Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

After some geneological research, I discoved that my father's Irish great-grandmother came to Detroit from County Wexford and died in 1890 and was buried in Mt. Elliot cemetary in a large plot that her well-off son had purchased. There she was surrounded by children and granchildren and even HER mother. I was thrilled because my father thought his father was born in Maine and somehow got to Detroit. Here was proof that they had been in Detroit since 1856. One Thanksgiving I drove my dad on a secret trip and he suspiciously said the he hoped we weren't going to a cemetary - something I realized then that he never, ever did. When we got there, he didn't share my enthusiasm at all. Sweet memory. I love Mt. Elliot and Mt. olivet and think Resurrection [[same ownership) cannot hold a candle to the beauty of those early Detroit resting places.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    After some geneological research, I discoved that my father's Irish great-grandmother came to Detroit from County Wexford and died in 1890 and was buried in Mt. Elliot cemetary in a large plot that her well-off son had purchased. There she was surrounded by children and granchildren and even HER mother. I was thrilled because my father thought his father was born in Maine and somehow got to Detroit. Here was proof that they had been in Detroit since 1856. One Thanksgiving I drove my dad on a secret trip and he suspiciously said the he hoped we weren't going to a cemetary - something I realized then that he never, ever did. When we got there, he didn't share my enthusiasm at all. Sweet memory. I love Mt. Elliot and Mt. olivet and think Resurrection [[same ownership) cannot hold a candle to the beauty of those early Detroit resting places.
    You are right SWMAP, Resurrection doesn't have the character and beauty that the Detroit cemeteries have. The one thing that it does have is a much safer feeling when you visit. Elmwood has such history and beautiful headstones. The Detroit Fire Department buries its' dead there. I used to love to walk through those cemeteries and read the older headstones and imagine what it was like back then.

Mt. Elliot has a fireman's section, as well. The Catholic firemen couldn't be laid to rest in the unconsecrated ground of Elmwood Cemetary.

As I recall there have been articles about bodies being transfered for at least ten years. Crime is only a small factor . As people moved farther out they wished their loved ones to be closer. There is some truth to crime in cemetarys. My son went on a Halloween week field trip in fourth grade to Mt Elliot and the car in which he rode got stolen. I found that strangely funny but will spare readers as to just why.

Thank you Downriviera for reminding me of that poem. Upon my demise, I wish my ashes to be scattered on fresh water. I see no reason for tombstones or a marker that eventually no one would visit or upkeep.

My Dad passed 17 years ago and I have only been to his grave twice in that time. My Mom, almost ninety, has a headstone next to him waiting only for her date of death, I find it creepy. He is interred in a suburban cemetary and unfortunately it is one involved in that scandal.

PS: Downriviera, that poem is enclosed in my will and last wishes to be read at my funeral since I wish no marker.

I feel closest to my Dad when I hear or see cardinals. He called them the bitch birds. He had an affinity to birds. They would sit on his shoulder or even his shoe. He wished to be cremated but didn't put it in writing so my Mom insisted he be buried.

If I were to move my Dad, [[which I hope I don't have to) I would bring him back to Detroit, his hometown.

Mt.Olivet is still one of the best of the old, Victorian cemeteries. Just beautiful; I love it. I once wanted my ashes scattered in the Detroit River [[I'm a river rat to the core), but I'm having second thoughts about that.

For w hile I had this near-militant anti suburb attitude that some posters here have about burying family members in Detroit city limits. Now I realized, what the fuck is the difference? They are dead and gone. I have no issue with m grandparents being buried at Resurrection. It is a nice place and you won’t get fucked with like you will at Forest Lawn. In a 5 year period, we had 3 criminal incidents happen to family members at Forest Lawn…an armed robbery, auto theft and someone stealing a radio out of a car.

The dead don’t care where they are buried!

Ive taken bike rides thru and stopped by Woodmere -Woodlawn-Elmhurst and a cemetary on Mt. Elliot? or Mack to take pics and did have a degree of concern about getting mugged molested or maimed no problems yet....... I get a feeling of peace when passing through 'historical' cemetaries...

Stosh Guest

As far as I'm concerned, the dead aren't at the cemetary anyway. So what does it matter anyway? I'll visit Forest Lawn and Mt Olivet whenever I get the chance, but it's not completely neccesary in my opinion. The dead aren't there, at least spirit wise anyway. Of course, that's just MY thoughts on the matter. Others may not feel the same.

Since WDIV refused to do anything to Rob Parker on the lies about MSU QB Kirk Cousins, he is dead to me. I won't view any of their local content or go to clickondetroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    In 2011, the NEW $2 Billion dollar freeways will be built, unless we vote NO next August 2010 to defeat the SMART Property Tax Renewal, but there are facts that show that in 150 years from now we will all be dead unless some great medical advance comes along.

So, it won't matter how we vote for the SMART tax. Your tax will stay the same as only an increase can be defeated and death and taxes will not change.

I would rather leave this earth with Detroit getting a decent MASS transit system but instead thanks to those voting YES or not voting next August 2010, I will be leaving my children and grand children MASSive NEW Freeways and high taxes.
    ..........and thats EXACTLY the reason people are moving bodies out of old cemeteries !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2