Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlivingstonseagull View Post
    Care to explain how Hudson's was "national"? Outside of Michigan, there was one store in Ohio and two in Indiana.
    Wasn't there one for a hot second in downtown Columbus that became a Marshal Fields shortly after Day/Hud bought MF?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Wasn't there one for a hot second in downtown Columbus that became a Marshal Fields shortly after Day/Hud bought MF?
    I think that was Marshall Field's from day one. The downtown Columbus project occurred during the same period that MF decided to expand into Texas. The venture into the big TX cities didn't work out for MF, nor did Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Review your notes and take the exam again, you appeared to have failed history....
    Where did JL Hudson have another store than the downtown store prior to Northland?

Hudson's only expanded out of Detroit as the suburban and regional malls were built.

Dayton-Hudson did have other stores in the midwest AFTER Dayton's and Hudson's merged.

Hudson's had a store on W Warren in E Dearborn attached to its warehouse. I can recall the location as a young fella, but that was long after Northland was built. The building probably dates to the 1930's and was built to be a multi-story retail outlet.

Stosh Guest

Imagining that retail has a place in Downtown Detroit these days is rather like thinking that one can board the Bob-Lo boat midnite cruise this Friday. It's possible, but would take a lot of work to pull it off.

Note that I didn't say impossible. The "Merchant's Row" blocks will never become a retail presence in it's current form. Restaurants maybe. General retail? Not likely.

If I had a preference, I'd think that Detroit could remake itself through art galleries, limited specialty retail and restaurants through that area. Of course, that would entail the City subsidizing some of the startups with cash incentives, and possibly enabling the building owners to fix up their premises through creative tax structuring. Or demolition. Put out a RFP and see what comes out of it.

LodgeDodger Guest

Posted: 3:08 p.m. July 22, 2010

Financing for Meijer’s Detroit store in the works

By GRETA GUEST
    FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Nearly a year after Meijer said it would build its first Detroit store, the retailer still doesn’t know when it can start building.

Hank Meijer, co-chairman and chief executive officer of the Grand Rapids-based grocery and general merchandise store chain, said the developer is working on financing and he hopes it comes together this fall.

“We are excited about the possibility of opening our first store in the city of Detroit,” Meijer said in a speech this afternoon to the International Council of Shopping Centers at a gathering in Novi.

Meijer has signed on to build a 190,000-square-foot store that would anchor the Shoppes at Detroit’s Gateway Park at Eight Mile and Woodward. The entire $90-million development is expected to create more than 600 jobs and includes a 28,000-square-foot Marshalls store and others.

“Not only do we think there are customers in that area of the north side of the city would welcome a supermarket alternative, but other shopping alternatives are pretty limited as well,” Meijer said.

If the developer gets funding this fall, Meijer could open its store in 2012, said Michael Kinstle, vice president of real estate for the 195-store chain.

Besides the Meijer and Marshalls space, there is an additional 173,000 square feet of retail space to lease including four parcels in the parking lot for dining and a bank, said Jim Stokas, principal of Southfield-based Stokas Realty Advisors.

Stokas said the space is 60% committed now. He said the Detroit Pension Fund, which is providing financing, wants to have all the tax credits the project is eligible for in place before it signs off.

“Luckily, the retailers are hanging in there. How long they wait, I don’t know,” Stokas said.

Contact GRETA GUEST: 313-223-4192 or gguest@freepress.com.
    I guess the complaints about a good grocery and multi-department store in Detroit can soon be put to rest. ;-)

Eight Mile and Woodward is NOT downtown.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Eight Mile and Woodward is NOT downtown.
    Well now, excuse me. This thread is titled, "Woodward Avenue Retail Development Activity". Perhaps it should be changed to DOWNTOWN Woodward Avenue Retail Development Activity.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Well now, excuse me. This thread is titled, "Woodward Avenue Retail Development Activity". Perhaps it should be changed to DOWNTOWN Woodward Avenue Retail Development Activity.
    Good point, I guess it should have also been in the title, not just the opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Good point, I guess it should have also been in the title, not just the opening post.
    Yes, but a point about 8 mile and Woodward doesn't really derail the thread.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Cross Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yes, but a point about 8 mile and Woodward doesn't really derail the thread.
    Good point.

Cross post to; Over 15 New Retailers, Restaurants, Offices, & Bars Open on Lower Woodward Avenue

With new office tenants coming to Campus Martius and Grand Circus Park, there are a ton of new coming soon signs all over Downtown, and others that have opened within the past year.
    Sinful Sweeties, 7 Sins of Chocolate - a new chocolate and pastry shop in the Kresge Shops has more items for purchase, and I believe do cakes now. - OPEN NOW!
    Chez-Zara - a small place selling hummus, Italian espresso, desserts, breads, fresh greens, and a lot more. I stopped by and Aaron, one of the managers gave me some things to dry, they were amazing! - Opening Memorial Weekend. Chez-Zara is in the Kresge Shops, and Aaron mentioned that they will have an outdoor patio, adding some life to Woodward.
    What Appears to be two clothing stores is in the Kresge Shops, one of which has an awful lot of Ralph Lauren racks.
    In addition to the new 5 and 10 Bar, there is a 5 and 10 Diner opening with a full selection of very reasonably priced sandwiches, as well as malted milk shakes, soda, and desserts.
    There is a new Insurance Agency with a cute little "coming soon" sign in the window, that has taken the place of the bail bonds place on Woodward. As I was taking my picture, Terry the owner ran out, thinking I was making fun of her sign, as other passerbys had done. I insisted I was not, and told her I was posting about her shop on DetroitYES.com. HI TERRY!.
    There is a new bar in the FYFE Building, and a new Bar-B-Que place opening right behind it in the smaller building on West Adams.
    There is a new legal aide and services place in the upper floors of Studio Couture and the Red Rose Flower Shop on Woodward.
    There is also a new fresh produce store opening nearby on Washington Boulevard, more on that later.
    New awnings for the new Fountain Cafe are up, and work is being done in the former Au Bon Paine cafe in Campus Martius Park.
    There is a Tim Hortons now open in the Compuware Building.
    Several people who work in a couple of the above mentioned shops have told me that Bleu may be reopening, or opening as some sort of event venue.
    I am told that a well-known pizza place has signed a lease agreement for the Kales building, and still plans on opening this year.
    There are some new street vendors on Woodward at Grand Circus Park selling African collectibles, and some scented oils, as well as a new vendor coming to the Campus Martius Park area, also opening Memorial Day weekend, selling small jewelry, necklaces, and accessories for the young ladies. More on them later too.
    A slushy place appears to be opening in the Kresge Shops.
    Two other jewelry and accessory boutiques appear to be opening in the Kresge Shops.
    A new wine shop has opened on Campus Martius Park.

Everyone appears to be smaller, but the owners and workers were all very nice, and I am excited to see the foot traffic this Summer. I do fear that some of these places may not survive without major anchors, but still it is good to see after the rash of closings we had. Unfortunately, there are roughly 50 vacant storefronts that still take up most of lower Woodward between Grand Circus Park and Campus Martius Park, and the Vinton Building, as well as the Fowler Building have reportedly gone into foreclosure, and may now be for sale again, the plans of which fell through, I am guessing.

View thread for pictures.

Huh, Nordstrom's? :-) I used to go shopping at Target in DC's Columbia Heights neighborhood. It was located in one of those new-fangled urbanized mall-type complexes. Detroit could definitely pull that off, in principle, but it probably has to add some density for it to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Huh, Nordstrom's? :-) I used to go shopping at Target in DC's Columbia Heights neighborhood. It was located in one of those new-fangled urbanized mall-type complexes. Detroit could definitely pull that off, in principle, but it probably has to add some density for it to make sense.

MacArthur Mall was built in downtown Norfolk and has been somewhat successful.

http://www.shopmacarthur.com/

I think that a Buffalo Wild Wings would do good in Greektown in the former Sweet Georgia Brown building. That would be a good fit. It would also increase the pedestrial traffic betweein Campus Martius to Greektown

Over 90,000 people are in downtown Detroit each workday. Capture on that market to start off a retail renaissance.
    More people are in downtown Detroit each day than anywhere else in Michigan. 90,000 is a large number to have in one spot each day, and even the most high performing suburban malls do not get that many people in a day.

Capture these people while they are downtown.

It's the old problem that office people will not sustain retail. As I said before, it's a spotty group, creating a high point in traffic during the lunch hour and maybe after work. Resturants get a boost, though. In general though, office workers are not nearly enough to support a viable shopping district much outside of the building they work in.

Zef's would do go in the Campus Martius area for the menu is not pricey such as the other restaurants in the area with the exception of the three Coney Islands. Most people are brown bagging there lunch during this recession. Open restaurants in the area that are not too pricey. The downtown officer workers would probably go there to eat. The only McDonalds and Burger King is in the GM building. They should be somewhere along the strip also. You would see then which restaurant would get most of the downtown customers. Tim Horton's should try opening on a Saturday for a trial run. I had asked the manager will the store be open on Saturday. The manager's response was no for there isn't anything going on Saturdays. I had told him that events are held on Saturdays in downtown Detroit. He had said that he would look into it. I guess he had decicded to stick to his plan to remain closed on the weekend. We have managers such as he who lack common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Zef's would do go in the Campus Martius area for the menu is not pricey such as the other restaurants in the area with the exception of the three Coney Islands. Most people are brown bagging there lunch during this recession. Open restaurants in the area that are not too pricey. The downtown officer workers would probably go there to eat. The only McDonalds and Burger King is in the GM building. They should be somewhere along the strip also. You would see then which restaurant would get most of the downtown customers. Tim Horton's should try opening on a Saturday for a trial run. I had asked the manager will the store be open on Saturday. The manager's response was no for there isn't anything going on Saturdays. I had told him that events are held on Saturdays in downtown Detroit. He had said that he would look into it. I guess he had decicded to stick to his plan to remain closed on the weekend. We have managers such as he who lack common sense.
    No, you can run a five day week just needing fillers for vacation and the sick. Going beyond five days introduces a new dynamic in staffing. This is why the post office could save so much going to five day a week delivery.

I may have to change my tune about the possability of a major "department store" retailer moving into downtown after reading this article in this morning's Seattle Times about Target moving into downtown Seattle:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._target31.html

Seattle has a large downtown residential population, and a pretty good retail core. Do you think Detroit has enough downtown residents yet to support something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I may have to change my tune about the possability of a major "department store" retailer moving into downtown after reading this article in this morning's Seattle Times about Target moving into downtown Seattle:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._target31.html

Seattle has a large downtown residential population, and a pretty good retail core. Do you think Detroit has enough downtown residents yet to support something like this?
    Absolutely. A target store on Woodward in downtown would be HUGE. Everyone who lives in downtown, midtown, and along the riverfront would shop it. The problem with the stores stuggling in that location now is that they are all niche and botique shops. I don't know the last time I bought handcrafted jewelry or fancy pastries, but I buy deodorant, paper towels, soap, etc. almost every week. I loath driving to the suburbs to get these items. If they carried canned/pre-packagedfood items that would also be HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Absolutely. A target store on Woodward in downtown would be HUGE. Everyone who lives in downtown, midtown, and along the riverfront would shop it.
    You'd also get some workers, too. Once the M-1 is going in a few years, they'd get plenty of DMC medical folks and WSU students, faculty and staff shopping there. It'd be nice if it were a SuperTarget like the one on Telegraph. Target on the second floor, and parking/perhaps some smaller tenants below. I could definitely see something like that working on say, the old Hudson's block [[although purists may scream).

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I could definitely see something like that working on say, the old Hudson's block [[although purists may scream).
    Well hey, Target is the successor of Hudson's/Dayton's so it may not be that bad.

Target acquired and later sold Macy's, which is the successor of Hudson's.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Well hey, Target is the successor of Hudson's/Dayton's so it may not be that bad.

I hate to be the turd in the punchbowl... but a Target downtown would likely only be a lure to...

1) Downtown/Midtown [[and other areas of Detroit) residents.
    2) Downtown/Midtown workers who LIVE in the area... suburban workers in downtown and midtown would likely continue to shop at their suburban stores, rather than forego eating lunch at lunch time... [[what's the incentive to shop there on their lunch hour, even with an M1 connector??).
    3) Windsor shoppers who come to Detroit and don't want to travel that far to the burbs to shop at Target.

Target is just not a destination place....

Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, and Allen Park all have Targets in very close proximity, so the threshold in target population is probably pretty low. It's probably more a question of zip code income. You may also need a "lead" retailer to drag Target into a complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I hate to be the turd in the punchbowl... but a Target downtown would likely only be a lure to...

1) Downtown/Midtown [[and other areas of Detroit) residents.
    2) Downtown/Midtown workers who LIVE in the area... suburban workers in downtown and midtown would likely continue to shop at their suburban stores, rather than forego eating lunch at lunch time... [[what's the incentive to shop there on their lunch hour, even with an M1 connector??).
    3) Windsor shoppers who come to Detroit and don't want to travel that far to the burbs to shop at Target.

Target is just not a destination place....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast