Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Work continues today...

Yeah, I swung by today on my way into work. Only one piece of the railing left. Got some photos.

Are they demolishing that cornice line or taking it off piece by piece so it can be reinstalled when they've built a new building behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Are they demolishing that cornice line or taking it off piece by piece so it can be reinstalled when they've built a new building behind it?
    I HOPE that's what they're doing. Seems like they're being careful, though I don't know why they'd need to take the railing down if they're saving the facade. Then again, I'm not a structural engineer.

Last post was made exactly one year ago. In stead of posting a fresh topic on the Fine Arts Building, I resurrected this thread from the deep end of the forum. The reason is this picture. For sheer quality value; what an astonishing picture!

[[Via Smugmug.)
    Have there been any recent developments?

DetroitDad Guest

Default Fine Arts Update

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Have there been any recent developments?
    There most certainly has.

First, the facade is now lit up at night, and the sidewalks are now taken care of. The structure is constantly being worked on, and there is some work going on at street level. I'm not sure if this is for the street or the Fine Arts Building. I'm sure the Subway next door has seen business improve, with all the construction workers in the area.

For those of us used to a Downtown ghost town of the last decade, Grand Circus Park is very much alive, and vitality has returned. Still, Grand Circus Park's best days are still ahead, and the people are still far and few between... but there are people utilizing the park now!

I haven't heard anything but have a rear view of the facade I uploaded awhile back...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gab482/4305854151/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gab482/...n/photostream/

I'm curious how they assess a wall for property taxes if it's going to be standing there for the next decade. Do they treat it like vacant land or are they gonna say it's worth a million bucks?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2