Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1942

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I believe that's Halleck St., which runs a block or two north of the northern Hamtramck border at Carpenter. So it certainly accords with the description. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that it's the corner of Halleck and Klinger, a couple blocks west of Conant, where Halleck takes a big jog and could appear in a picture to dead end.
    That's hard to argue with, but...If we're looking north on Klinger, where's the gap in houses for McClean Street? If we're looking south, the house styles don't match. And I think it's an illusion that Halleck jogs at this intersection. It might, but I can't tell just by looking at the left edge of the complete original:

Attachment 3946

Looks like there was an empty lot at the far left, so maybe it was a corner lot and Halleck ran straight thru.

Michigan Stamp & Coin was at 1911 5th Street, where MGM is now.

On further consideration: Given the orientation of the houses and their size, the only safe bets are that the street is either MacKay, Maine, Charest, Gallagher, Klinger or Moran.

http://tinyurl.com/yk6o2l2

First time I've seen one of those Bing views. How do they pull that angle off?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    First time I've seen one of those Bing views. How do they pull that angle off?
    My guess is they fly over in a grid and have a four-lens camera with lenses at 45-degree angles, then let the software stitch it all together. Pretty neat, huh?

Moran, then?

Great pics and thread! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Moran, then?
    Maybe. Looking north? Maybe south on Charest? Possibly one of the streets west of Jos Campau: Arlington or MacKay?

The dormers on those houses all have three windows. Looks like the ones on Klingman only have two, but who knows how much these homes have been modified since then? Also, Klingman has a line of utility poles along the street.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Maybe. Looking north? Maybe south on Charest? Possibly one of the streets west of Jos Campau: Arlington or MacKay?

The dormers on those houses all have three windows. Looks like the ones on Klingman only have two, but who knows how much these homes have been modified since then? Also, Klingman has a line of utility poles along the street.
    Good point. I've seen some dormers added in the old Polish neighborhood north of Hamtramck over just the last few years, so they do change quite a bit. The utility poles seem to never change, though. Maybe I should swing through the hood. I live quite near there.

Here's my addition to the photos! This is from 1946 and it was taken on Woodward between Charlotte and Peterboro. Thanks for posting the pictures I love looking at them.

I just can't seem to get enough of these old photos, what it must have been back in that day

"Midtown Vortex?" was my favorite thread ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jlnascar View Post
    I just can't seem to get enough of these old photos, what it must have been back in that day
    I know. I'm none too happy we traded all this in for ... what? Drive-in garages? Chemical lawn care?

Quote Originally Posted by mbshan View Post
    Here's my addition to the photos! This is from 1946 and it was taken on Woodward between Charlotte and Peterboro. Thanks for posting the pictures I love looking at them.
    Nice shot, Woodward between Charlotte and Peterboro. Thanksgiving Day?

This one is titled The Ritz Tavern/near the outskirts of Detroit. 1941. I wonder how close in the outskirts were?
    Attachment 3951
    Last edited by old guy; August-09-10 at 02:59 PM.

The 1920 and 1923 Detroit City Directories list "The Ritz Restaurant" at 4731 Woodward, between Forest and Hancock.Don't know if this is the same place and it's not very far out, but during the 20's there were no taverns.

Was that a different bus station than the one off Larned with the Motel on the first floor? It sure does not look like it as it was set-up quite differently, though it was a steamline modern building and could have been from that vintage. The pic reeminds me a lot of the one in Cleveland I was in in 1984.

If I could travel back in time in Detroit I would chose to go back to work-emigrant crowded, arsenal of democracy WWII Detroit and rum-running, car maker for the world, richest city in the world late 20's Detroit.

I have a 1942 map of Detroit including downtown with every store footprint shown. With the closing of the Alcove only Louis the Hatter, Simmons and Clark Jewelry and maybe one of the coneys remain from that era. What they don't show are the news stands like the great picture above. I just love threads like this.

Detroit Greyhound Station 1942/FSA Photo
    Attachment 3954
    Last edited by old guy; August-09-10 at 02:59 PM.

Love that Vortex thread. A kinder gentler thread time.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Was that a different bus station than the one off Larned with the Motel on the first floor? It sure does not look like it as it was set-up quite differently, though it was a steamline modern building and could have been from that vintage. The pic reeminds me a lot of the one in Cleveland I was in in 1984.
    It's the old Greyhound station on Washington Blvd. and Grand River [[current site of Trolley Plaza).

I had a beautiful brunette Polish girlfriend who lived at 12404 Klinger. Notice there is only one car parked on the street.

I take that back. There are several more cars down the block on the expanded picture.

I feel fairly confident this is it.
    Attachment 3955

Oh, and that's Charest Street, looking south from Halleck. Shot it on the way to work this a.m.

http://tinyurl.com/y93nhl2

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oh, and that's Charest Street, looking south from Halleck. Shot it on the way to work this a.m.

http://tinyurl.com/y93nhl2
    Close, but no cigar. The number of windows in the peak don't match.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast