Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1942

In looking at the aerials of Hamtramck from 1949, everything matches with Halleck and McKay, including the corner vacant lot. http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/par...49/ha-4-76.pdf

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Forgive me for wasting time and space as I had cataracts and now glaucoma but the first name that came to mind looking at the street sign is Wallace which is also in that general area. Anyone care to research Wallace?
    In Bing maps the only Wallace street that comes up is the one in the area of St. Cyril. Is that the one that you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    In Bing maps the only Wallace street that comes up is the one in the area of St. Cyril. Is that the one that you are referring to?
    Yep. It's only one block long.

Stosh Guest

Wallace meets at two places, Miller and St Thomas. Here are both as originally built. Note the short blocks, and the setbacks of houses. Not the street, it seems. First is Miller
    Attachment 3972

Attachment 3973

Thanks Stosh. I appreciate the effort.

This might be a stretch, but this photo was from the same series as the other two, same photographer, same date. I don't know if the address corresponds with any on the maps you have. It is possible that they just cruised up the same street snapping pictures. The style is a little different but it is titled bungalow in the Polish District. Are those numbers on the maps the addresses with a 1 before the actual address?
    Attachment 3974
    Last edited by old guy; August-09-10 at 02:58 PM.

Stosh Guest

Yes, those are the street addresses. I actually attempted to look for that house earlier today. I will give it a shot north of Hamtramck, as nothing corresponding to that look was in Hamtown.

And the addresses are not adding a 1 before them. Those are north/south street addresses. Halleck is east/west, in lower numbers.

Concievably, the area could have been in either the urban renewal zone in either the area of Holbrook and Joseph Campau [[4 possible streets) or within the Poletown area. The numbering is pretty consistent, and it follows that general area in a straight line.
    Last edited by Stosh; November-21-09 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    In looking at the aerials of Hamtramck from 1949, everything matches with Halleck and McKay, including the corner vacant lot. http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/par...49/ha-4-76.pdf
    Attached is a zoomed version of this intersection from the aerial maps. I am not sure this will help us come to a determination, wanted to put it out there. I've sharpened it with Photoshop to make it a bit clearer. I am not sure if this was the higher resolution map. If not, I will try to post a better quality version when I get time.

Retroit Guest

Am I missing something? What is the significance of locating this quite ordinary street? Or are we just bored?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Am I missing something? What is the significance of locating this quite ordinary street? Or are we just bored?
    I can't really say boredom plays into it. It's more of solving a mystery, even though it's no more mundane than an ordinary street.

Am I missing something?
    It should have its own thread with the title "Old Car Factory Workers Houses" ;-)

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    It should have its own thread with the title "Old Car Factory Workers Houses" ;-)
    I was going to post the picture of the Art Deco WWJ Detroit studio, but I'm sure you guys know where that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    Excuse my typo....in the above post DPW should read DPD...a police helicopter pilot.
    No, the name Golabek escapes me at the moment, Sludge.

Retroit, on the old board the crown of being 'photo detective' was a highly prized award. Jjaba crafted the awards in his Westside shop and sent them to the winners. Jjaba still owes MikeM a couple dozen.

here is an old one.:
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1170294707

this 'photo detective' thread is maybe one of the best...
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1170347060
    Last edited by gnome; November-21-09 at 05:59 PM.

Retroit Guest

Alright. I just thought maybe someone actually had a logical reason for determining the location. It looks to me like any one of the other thousands of generic streets of generic houses [[formerly known as "McMansions" by those who didn't think Detroit should ever expand beyond Grand Boulevard. But that's another post.)

...carry on...

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Alright. I just thought maybe someone actually had a logical reason for determining the location. It looks to me like any one of the other thousands of generic streets of generic houses [[formerly known as "McMansions" by those who didn't think Detroit should ever expand beyond Grand Boulevard. But that's another post.)

...carry on...
    Indeed. I'm just waiting for the sustainability arguments.

Default DYes talent

There is a lot of talent on this forum. If you need it found, they will find it. The only pic that wasn't located in here was a Christmas parade pic from Oopik if I remember correctly

Anybody know where Oopik went to? Sure do miss his photo quizes.

I noticed in the far distance of the photo is what appears to be a smoke stack and/or water tower. It's just to the right of the Halleck sign, but of course way off in the distance.

If we stand on Halleck and look north on Mackay, way down at the corner of Lawley, we see [[today) what is an industrial-type building of sorts. It is conceivable that the smoke stack and/or water tower were fixed on the building that was once on this lot. See attached picture from Bing maps.

Stosh Guest

What's the chances that the Highland Park water tower could be seen from there?

There's only so much Soduko one can handle.

I noticed in the far distance of the photo is what appears to be a smoke stack and/or water tower. It's just to the right of the Halleck sign, but of course way off in the distance.
    I think it's just a tall telephone pole, maybe down at the Lawley Street intersection.

The house in the picture selling war damage insurance has an address number of 2671. Here's a map of the area with streets highlighted in red that have addresses between 2600 and 2800. Most fall between Jos Campau on the east and MacKay on the west.

Attachment 3983

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    What's the chances that the Highland Park water tower could be seen from there?
    Highland Park didn't have a water tower, they had a reservoir at 6 Mile and Dequindre.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Highland Park didn't have a water tower, they had a reservoir at 6 Mile and Dequindre.
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r21...C%20MI%2048207

Oh, you mean the "new" water tower. lol

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast