As a graduate of a Jesuit high school [[Walsh Jesuit), I have enjoyed reading the conversation regarding the University of Detroit High School. The history of Jesuit education is a strong one.

However, as others have pointed out, there are two other Catholic college prep high schools in Detroit – Loyola and Cristo Rey. As President of Detroit Cristo Rey High School, I would also like to share some background on our school.

• Our school opened in 2008. We are adding one class of students a year – this year we have freshmen and sophomores. Our first graduation will be in June 2012.
  • Detroit Cristo Rey is known as the “the school that works.” All Cristo Rey students work one day a week at local corporations and organizations, performing a variety of entry-level jobs to help offset the cost of their tuition and gain real world job experience. [[There are 48 businesses and organizations providing 34 jobs worth $675,000 for the students currently enrolled at Detroit Cristo Rey High School.)
  • Sponsored by the Sister Servants of IHM and the Basilian fathers, the school focuses on providing a Catholic, college prep education for students who could otherwise not afford one. We are part of a network of 24 schools across the country. The Cristo Rey Network was founded by the Jesuits.
  • It is the only Catholic high school in the city of Detroit that accepts young women.
  • The school has a diverse student body. Sixty percent of current students are African-American and 35% are Hispanic. Half of the students are Catholic; half are of other faiths.
  • Over 90% percent of the Cristo Rey students live in the city of Detroit.
  • The students of this Detroit school all plan to be college graduates! [[In fact, within the Cristo Rey network of schools, 99% of graduates are typically accepted into college.) We only have one curriculum – college prep.

I would encourage everyone to visit our school, meet the faculty and most importantly, spend some time with our students. Please contact me at the school to arrange a visit. Our phone number is 313.843.2747. Ask for Mike Khoury.