Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Chicken soup, that was suppose to be funny, the Pretenders are a group from Ohio.
    I totally get it, I'm not as crispy as some around here, but I do have a foggy recollection of Mitch Ryder. Knees all over the place, the microphone, etc. I just thought the Outsiders from Cleveland [["Did you love her? No no no-oh-oh. Did you hug her, no-no-no-no-no-no-oh-oh") captured that finger-snapping essence better than the "studied" Chrissy Hynde [[spelling).

Two quick things. First, he played the medley based on audience requests written on signs. He went around & collected various signs with song titles on them, then they played the ones he chose.

Second, he said “Detroit” several times & mentioned the Detroit Pistons, he just kept saying Ohio. So he knew he was in Detroit, but he kept getting the state wrong.

Who cares? It was hilarious, and an awesome show.

He's been doing that Mitch Ryder medley for years.
    Detroit, Ohio, the home of Rock and Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Awfavre View Post
    Two quick things. First, he played the medley based on audience requests written on signs. He went around & collected various signs with song titles on them, then they played the ones he chose.
    I saw him in Minneapolis, in 1979, and those gopher-heads wouldn't have known Ryder from the man-on-the-moon. And if he was playing songs off of signs, I would have held up "Green Manalishi" just to bust his balls. Bottom line: he plays Ryder because he feels like it, and that's cool by me, and there's nothing phony or show-biz about it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Who cares? It was hilarious, and an awesome show.
    I do. I thought it was interesting. And as I said above, I loved the show.

Hey, he more than made up for his faux pas. He definitely gives you your money's worth with those long shows.

I was at the concert, and it was hard to tell at first that he wasn't just joking around. During his first song, he changed a lyric to something like 'while we watch Ohio burn' [[which doesn't sound pro-Buckeye state, does it?) and changed a lyric to 'where the Pistons play the games' [[so it sounded like he knew he was in Michigan. But then he kept mentioning Ohio, and that's when Little Steven Van Zandt had to inform him of the gaffe, and he said, "I've been waiting for 40 years to f*** that one up! Every frontman's worst nightmare!"

As someone else said, it's hard to hate on a guy who played for nearly 3 hours, especially at the age of 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    "The future of rock n roll...Bruce Springsteen's fuck'in it all up."

As said by Pee Wee Herman in the Cheech and Chong movie Nice Dreams.
    Love that movie. The seen in the restaurant [[I believe chinese restaurant) was classic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2