Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: About the Forum

Ravine Guest

Default Why I Seldom Come Around Here

UFO wrote:
    "Its pretty obvious no matter the topic on this forum there will always be an asinine comment in one form or another."

And that, my fellow DYers, is about as good of a one-sentence explanation, for why I don't come around here much anymore, as any.

It seems as though no thread, ever, stays on the point, or topic, which was brought up in the initial post. Always, the thread nose-dives into the pressing of irrelevant agenda and back-and-forth sniping.

And, don't bother me with blaming "trolls," or the "he/she did it first" excuse. [[The latter being particularly disgraceful, given that most of us would refuse to accept some bullshit like that from our children.) Whether the interference comes from a "troll" [[a term which, arguably, describes some of DY's most frequent & persistent posters) or not, all that is required to keep the thread on-point is the simple act of ignoring the interference. None of this "blocking" and "filtering" is necessary, either.

No other forum I have ever visited contains more childish, petulant behavior than this one, including the one which-- ironically-- is so frequently derided, here, as being juvenile.

Ravine Guest

I have no idea why that clickable "gif" thing appears at the bottom of my post.
    And I don't care, either; I'm just pointing out that I don't know why it's there.

So how does you not posting help improve anything?

why did you post this

Sorry you feel that way Ravine, but I can understand your point of view. Maybe I'll run into you at Churchill's sometime.

Ravine Guest

Pam, my not-posting doesn't help to improve anything, but that is a goal which I was not pursuing, and in which I have no investment.

The whole thing is simple: This forum used to be engaging, fairly smart, and [[more important than I may once have thought it to be) fun.

Not anymore. And please don't apply the reasoning so frequently found, here, in reference to folks who have left, or are contemplating leaving, Detroit: that a lion's share of the blame for the city's woes belongs on the shoulders of those who threw in the towel and said, Fuck it, who needs this?

I'm not trying to change, save, or keep afloat anything. This forum is what it is, and I am what I am. Once, it & I seemed to get along fairly well with each other.

But, again: Not anymore.
    Last edited by Ravine; August-27-09 at 08:41 PM.

Well, shoot! Don't abandon us on Connections, we are still sticking fairly well to some kind of point, or you can prod us in the right direction.

Ravine Guest

Please bear two things in mind:

1) My comments are not to be seen as any kind of over-wrought, drama-queen "sayonara" message.
    [[Hell, let's face it: I've already done that, and the feeling of self-embarrassment has never completely gone away.)

2) I'm straining myself, right now, with the effort to keep a civil tongue in my fingers. I do still come around, after all, and I don't want to be unceremoniously excommunicated, at least not without the cause being, in my eyes, worthy.

ccbatson Guest

I think, the reality of the failures of the ideology to which you had so strongly believed in for so long is what has you depressed and apathetic.

Perhaps a turning point in a positive direction is near for you...as in a return to valuing individual and liberty and freedom in opposition to the profound disappointments that Obama and company have brought you.

1) My comments are not to be seen as any kind of over-wrought, drama-queen "sayonara" message.
    [[Hell, let's face it: I've already done that, and the feeling of self-embarrassment has never completely gone away.)
    There is still some of that, with some scolding Dad mixed in this time. Whatever, we'll see you when we see you. "It's only the internet" as I think President Secou once said.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    I think, the reality of the failures of the ideology to which you had so strongly believed in for so long is what has you depressed and apathetic.

Perhaps a turning point in a positive direction is near for you...as in a return to valuing individual and liberty and freedom in opposition to the profound disappointments that Obama and company have brought you.
    Psycoanalysis by proxy. And a perfect example of what he's objecting to.

Ravine Guest

Pam, I am who, and what, I am, and I suppose there is some overwrought drama queen scolding dad in there. I don't care how it comes across.

And, Cc? You, who I have defended [[not at your request, I realize)? I'm going to acknowledge your idiotic post just enough to point out that your childish urge to relentlessly inundate this forum with the same old shit, over & over & over, is one of the most pervasive causes of this forum's down-slide into intellectual oblivion.
    And you really, really should stick-- or, perhaps I should say "return"-- this statement...

"...the ideology to which you had so strongly believed in for so long..."

How fucking dare you, to even pretend to presume that you have any particle of an idea about what I believe, or have believed?

ccbatson Guest

More aggressive displeasure may be a good sign Ravine. A turning point may be in the near future for you.

..............................Bwahahaha

Lorax Guest

Ravine, I couldn't agree more, and don't blame you for keeping your distance.

I've been posting for a while now, and was just spanked for calling someone a fool, which is true- I'm sure you know who I mean!

While others are allowed to prattle on with arcane discussions about the meaning of words [[fascist vs. liberal, etc.), and are generally allowed to hijack threads at will.

I have given lengthy discussions with backup examples, sourcing for items, and am then hit with a drive-by one liner post accusing me of being a tool for he liberal left. It really discourages you from continuing investing even a little time at this.

I hope you are able to read this, since I think your last post will be met with the kind of spanking I got!

cheddar bob Guest

God forbid if you should bring up actual facts about ccbatson and his past transgressions. He'll hit the "report post" button pretty quick. Kind of like a whining six year old that goes running and crying to the teacher.

ccbatson Guest

What part of "absolutely no name calling permitted" does Lorax, or Cheddar Bob have difficulty understanding? BTW, not my rules.

Ravine, I feel the same way [[and I know I was an instigator). I had some heavy family shit happen this summer, since then everything posted on this forum lately looks like bad mannered children squabbling. I'm sorry for my part in it and I'm pretty much out of here too.

I still read on occasion, particularly the food and music stuff, but I'm so bored with canned right wing horseshit it makes me yawn out loud.

Take care Ravine. I think you're great.

I wish it "was" all the back and forth, [[like what is posted above), that is keeping me from showing up here as much? But it is not. I wouldn't engage in the conversation when it went south like that for the most part? But I have had on occasions, the opportunity to have the last word. But I would try to be careful to say things in a non-combative way? most of the time it worked just fine?

I enjoyed the picture post's the most. I loved when a thread was filled up with pictures of Detroit or events that happened in Detroit. The Christmas threads or the Toys we remember were the most fun. The old Gas stations of Detroit was also enjoyable to keep up with!

But it is the format of the current forum ,[[that only allows you to have a certain amount of space for storage of pics, before you must dump older post's to make room for new ones.) that has taken the fun out of posting here?

I still come and look around about once a week instead of 30 times a day? LOL
    I guess the new Format has actually gave me back some of my time to do other things!

and I was sure waiting to see "Kathinozarks" family pics, she used to comment how much our familys photo's looked alike? is she still around?

I'm going to stop posting here too. It is almost impossible to find active discussions [[THAT HAVE NOT TURNED TO SHIT), when some people are compelled to write irrelevant comments on EVERY thread.

ccbatson Guest

Why are so many people that clearly have not left the forum, compelled to say that they will be doing so shortly?

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtoplover59 View Post

I enjoyed the picture post's the most. I loved when a thread was filled up with pictures of Detroit or events that happened in Detroit. The Christmas threads or the Toys we remember were the most fun. The old Gas stations of Detroit was also enjoyable to keep up with!
    ?

Here you go man. I hope you enjoy this bit of nostalgia.

http://www.plaidstallions.com/

ccbatson Guest

Leave again? With a grand total of 38 posts? No disrespect intended, but you are not a relevant and significant contributor yet.

Ravine, try to keep on checking in here and there. I've always liked the way you have given your opinion, straight forward and to the point ,potty mouth and all! Awww, who gives a shit anyway

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast