Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fury13....
    .....I was thinking exactly the same thing, except the "Forward Look" logo looked best on Virgil Exner's finned Plymouths. Don't know if fins on a Fiat 500 would look any good.....

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    But there are plans to bring a Fiat produced-Dodge branded small car by 2013.
    I wouldn't buy ANYTHING branded "Dodge."

The Dodge partisans within Chrysler tried to keep Plymouth down for decades, and their efforts finally helped kill the brand. Screw Dodge. I'd rather buy a [[gulp) Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post

The Dodge partisans within Chrysler tried to keep Plymouth down for decades, and their efforts finally helped kill the brand. Screw Dodge. I'd rather buy a [[gulp) Chevy.
    Why am I strangely brought back in time to my 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury with the 360 4 barrel after reading this?

Rideron Guest

Jeez, and I've heard NOTHING about the plan to abandon car production in favor of aircraft!

Go buy your Chebby! I'll keep buying Dodges as long as they're made.

Now back to the business at hand. This guy sums up perfectly the faux pas of the Wall St. Journal & Automotive News in their hurry to bury Ma Mopar.
    http://www.allpar.com/weblogs/2009/1...-a-word-of-it/

Lorax Guest

For as overrated as Mercedes is, you'd think Fiat would re-introduce the Imperial as a marque again, going head to head with Mercedes, BMW and Cadillac.

Nothing finer than a 392 Hemi V8 with a four barrel.

The lineup should be: Imperial, super-luxury; Chrysler, luxury/upscale; Plymouth, medium and low-priced; Jeep, sport-utility and off-road; and Dodge/Ram, trucks only.

The site now has some of the slides/graphics shown during the presentation.
    http://www.allpar.com/corporate/chry...year-plan.html

A few things that jumped out at me:
    *Chrysler Engineering will be expanded from June 2009 to July 2010, with contract workers doubled, a 7% increase in direct employees, and a doubling of purchased engineering services.
    *Pentastar V6 will launch in May 2010. A twin turbo version of the Pentastar V6 will be launched as will a single-turbo version. V8 efficiency will be increased.
    *Electric vehicles will be centered at Chrysler, with a hybrid minivan in 2011, and full electric in 2012 [[“light commercial” vehicle).
    *Expectations are for units sold to more than double from 1.3 million in 2009 to 2.8 million in 2014. All brands are seen as growing, particularly Jeep and Chrysler [[which sell fewer vehicles now, and are projected to double their sales). US market share is expected to go from less than 9% in 2009 to over 13% in 2014. Dodge is focused on repositioning rather than growth.

This thing is too obscure, incomplete and steam-lined to suggest anything specifically... it is absent of visual graphic form to really represent a strong concept, or specific meaning. I guess it is like a bird to some extent, but mostly is suggest something in the stage of "vanishing" like the line you used to get when turning OFF a 50's tubed screen before it went out.... ala something not here to stay...

And the advertising geek speak! Ugh, one of the worst examples of talking beyond the concept, whatever it is [[or was) or whatever...... most fitting per the design one can argue.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    "It can facilitate in the consumer's mind a new set of associations that relate strongly to its new positioning."

Good grief. Such drivel.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 05:03 AM.

That's a vision! For certain that was the better, stronger, less ambiguous logo even when it was attached to some of the famous scary [[recalls R us) models such as the K car and Reliant [[smile)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    What will become of the pentastar that graces the top of Auburn Hills?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 05:01 AM.

Precisely! Wing ding - DONG... flat line!!! Very uninspired! Who was engaged on the creative of this thing? BBDO's last gasp at creative before their pink slips? Or an art directors last 'smug' laugh! LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Coming from a Chrysler family that grew up on the pentastar, nothing can really replace it in my view.

This "wing ding" is about as homogenous and boring as it gets, right up there with the Lexus flying "L" logo.

Logos and brands matter immensely, and anyone who thinks this thing will be a success is wishful at best.

Sanders spends a fortune to bring back a vintage font for their product line which works well for the brand, and Fiat ruins a tried and true symbol which has been around nearly 50 years in favor of a corporatized poll-tested, bean counter approved symbol that inspires nothing more than a yawn.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 05:00 AM.

Well that's a point. Even still this is not the best idea they could have come up with as a car name plate. It is too "flatlined", undifferentiated, dull and innocuous to really present the relaunch of this company. It also looks a bit Ford Thuderbirdish [[though run over by a train)... What? Are they trying to help the one US car maker that is doing almost ok?? What were they thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I think that you all misunderstand the intent. This is not intended to replace the corporate logo. This is a brand badge, for the front of cars, nothing more.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-09 at 04:59 AM.

T-bird indeed. Dead thinking ala flat road kill!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I wish Chrysler success. But the new logo looks like an old T-bird logo to me. Looks like there's some dead thinking in Auburn Hills.

Hah! The new logo looks like a stop motion "vanishing" of the mid-90s logo without even a text heading to hold it in place. What a mess!
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    "The new logo compresses the symbol from vehicles in the mid-1990s. [[Chrysler)"
    Old logo for comparison...

Hah! Now that the ultimate point!! Well stated!
    Quote Originally Posted by wash_man View Post
    Logo - schmogo....just build a decent car that people want at a decent price. No one will care what logo is on it.

BTW My first thought was old T-Bird logo also.

I thought they were keeping all the current signage, with the lovely spray painted [[mostly the semi trucks) and sheet metal covering "Daimler" at the plants.

Sludgedaddy Guest

Gort.......Klaatu.....Mirada.....Niktu...

Default Current rumors surrounding the 2011/12 Charger

Again, just rumor & speculation, but you never know...

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/charger-2010.html

Why is it not a two-door? A four-door is a family car.

I'm amazed that one of the U.S. companies hasn't reintroduced the two-door pillarless hardtop, arguably the best-looking body style of all time.

Why is it not a two-door? A four-door is a family car.

I'm amazed that one of the U.S. companies hasn't reintroduced the two-door pillarless hardtop, arguably the best-looking body style of all time.
    Sorry Fury, but I don't have a clue. When it was reintroduced some years ago I was asking the same thing.
    I'm guessing they'd already decided to resurrect the Challenger as the factory musclecar. It'd be nice to have a retro 'Cuda as its stablemate but don't hold your breath on that one.
    Last edited by MoparDan; November-17-09 at 03:45 PM. Reason: 'cause it needed it!

ROTFL - I can see the movie and the logo as the space ship logo.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    Gort.......Klaatu.....Mirada.....Niktu...

Default WPC Museum celebrates Cars, Trees & Traditions Nov. 21 to Dec. 30

So much for the Pentastar!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2