Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: About the Forum

I truely miss JohnLodge, he always had the right touch ... here he is in another life:

Attachment 3033

Ravine, I think you should wander over to the hitchhiking thread. I'm sure you could contribute.

Ravine Guest

Gnome, I will see if I can thumb a lift over to that thread after the Tiger game. Thanks. Your recommendation is good enough for me.

Pam!! Jesus CHRIST!! I didn't declare myself Gone Baby Gone, hawk up a viscous gob of mucus and spit it out all over DY, did I? You seem vaguely angry at me, which, I'm not too proud to admit, does bother me a bit, and while I wish it was not so, I confess that I don't understand, so there is little I can do to address it.
    I don't want you to feel that way. [[Not that it's a question of What I Want, but "I'm just sayin.'") While I find much of what has been going on, around here, to be off-putting, I have always particularly enjoyed our interactions, and I will never forget how, just when I really needed a laugh, you fed me that hilarious video.
    I'm not even sure which video it was, as you have successfully executed that maneuver on a couple of occasions; but there was one time when I really, really needed something to break up my cloud-cover, and you delivered just the right video-link to do the job.

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I truely miss JohnLodge, he always had the right touch ... here he is in another life:

Attachment 3033

Ravine, I think you should wander over to the hitchhiking thread. I'm sure you could contribute.

Nice bunny outfit. II thought bunnies only ate veggies.

WHat happen to the guy if you dont mind my asking?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Attachment 3033

I was in college and I needed the money!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Nice bunny outfit. II thought bunnies only ate veggies.

WHat happen to the guy if you dont mind my asking?
    That's not a bunny, it's a 'noid.

I was in college and I needed the money!
    Isn't that what Tracy Lords used to say?

Ravine, I love ya. Tigers are on the corners in the eigth, I know what you mean.

Pam!! Jesus CHRIST!! I didn't declare myself Gone Baby Gone, hawk up a viscous gob of mucus and spit it out all over DY, did I? You seem vaguely angry at me,
    I was trying to make a joke. Guess I'm losing my touch. I also had some posts removed by mods this week. Maybe I need to make a big speech and leave too??

Ravine, shake it off. I enjoy your posts. I think you are my favorite actually. Don't go for good, just pop in every now & then, that's what I do. Who cares what some people on here say about your thoughts, I know I'm not the only one who enjoys them. Go Tigers!

Ravine Guest

Qweek, while I much appreciate your comments, the more important thing is that I am delighted to see that you are still around these parts. Your presence, alone, enriches the forum. I loves ya!! And rest assured of this: You never have to worry about me being injured by anything that anybody might think, or say, about my thoughts or comments.

But dang, please let me reiterate: I never said I was leaving, and I certainly wasn't fishing for any Please Don't Go's. It's just that I saw UFO's comment, thought to myself, "Y'know, that is exactly what has been turning me off to this forum," and decided to say so.

And, Pam? OK, OK, great. Glad to hear it.
    I confess that I am curious as to how it came to be that some of your posts were erased, but I suppose that if you explain, there will be more trouble.

Funny thing is that in another forum, one which is not strictly regulated [[if at all,) I actually see more civility and general good-naturedness than I see in this one.

I'm sure that means something, but I dunno what.
    Last edited by Ravine; September-12-09 at 03:28 AM.

ccbatson Guest

I agree that less regulation makes for a better forum, however, the owner of the site makes the rules and participants are free to participate, or not.

Ravine, Please Don't Go!

Fall will soon be upon us and new or dormant people will be indoors and online more frequently. Additional people will begin to chime in. Stay your course young, strong man
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-12-09 at 11:58 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Funny thing is that in another forum, one which is not strictly regulated [[if at all,) I actually see more civility and general good-naturedness than I see in this one.
    Ravine... what are you talking about in this statement???

You really believe that there is more civility on that "other thread"??? That's news to most people who check out that site... Just ask Citylover, Karl and Craigd who posted there until they were hounded off the forum.

What's the matter, don't they have a thread with your name on it that pokes fun of you??? Just ask Gthomas, Jjaba, BuyAmerican, Danny, Supersport, Mauser, Gannon, Sean of Detroit, Urbanize, Karl, etc... Also, you must not yet have had your photo used as an Avatar over there with a Random [[[[[[[[[ name attached to it.

DYES has always had its share of controversial posters.... Skulker, Jelk, Citylover, Rasputin, Mellodrama, Karl, Steelers, 4real... etc. And this forum has always had its ups and downs [[as Lowell said).

But to say that the other site is more civil??? Are you serious?

And you started this thread because you had a hissyfit the way I [[and Gnome) treated UFO on his arrival. Someone with that alias on the other website said they were going to come over here to start shit... so [[oh so coincidentally) around the same time someone started posting here witht that alias.

Well I should have let him post more before calling him out, in case the 2 weren't one and the same... and that was my bad....

But have you checked out his posts lately?? Especially the ones ACORN and Presidential Speech lately? With all the expletives, they're somewhere between Steelers and 4real. He's currently getting beat up from all sides [[and I notice that you're no longer jumping to his defense). So I have a feeling he is the one and the same...

Save you indignation for a more approriate cause... this forum has always been the way it is... and it's still better than the other one...
    Last edited by Gistok; September-12-09 at 12:59 PM.

Ravine Guest

Gistok, I'm not going to get into a snarling match with you [[and I am not implying, with that statement, that you are trying to start one with me.) I have no beef with you and no wish to be in Attack Mode toward you. I generally respect you; why wouldn't I?

But I must reply to your post, because your receiver is not tuning in my signal. You're getting the sound, but not the picture.

