Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Calling FNemecek...
    Oh, it's always nice to be singled out for a comment.

The day of the M-L demolition was nothing if not interesting for me. If anyone wants to read my reconstructed play-by-play commentary, it's available @ http://nemecek.blogspot.com/2005/05/...u-will-go.html

As an interesting side note, I ended up having a conversation with former Mayor Kilpatrick several months after that day. He told me that the Madison-Lenox was demolished "to test the limits of the HDC".

Beautiful.

Oh, and the world gained another lawyer because of it.

"The removal of the Madison-Lenox will have an adverse impact on the integrity of the Harmonie Park Historic District."

Have to wonder who would not want the Harmonie Park Historic District to be maintained as such.

#1. [quote=Lowell - influenced the Ilitch organization's decision to at least preserve the Fine Arts theater's facade. I would like to think it did and that it had caused them the rethink the treatment of the other vacant architectural gems in their portfolio.

#2. I would also argue against the lumping of Ilitch with Kilpatrick and particularly Moroun. #3. Ilitch, on the other hand, is arguably the initiator of the downtown revival with his restoration of the Fox Theater and building and moving his business operations into Detroit when everybody else was running and dumping their properties. #4. Add his acquiring two lame sport franchises and turning them into championship teams, with all the revenue that has brought to Detroit, and well he ain't no Matty Moroun.

#5. As for the KK, Ilitch was notably absent among the big-money big players who bribed, er loaned, KK money.[/quote]
    #1. You can think that if you like. Illitch's performance so far shows no such indication of enlightened thought or intentions. #2.Illitch's benign neglect and active destruction is not good for Detroit, Detroiters or Michigan. Aesthetically, historically or morale wise. #3. I suggest that had any number of other people been handed the Fox, millions of dollars of incentives and political influence, they might have done the same Illitch did. #4. Ditto for the sports teams. Illitch knew in each case he'd get all the preferable treatment, including tax deals, he wanted and probably new stadia. His experience with the Fox told him that. #5. The jury is still out on this one. You never know what may pop-up next.

Another sane and well-reasoned post.

jeeze

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Another sane and well-reasoned post.

jeeze
    Thank you for the compliment. I accept. Sarcasm is not spelled 'jeeze'.

Having never really seen the building or knew anything about it till Comerica Park was built. I thought that the Madison-Lenox was a neat old building. Yet I figured that because it was empty it would be gone soon as was the case.
    Having said that I do agree with Ray1936, Follow the money. If Illitch or any other investor had been wiling to spend the money to rehab the place it would have been done. But as you can see no one did that.
    I am no expert on the subject of preservation, But from what I have seen while on this site. Money trumps feelings all the time.Or better put money /power.I myself do not get too wrapped up in the demo of buildings anymore.I don't have the time or energy to devote to it.
    A long time ago there were most likely people upset that a big building was built were the M-L stood.If that place would have been rehabed that would have been nice, Yet with the apparent shady deal,I can see after 5 years it would rest on ones mind.

Reddog:
    There were several investors who were interested and qualified for the M-L project. As I pointed out above, the Kilpatrick Administration pushed for demolition to test the limits of the Historic District Commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Reddog:
    There were several investors who were interested and qualified for the M-L project. As I pointed out above, the Kilpatrick Administration pushed for demolition to test the limits of the Historic District Commission.
    Thank you Fnemecek. Add in that the Illitch's with their anti-preservation, pro-business views, saw an opportunity to control another piece of property and make money on parking. Contrary to most of the experienced and knowledgable business people posting here - it isn't always about the bottom line. There are many people who make decisions based upon what might be good for a community, a neighborhood, a group of people, etc. That particularly applies to people, families, businesses, like the Illitch's, who've attained the highest levels of wealth and influence. The costs of renovating a building like the ML would've been peanuts to them. And you all know, as well as I, the Illitch's could've obtained additional investors as well as mucho tax breaks from city, state and federal governments. They wouldn't have even had to ask- politicians would've come running with wheel barrows full of money. Look at the money they got to 'secure' and 'safeguard' Tiger Stadium. You show me a small business, like a bar, restaurant, gift shop, clothing store, etc, that could get, proportionally speaking, anywhere near the amount of tax breaks and incentive dollars that the Illitch's can get for anything.

The Illitch's are very rich, spoiled people. And don't hand me this crap about they brought winners to Detroit. Like maybe I should be thankful for the opportunity to buy overpriced tickets to a game being played in a stadium my tax dollars paid for. When the Illitch's start offering low-interest loans and subsidies to small businesses, in return for having received tax money from citizens and businesses, and they put money back in to the community, I'll consider buying Little Caesar's products and attending their team's hockey and baseball games.

Thanks Fn and 1KD, for enlightening me. I should have figured with a Kilpatrick and someone with deep pockets, There might be something fishy.
    I think that both of them had their "Master plans" for the C.O.D. . One of them is still here, The other should stay away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2