Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default What is your favorite summertime activity?

It’s the Tiger’s opening day. Which means summer weather is only a few weeks away. What is your favorite summertime activity? Kayaking the Detroit River works for me.

Belle Isle beach or Riverfront. My aunt also likes to have picnincs in the park across the street from her, so I always look foward to those. Also, the same aunt, decks out her garage every summer into a party room so that every weekend there is a party.

Not so much as an activity - as inactivity! Sitting by the shore of Lake Erie with a good book. Listening to the waves. Watching the pleasure boats roaming the lake. Watching the kids swimming in the lake, and playing on the shore in the sand. Having family and friends over for picnics.

Those are my favorite things to do. Don't always get to do them because of other pressing issues - but it is what I enjoy most about summer.

Petoskey stone hunting along the shore of Lake Michigan and the Cherry Festival in Traverse City. Also eating a slice of cherry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...Yummm!!

Check out my customized DYes profile to see what I mean. I hope to post some old pics that I took up there at our cottage in NW lower MI, in my photo album once I get my scanner operating.

ccbatson Guest

Getting the old classic cars out of mothballs and heading to Woodward on a nice dry day.

Picnics and drives to Belle Isle and Kensington. Travels to Ludington and the Lake Michigan shoreline. Visits to Dow Gardens in Midland.

In my younger days before I retired and moved west, it was heading out to an Oakland county lake in pursuit of old man largemouth bass. A few perch thrown onto the stringer were a bonus. On infrequent occasions tying into a bowfin [[dogfish) provided a great battle between line and fish, although the species is a junk fish. My favorite lakes were Pontiac Lake and Lower Pettibone Lake in Highland Township.

I'd frequently head out at sundown and fish all night. Just me, the stars, my thermos, and the bullfrogs. Heaven on earth. I miss it.

I noticed that you did not mention the State Bird, aka mosquitos....

I just wanted to get this going again. I was out on the river in the kayak this morning and the weather was perfect.

I love pretty much everything that brings me downtown. I love all the festivals at Hart Plaza, the fireworks, and the riverwalk especiallY!

In my last few years in the area before leaving the state for good almost a decade ago, I lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, so summer for me was DEFINED by the opening of the city pool at Lakefront Park. Then when it shut down after Labor Day I would go into a state of depression. Every year I used to count down the 260-plus days between Labor Day and Memorial Day Weekend. I used to really crack up my colleagues when I would tell them "Only 263 days left!" and they would know exactly what I was talking about!!!!

When I was a young kid my summertime favorite was going to Metropolitan Beach.

And another favorite - and one that endures as a favorite to this day - is bike riding. The best part of all is now I live in Arizona and I can go out and ride and run almost every day of the year without even worrying to look out the window to try to figure out the weather in advance. With the exception of maybe half a dozen days a year, I KNOW the weather's going to be good.

I've been spoiled out here. I wouldn't be able to last a week in Michigan anymore. On the rare occasions when we have more than two consecutive days of clouds down here, I go nuts!

ccbatson Guest

Nobody else thinks the Dream cruise is a world class summer event?

Some people do , but won't admit it cause you say it is.

ccbatson Guest

Their loss.

When I lived there ..ahhh the lakes and Fishing, Scuba and Swimming...Bike rides and picinics in the Metro parks and the Isle...now that I am living away: VIsiting Michigan ....I hope to make it there to my Grandparents farm...in Traverse City .

Hiking and Biking [[hoping to trade to a Hybred bike from a road bike) and Canoeing the Buffalo River in Arkansas...saw my first huge Cottom Mouth of the season while riding my bike and would trade it for Michigans birds any day...

have a safe summer..and yes politics are worth deabting over a beer and a brat with good friends...to all

When I lived there, summer was a special time of many happy memories.

Romancing your favorite up and coming lady on a Saturday. Happily "spendin" on her all day, just to see her smile. Serenading her with charms hoping for a blush. Anticipating her opening up in the groove you two are sharing. Watching her over an early dinner as she tells you about her.

Then a late afternoon drive around Belle Isle with her sitting next to you. Drinking in the breeze. Music sounding great and fitting the mood. Walking arm in arm to the pier. Talk.

Drop her off at her place at 8pm with instructions to be ready when you return at 11pm. Go see friends or family for a couple of hours. Laugh and relax. Snack on some ribs at your Mom and Dads house. Make sure the wax on your car is looking right. Kiss your mother and hug your father. Next, go home to get fresh and clean. Then at 11pm, your lady looks great when she greets you at her door. Hang at her place for a little while, then go out.

Many a Detroiter has enjoyed some variation on this theme.

ccbatson Guest

Here is a new [[ish) one for me...taking your dogs [[if they like to swim) to a lake is great, but messy, fun.

Eating fresh corn!

ccbatson Guest

This weekend is the highland games on Saturday and the Concourse De Elegance on Sunday.