Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

from www.merriam-webster.com

Main Entry: 1use
    Pronunciation: \ˈyüs\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English us, from Anglo-French, from Latin usus, from uti to use
    Date: 13th century
    1 a : the act or practice of employing something : employment, application <he made good use of his spare time> b : the fact or state of being used <a dish in daily use> c : a method or manner of employing or applying something <gained practice in the use of the camera>

Main Entry: 1abuse
    Pronunciation: \ə-ˈbyüs\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French abus, from Latin abusus, from abuti to consume, from ab- + uti to use
    Date: 15th century
    1 : a corrupt practice or custom
    2 : improper or excessive use or treatment : misuse <drug abuse>
    3 obsolete : a deceitful act : deception
    4 : language that condemns or vilifies usually unjustly, intemperately, and angrily
    5 : physical maltreatment

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    These folks are going on some notion that there will be some that will just destroy themselves, but the rest will be ok. "The rest" will be paying for the medical and rehabilitation costs for people that get in over their heads.
    And that's not happening, now?

Drugs are so easy to grow, transport, conceal, consume etc. It would be nothing like alcohol.
    I can make beer and/or wine in my backyard or basement, too. Many folks do.

But I don't. Know why? Because it's easier, cheaper, and faster to buy it from somebody else.

The same would be true for weed. Economies of scale, my friend...economies of scale.

There would be those who choose to grow their own, just as there are people who plant truck gardens every year. But that wouldn't impact the market, much, anymore than home-grown vegetables make a significant impact on the food economy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    How it works out for me? The link was for the folks who wish their taxes were higher. They can lead by example. Interesting that you seem appalled by the idea, yet you want new taxes. Hmm.
    Appalled? No, rather amused. My taxes won't go up, since I have no intention of becoming a pot-head. I'll let you worry about your taxes.

ccbatson Guest

What was the point of your definition cut and paste there Rb?

Blarf Guest

Quote: "Reading some of the stuff you have posted regarding our failed hypocritical war a drugs, we can all say the same about you and your reasoning and lack of life experience."

When you have buried a close friend from drug abuse and more than one, you come to realize there is a consequence to abuse. This talk about opening the script cabinets and putting it out on the shelves, and "just tax it" is just plotter-pen off the paper cuckoo. The US is made up of the most spoiled and undisciplined people on the planet. Our society would evaporate in no time.
    You're friend is responsible for his own actions. Not everyone abuses the drugs they use. Alcohol kills more people than all other illegal drugs combined, yet I doubt you seriously believe an adult shouldn't have the right to have a drink.

Blarf Guest

Quote:

We have legal alcohol, that is enough.

No it's not.

Either make it all legal, or all legal. Drawling an imaginary line and saying you can put these harmful substances into your body, but not those ones, is hypocritical and solves nothing.

No matter what any of you say, myself and people like myself in the majority do not want them legalized. Good luck.

ccbatson Guest

Let's get this straight..using mind altering drugs for recreation is dangerous ad very unwise...so? How does that make it the government's job to inject itself into the issue?

Blarf Guest

No matter what any of you say, myself and people like myself in the majority do not want them legalized. Good luck.
    Congrats on your victory. The policies you support are doing an excellent job at stopping the illegal use and sale of narcotics.

ccbatson Guest

Well done sarcasm Blarf...true

They will never be legalized. Look at what they are doing with cigarettes, taxing them into, and suing the manufacturers into extinction. Think there won't be lawsuits on drug manufacturers?

Quote: "The policies you support are doing an excellent job at stopping the illegal use and sale of narcotics."

They would if people would simply abide by the law. Don't get caught.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; November-22-09 at 03:19 AM.

Blarf Guest

They would if people would simply abide by the law.
    When you criminalize something that isn't a real crime, people probably aren't going to abide by it.

Everyone at some point has probably gone at least 1 mph over the speed limit, so I guess we are all criminals.

ccbatson Guest

Going too far with that slippery slope argument IMO Blarf...but the point is well taken.

Quote: "When you criminalize something that isn't a real crime,"

Selling a dangerous substance to someone and knowing it will destroy their internal organs, is that a real crime in your estimation? Why do you think these cigarette manufacturers are getting sued into oblivion? There is probably an army of attorneys that are hoping for legalization.

Knowingly selling a drug that will make it's way to grade school kids, is that a real crime in your estimation? Who do the Mom's and Dad's sue now? Name brands? Cha-ching.

You guys are living some sort of fantasy realm. Bats considering your vocation, and understanding the ramifications of drug usage and abuse, I'm surprised at your view.

ccbatson Guest

Legitimate laws that protect participants in commerce would address the issue of deception...a moot point.

Blarf Guest

Selling a dangerous substance to someone and knowing it will destroy their internal organs, is that a real crime in your estimation? .
    Nope.

Forcing someone to take a dangerous substance that will destroy their internal organs I would consider a crime though.

If an adult chooses to put something into their own body, that's their business.

Blarf Guest

Knowingly selling a drug that will make it's way to grade school kids, is that a real crime in your estimation?
    Unless it's knowingly sold to minors directly, than no.

Well, for legalization, you'll need to find a country where it is legal. Not happening here. The people don't want it.

[quote=Sstashmoo;91559]Quote:

"When you have buried a close friend from drug abuse and more than one, you come to realize there is a consequence to abuse. "

Ive buried a few friends myself due to drugs. Most of them were overdoses from unregulted street drugs. No user really knows what their getting everytime they open a seal/pack of dope and shoot it. Not to mention all thoes killed over drugs which of course wouldnt be happening if they were regulated.

That's a myth the legalize crowd use, few people go to prison over drugs.

Is that some kind of joke? Our prison population has doubled since Regan reintroduced the "war on drugs" back in the 80s. By the way, the largest in the world. Land of the free.

Sounds like they need to invoke stiffer penalties.

Blarf Guest

Yes, because punishing adults and locking them up for putting something into their own bodies makes sense.

Quote: "Yes, because punishing adults and locking them up for putting something into their own bodies makes sense."

You folks are laughable, only for independence when it behooves you.

Sounds like they need to invoke stiffer penalties.

And your idea of stiffer penalties would be what? Maybe you could somehow claim drug users souls as endentured servants to any well meaning anti drug ding dongs afterlife.

You have to be joking Sstash, I dont follow your posts all that much but you must be doing this for some kind of amusement.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast