Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I think #122 is my favorite because it translates vertical to horizontal space. That's art² plus the mystery of the missing figures in that image.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-01-09 at 12:32 AM.

This is really a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    This is really a thread?
    No, it's just your imagination...

There are 208 now.

Update:
    To see all the banners on one page, save the attached code to a file on your disk named "Banners.htm" and display it in your browser.

Attachment 4145
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-06-09 at 03:00 PM.

dfunkycity Guest

Theres a picture of a building facade that has swastikas on it. What is that building?

dfunkycity Guest

actually, here it is. Can someone tell me where this is and what kind of nabe this was in the first half of the 20th century.

thanks

I am not sure what building that picture was taken from, but I think it highly likely that the building was constructed before the Nazi Party came to power in Germany. Before then, the swastika meant various things in different cultures, having religous or other symbolic meaning. In the West, the symbol is no longer used frequently because of its association with Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. I believe the swastika is still commonly used as a symbol in India.

That is Whirling Timbers, a powerful symbol for the Diné [[Navajo) and other indigenous nations. It depicts the cycles of life, the seasons, the path of the sun, and the four winds. It is good medicine.

Recent depictions of this design leave out the extensions to the timbers and just show the four timbers like an even leg cross. [[+)
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-03-09 at 08:39 PM.

dfunkycity Guest

Im not doubting your answers.

I realize this is a strong religeous symbol in many cultures and is sacred to many peoples but I do have one more question.

Is it possible that this area was a German enclave at the time of this building ?

In nyc the area on the upper eastside called Yorkville there was a huge German enclave during the first half of the 20th cent and there are many buildings with this same design.
    Ive also spotted this on Madison and 37th but it is not as prominent as this.
    Sometimes you have too look really close to see the design.

Yorkville was a big nazi supporting area and these designs were placed on buldings in the area I suppose to show support or as a secret sort of code.

There is one building on the corner of 86th and 2nd ave that has a plaque in
    the lobby and it tells the story of how the government used this place to question suspected nazis in the area.

Just wondering if this was a similar situation .

Thank you for your answers.
    Last edited by dfunkycity; December-03-09 at 08:59 PM.

I seriously doubt it. There are many buildings in Detroit that include American Indian designs. I am not sure which building this is, but the Penobscot Building has a lot of Indian designs worked into it. It was built in 1905, well before any Nazi use of the symbol known as the swastika.

As far as German enclaves, yes, there was one on the near east side. Jacoby's is the only remnant that I know of. The neighborhood well pre-dated the degeneration of the Nazi party.

Wikipedia has a fascinating discussion of the use of the Swastika: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western...y_20th_century
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-03-09 at 09:18 PM.

Swastikas from here...

dfunkycity Guest

Thank you Gazhekwe , the wiki page helped a lot.

Thank you Lowell, this answers my question and confirms what Gazhekwe was speaking about.

The buildings I have seen these on are tiny private owned tenements and such so the nazi connection is not as obvious as is the religeous/historical connection of this symbol on government buildings.

There are 228-1 now. Is 219 missing?

76 is a duplicate of 82 except it's missing the logo.

Update:
    To see all the banners on one page, save the attached code to a file on your disk named "Banners.htm" and display it in your browser.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-17-09 at 08:05 PM.

Thank you for reposting that file, Jimaz. I love this! I hadn't seen a lot of these.

#128, the stone construction, reminds me of the stone that was put there by the local people for Mishepishu on Belle Isle. Where is this picture taken?

I keep thinking it would be a good idea to put one there for ceremonies for Mishepishu, and let the spirits know. Maybe it would change our luck.

Lorax Guest

The Penobscot Building 1928 tower addition to the earlier smaller structure has swastickas carved into the facade, and are visible at around the second-third floor banding.

Lowell, I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to echo everyone else's praise for the banners. What a city!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Thank you for reposting that file, Jimaz. I love this! I hadn't seen a lot of these.
    You're most welcome, gazhekwe. All credits to Lowell for the carefully crafted photos. This is real art.

Someone help please, I cannot open up all the pics at once, or at least where I can browse through them. What am I doing wrong?

Gaz, 128 includes a stone sculpture by our Forum's very own, Django.

This is from Belle Isle, just east of the Coast Guard Station.

That is cool. I know the place. Mishepichu was at the other end, I think facing Lake Erie.

Django, did you change the extension from .txt to .htm? That worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Someone help please, I cannot open up all the pics at once, or at least where I can browse through them. What am I doing wrong?
    Django, be sure to get the latest update above. I had the same problem. Apparently Lowell moved the photos to another directory. The latest update adjusted for that.

If that doesn't work the problem might be due to a slow internet connection.

We're up to 248!

Update:
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-17-09 at 08:04 PM.

Breathtaking banners!

Jimaz, thanks for posting that. The banners are really great and add some extra vitality to the site.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast