Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Les Gruber. I had the pleasure of dining there on a few occasions. To tell the truth, I wasn't all that impressed with it at the time. Too stuffy and upscale, for my tastes, as much as I frequented what were considered fine dining establishments in those days : Joe Muers, Schweizer's, Mario's, Little Harry's, etc. I've worked with a few of the former 'Chop' employees over the ensuing years. The Chop was truly a legend though.
    I knew an old timer who once had been a rum-runner on the riverfront during prohibition. He claimed that small motorboats were able to enter a sewer that went beneath Schweizer’s. So that was one customary route for smuggling. Then drivers would stop there at night for meals or a drink while their trunks were loaded with cases of Canadian whiskey.

Also, there was another nice German restaurant in the Warehouse District [[Rivertown) called ‘The Brauhaus’ and located on a bricked stretch of Woodbridge St. across from Architectural Aluminum. The Brauhaus was open only for lunch and only on weekdays and usually was filled to capacity with workers from nearby businesses.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; August-31-20 at 12:39 PM.

I recently ate at the Caucus Club. Had a similar experience. Very expensive and wasn't very impressed. Not that the food was bad, it was good. But I think other new restaurants we've gotten lately are better and not as expensive.

I've heard the Chop House is even more uber pricey and stuffy. I can't imagine going to these places regularly unless money was of zero concern for me. But I guess these places are for uber wealthy executives downtown and not for the rest of us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2