Read what I wrote. I'm not known for having problems with expressing what I mean to express, so it's there. I started this thread for the reason clearly stated in the initial post: UFO made a statement, elsewhere, with which I 100% agree. My emphatic agreement moved me to make the statement I made, first on the other thread, and then I elected to open up a separate thread with the same statement, so as to avoid bogging down the other thread by repeatedly grinding my own rusty little ax, although, partially through my fault, a bit of that occurred, anyway.

And, I don't have "hissy fits." I implore you to avoid applying that demeaning term to my occasional outbursts. But, however you may choose to internally characterize it, my response was triggered by UFO's statement. I did not start this thread because I, as you say,
    "had a hissyfit the way I [[and Gnome) treated UFO on his arrival."
    My statement, on the other thread [[whatever it was,) is one which, like every other statement I've made, I will stand behind: I didn't think it was fair to put UFO under the DetroitYes! Homeland Security Hot Lights because of some vague sense that UFO might be a plant from The Other Side, here to carry out some nefarious, infiltrative plot. Jesus H. Christ. Is this the fuckin' airport, or a goddam internet forum?

And I couldn't care less about what else UFO has posted. My point was that I agreed with the statement I quoted. Nothing else posted by UFO has any impact on my continued agreement with that statement. So no, I'm not "jumping to his defense;" other than trying to call off the inappropriately-released hounds, "defending" UFO was never my cause.

As for my "civility & good-naturedness" remark: As I stated it, that comment is somewhat debatable, yes. But what I meant, and what I will stand behind saying, is that inside that forum there is more civility & good-naturedness, in the fact [[at least in my opinion) that they treat each other better than we treat each other over here.
    Remember, it's like the old Wild West, over there: everybody is allowed to carry a gun. As with the old Wild West, people tend to tread a bit more lightly, when a real, or imagined, slight, slur, or insult could be answered with pistol fire.

And that is related to the problem, here; the enforced politesse causes tensions to simmer under the surface of the posts, with a lot of animus being implied or expressed in some technically-non-punishable, and yet still clearly inflammatory, permutations of language and manner. [[And then you have the jackasses who deliberately attempt to incite anger in the hope of provoking another person into going overboard and winding up thrown out on their ass.)

And yeah, while I've not had a thread started for the purpose of running me down, I've been hooted at, ridiculed, called insulting names, and given The Treatment, too.

As for your final comment: Gistok, I will decide what is, or is not, an "appropriate cause" for my "indignation."

Hey, how about those Tigers? I love you man, I do. Peace.

Ravine, I do regret the use of that term. You and I have always been civil, so I don't see any reason not to remain that way. We may not see eye-to-eye on everything, but that's what a public forum is all about. Sorry.

But I don't think things have gotten worse on this forum... it's just that there's less good news in Detroit circles to post about!

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    ........+1
    You don't like little boys, huh?

ccbatson Guest

Leave it to Cheddar Bob to prove that the voiced concerns of immaturity and sleaziness are true.

I've never understood why people post here to merely proclaim their disappointment. If you don't like it, leave. On can only deduce a bit of self perceived superiority on the part of the poster to explain their absence.

Translated it's like. Yes, I'm sure all of you have noticed I don't post here much anymore and I'm quite confident you're on the edge of your seat waiting with baited breath to find out why, so here goes.. Not me.

ccbatson Guest

Didn't you just do exactly what you said you wouldn't do Stash? Are you taking lessons from Obama? Witness his speech decrying fear mongering followed by the proclamation that if we don't pass his health care reform, our economy would crash and people would die....huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Didn't you just do exactly what you said you wouldn't do Stash? Are you taking lessons from Obama? Witness his speech decrying fear mongering followed by the proclamation that if we don't pass his health care reform, our economy would crash and people would die....huh?
    Careful, CC. You're on the way to alienating one of the only people who are deluded enough to support your Objectivist nonsense.

As to the Obama speech, how is it different than those who are so vocally claiming [[you among them) that if we do pass his health care reform the economy will crash and people will die?

So it's okay for the Teabaggers to say it, but it's not okay for Obama to say it?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What's the matter, don't they have a thread with your name on it that pokes fun of you??? Just ask Gthomas, Jjaba, BuyAmerican, Danny, Supersport, Mauser, Gannon, Sean of Detroit, Urbanize, Karl, etc... Also, you must not yet have had your photo used as an Avatar over there with a Random [[[[[[[[[ name attached to it.
    Personally, I'd much rather post on a forum that attracts people like Ravine and Johnlodge, and that "hounds off" people like Gthomas and Danny, than on one like this that does the opposite. There'd be a lot less incoherent drivel to scroll through, and a lot more thoughtful, well-written and entertaining content to read and respond to. Life is too short to waste on people whose skulls are solid bone from ear to ear.

ccbatson Guest

You see Elganned, I discuss content by its' value, not the author....try it sometime.

Regarding Obama, I didn't say that I disliked fear mongering and then proceed to do it in a very transparent and self contradictory way. Your parallel simply does not apply.

I used the "rarely used ignore" option. I like it already....

"Today, 12:24 AM Remove user from ignore list
    ccbatson This message is hidden because ccbatson is on your ignore list."

Leave it to Cheddar Bob to prove that the voiced concerns of immaturity and sleaziness are true.
    Didn't you just do exactly what you said you wouldn't do Stash? Are you taking lessons from Obama?
    You see Elganned, I discuss content by its' value, not the author....try it sometime.
    Try it sometime.
    Last edited by East Detroit; September-14-09 at 12:35 AM.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast