Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: About the Forum

Stosh Guest

One thing that bothers me is the amount of messages per page it allows you to see at one time. Old site was a lot easier to scroll back and forth to get the gist of a thread and check it for something to avoid a double post.

Also. I'm going to assume that there will be some sort of quick link to go back to the main board, similar to what is on the old site? Perhaps moving the Forum Jump box up from the bottom of the page to just above the reply box?
    Last edited by Stosh; March-10-09 at 01:56 PM.

There is also a paperclip above the message box. I'm assuming that performs the same function as the one below?
    Last edited by jcole; March-10-09 at 02:07 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Also. I'm going to assume that there will be some sort of quick link to go back to the main board, similar to what is on the old site? Perhaps moving the Forum Jump box up from the bottom of the page to just above the reply box?
    Well, the forum jump is just below the thread while a link back to the main board is at the top of the thread - click either "DetroitYES Forums" to go to the very front or the "Discuss Detroit" to go to the Detroit issues forum.

Subscriptions are nice

Personal Sticky Threads [[aka "Personal Stickies") are very helpful, and they function differently than subscriptions. The vBulletin.com and vBulletin.org websites are both helpful resources. F-Secure advises editing the source code and ensuring that proper access restrictions are implemented. http://www.f-secure.com/vulnerabilities/SA200900241

Also, readily available board data would be interesting. For example, what I've seen on other vBulletin boards I belong to:
    • currently Active Users: 999 [[182 members and 355 guests)
    • view Who's Online: vetalalumni, detroitnative99, ... [[users are clickable)
    • forum statistics [[Threads: 122,530, Posts: 622,326, Members: 13,425, Active Members: 9,337)
    • welcome to our newest member: detroitnative99 [[users are clickable)
    Last edited by vetalalumni; March-10-09 at 05:47 PM.

lilpup Guest

I've always liked the "New Posts" feature on vBulletin.

Love the navigation. Love the text formatting. Love being logged on until I log off.

Vetal.. The QR [Quick Reply] can be disabled. The idea is that the QR relates to a specific thread. That way if you choose to view the forum in a threaded view you will see the relationship.
    Attachment 36
    I tend to find it annoying too but will wait a while to see if it has value.
    Last edited by Lowell; March-11-09 at 12:26 AM.

Stosh, I just figured out how to increase the number of posts per page and have increased it to 25.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Stosh, I just figured out how to increase the number of posts per page and have increased it to 25.
    Go to User CP then Edit Options Then Thread Display options. Under Number of posts to display per page, the user can choose between 10 to 40 posts per page, or the default setting, which you just reset.

Good observation Stosh. There are a lot of user defined options. Admin can control the default, now 25, but users can set it higher or lower.

I'd like to see the user info on the left side of the screen like the old forum. the bar at the top of each message wastes way too much space on the screen. it makes it difficult to follow the conversation.

I can't wait to start ignoring people. It will greatly improve my Detroit yes experience.

Default This is what I like!

• I like the profiles. It's nice to be able to find out more information about a poster beyond just their opinion on a particuliar subject.
    • I like the ability to organize posts into lists.
    • I like being able to post even as someone else is posting and not having to wait 5 seconds.
    • I like that it is easier to format posts, quote posters, and add pictures and links.
    So far I have run across no issues. Looks good. Good job Lowell!

Default Minor dislikes - overall DYes v2.0 is a major improvement over v1.0

I dislike that there are no signatures or spell-check.

I can live without either - it's not a big deal. I understand the signatures mess up the flow of the thread and take up space. The spell check was only helpful to me because some people thought they were conducting a job interview through the forum - so it was nice to look like I could spell.

P.S.: Firefox has a built-in spell checker. Plus there are plug-ins available to for I.E.7. So I'm good.

Lowell, you're the man again!

Oh, the title of the thread should be in the upper corner of the browser. Currently it say "New Page 1"

lilpup Guest

What about the thread text color on the thread list page? It's blue here while it was more sienna on the old forum. Is there too much blue when looking at the list of threads? Would another color make it seem less crowded and easier to read?

It was surprisingly hard to find the "Register" button since most of the links are very small and spaced too far apart.

Then Gmail threw my activation email into Spam, leaving me wondering for a whole day if I had actually gotten it - I finally thought to check spam and it was there.

just some initial thoughts...

Thanks lobo and Lowell.

Default Blog

Are there privileges that can be received to allow a person to blog?

I would suppose that I am not one of them as I tried and all I got was an error message.

Blogs can be good as it would allow an online diary entry if one so chooses.

I read the blogs now available and found very little worth, almost like those folks trying it out for the first time. I currently have a blog on the Free Press site and was going to bring that over here but again I am not allowed to blog.

Why?

Is the forum link bar across the top of the page a new addition, or did I just miss it before? I like it, regardless.

I am getting horizontal scrolling when this frame is in the same place as the original board.

Default Shoutbox

The Shoutbox add-on would be very cool Lowell.

The Mustang Collective forum has a Shoutbox and also has a nice look-and-feel in general.

http://www.mustangcollective.com

Stosh Guest

Default Private Messaging

I think that the Private Messaging feature should have an expanded threshold. Instead of 256 [[or whatever it is) characters, it should be more to allow for a little more that 2 sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
    Are there privileges that can be received to allow a person to blog?

I would suppose that I am not one of them as I tried and all I got was an error message.

Blogs can be good as it would allow an online diary entry if one so chooses.

I read the blogs now available and found very little worth, almost like those folks trying it out for the first time. I currently have a blog on the Free Press site and was going to bring that over here but again I am not allowed to blog.

Why?
    Purpleheart, blogs will be allowed upon request. We will request and require that the blogs are posted to, say at the least once every couple of weeks. The other requirement is that they the forum will be allowed to post comments without moderation by the blog owner, just like any other thread.

As always normal rules of civility will be enforced in those replies. [ Exceptions to these conditions will be considered. Policy still being evolved but you get the idea. We will feel our way through it.]

Social groups and specialized calendars will also be allowed on request.
    Last edited by Lowell; March-13-09 at 08:42 AM.

It's nice to have a private messages box. It will be easier when contacting individual users with a question. Overall, I love the new forum

I really like the profiles.

So when is the start date for the change over?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast