Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

R:
    Thanks. Believe it or not, I was once enrolled in a Legal Assistant program. It was interesting enough, but I decided that I am more of a "hands on" type!
    Many moons ago.....

Retroit Guest

Wise move.

Perhaps not.
    Lost a good job two years ago. Bouncing around since unemployment compensation ran out. 1980 wages, various jobs.
    Healthy, though!

Thanks for the help.

Retroit Guest

In other words, you'd be happy to get paid even if it were via involuntary Direct Deposit.

Actually, the people I am working for now are a bit careless and inaccurate with their payroll. How they stay in business is not easily understood.
    I just feel better with a paper check. Call me a Luddite!

Retroit Guest

Bobl, if your Direct Deposit paycheck is incorrect, it can still be corrected. Direct Deposit doesn't prevent you from receiving pay due to you. The advantage of Direct Deposit is that you get your money immediately. It also prevents you from having to pay for a bounced paycheck [[been there!).

Blueidone is correct about the itemized statement, so you'll know if anything is amiss. Many companies provide this via the internet.

I'm not an attorney but I have some fairly recent experience with the very question you asked.

The law cited above permits an employer to pay an employee via direct deposit, but only with the employee's free and written consent.

In the event that an employer does pay an employee via direct deposit, the employer is required to provide the employee with a way to print the pay statement in a retainable form at the time the wages are paid. In most cases, the employee can do this from their assigned computer, but otherwise the employer must make a computer available for the employee to use for this purpose.