Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

"It can facilitate in the consumer's mind a new set of associations that relate strongly to its new positioning."

Good grief. Such drivel.

What will become of the pentastar that graces the top of Auburn Hills?

Lorax Guest

Coming from a Chrysler family that grew up on the pentastar, nothing can really replace it in my view.

This "wing ding" is about as homogenous and boring as it gets, right up there with the Lexus flying "L" logo.

Logos and brands matter immensely, and anyone who thinks this thing will be a success is wishful at best.

Sanders spends a fortune to bring back a vintage font for their product line which works well for the brand, and Fiat ruins a tried and true symbol which has been around nearly 50 years in favor of a corporatized poll-tested, bean counter approved symbol that inspires nothing more than a yawn.

Stosh Guest

I think that you all misunderstand the intent. This is not intended to replace the corporate logo. This is a brand badge, for the front of cars, nothing more.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I think that you all misunderstand the intent. This is not intended to replace the corporate logo. This is a brand badge, for the front of cars, nothing more.

Thank you for clarifying that!

It still is a dull and pedantic wing ding.

Well that's a point. Even still this is not the best idea they could have come up with as a car name plate. It is too "flatlined", undifferentiated, dull and innocuous to really present the relaunch of this company. It also looks a bit Ford Thuderbirdish [[though run over by a train)... What? Are they trying to help the one US car maker that is doing almost ok?? What were they thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 04:59 AM.

Precisely! Wing ding - DONG... flat line!!! Very uninspired! Who was engaged on the creative of this thing? BBDO's last gasp at creative before their pink slips? Or an art directors last 'smug' laugh! LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Coming from a Chrysler family that grew up on the pentastar, nothing can really replace it in my view.

This "wing ding" is about as homogenous and boring as it gets, right up there with the Lexus flying "L" logo.

Logos and brands matter immensely, and anyone who thinks this thing will be a success is wishful at best.

Sanders spends a fortune to bring back a vintage font for their product line which works well for the brand, and Fiat ruins a tried and true symbol which has been around nearly 50 years in favor of a corporatized poll-tested, bean counter approved symbol that inspires nothing more than a yawn.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 05:00 AM.

That's a vision! For certain that was the better, stronger, less ambiguous logo even when it was attached to some of the famous scary [[recalls R us) models such as the K car and Reliant [[smile)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    What will become of the pentastar that graces the top of Auburn Hills?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    "It can facilitate in the consumer's mind a new set of associations that relate strongly to its new positioning."

Good grief. Such drivel.
    MBA-speak.

It looks like a stretched Aston-Martin logo. I like it. I can't wait to see the line-up. I come from a Chrysler family, but as a young adult there isn't one car I would want. I like the Caliber, my mom has one, but I want something better. Right now only Ford has cars that appeal to me, and I would rather buy Chrysler.

This thing is too obscure, incomplete and steam-lined to suggest anything specifically... it is absent of visual graphic form to really represent a strong concept, or specific meaning. I guess it is like a bird to some extent, but mostly is suggest something in the stage of "vanishing" like the line you used to get when turning OFF a 50's tubed screen before it went out.... ala something not here to stay...

And the advertising geek speak! Ugh, one of the worst examples of talking beyond the concept, whatever it is [[or was) or whatever...... most fitting per the design one can argue.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post

Good grief. Such drivel.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 05:03 AM.