Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    You shouldn't expect fairness from many of the people who post on this forum. The fact that you are a journalist is reason enough for them to slander you, purely for their own ideological reasons.
    I'll second that...

Natalie,
    Thanks for your posts. Also, keep up the good work...

Quote Originally Posted by NatalieSentz View Post
    I’m fairly certain none of you have been waiting with baited breath for this. However, considering this thread still appears when my name is googled. I may as well allow readers to know what really occurred. Note: I fully expect one of two things: silence, or creative comments from people hiding behind a screen name while accusing me of lying.

To put this to rest, let me jump right to the end. The FBI agents I spoke with were flown in from national. That’s why they didn’t know what their PIO looked like. I doubt if they even knew her name before the clinic lady passed them the note she wrote while speaking with me.

I’m sick of telling this story. In turn, what you’re about to read is going to be super dry and boring.

Disclaimer aside, here it goes...

My phographer, Alex, and I were across town working on an H1N1 story when the desk called and said a helicopter landed in the middle of the road a few towns over. We were the closest crew to that location so we were the ones they sent. Note: I was irritated with the switch because I had a great interview with a guy dressed up as Santa clause and pleading his case as to why he should get the swine flu vaccine first because he works with children. Highly entertaining.

I digress...

All we had was a cross street. When we drove up, all we saw was a line of people with pets outside a vet clinic. We parked the WDIV live truck in the clinic’s parking lot. Right when we got out, a man who had been eating at the next door restaurant came up showing video he shot on his phone of the helicopter landing.

He said they took a dog in on a stretcher. I recognized the helicopter. I have no idea how I knew it was FBI. I’m a little odd with random stuff.

By the time we finished shooting video on our camera of what he had on his phone, most of the people in line at the vet clinic had gone back inside.

I went up and talked to a guy with a sick dauchhound[[sp?).

Now, things you have to know before I continue: I was wearing an electric blue coat. I was walking with my mic in hand and giant WDIV logo [[mic flag) attached.

The entire front lobby of the vet is surrounded in glass. Our live truck was parked in the parking space closest to the entrance.

I literally walked up to the door and the lady inside said, “Sorry, I can’t talk to you, Natalie” and locked the glass doors with clients looking at me from inside. Yes, she knew my name!

I then went back to the live truck and called the assignment desk. Corey, the desk person, said she already called Sandra Burkhold and she didn’t answer. Corey said she is either on her way to the vet or already inside.

I told Alex I’d be right back and went back to the front entrance. The clients inside gave me sad looks, shook their heads, and let me know they weren’t allowed to let me in. I loudly begged them to get the lady again so I can explain that I need to speak with someone who may be inside.

The clinic lady came back and unlocked the door. I told her I was looking for Sandra Burkhold and she’s either on her way or already there. She told me to hang on then disappeared. She came back with a posted note and asked me to repeat myself. So, I did.

She left for a minute then came back out and said, “They’re in there.” and pointed down a hallway. I started walking down and opened a door. She called out, “No, keep going down.” I opened the last door.

There was one man right on the other side of the door. Neither of us said anything at first. I looked to the left to see where Sandra was standing. Nope. Just 3 more guys. Everyone was really quiet.

All of a sudden the guy in front of me reached for my hand to shake it. He then stopped before touching me and apologized for having blood on his hand. I said, “It’s okay. I’ve seen blood before.”

He then started talking.

The first thing he said was, “They Killed our dog.” He then rambled about different places and people and everything that was happening. He then stopped and said, “Please Don’t tell anyone. You’re only one in five who know this. You can imagine if this gets out and gets into my guys heads!”

I said, “Okay. I can keep it from going online, but a lot of people saw the helicopter land and it’s only a matter of time before more news people are here.”

He said, “Wait. Sandra?”

I said, “No, I’m Natalie.”

He asked, “Well, who is Sandra.”

I was baffled and said, “She’s your PIO!”

He asked, “Who are you?”

In his same loud voice I said, “I’m a reporter!”

His eyes turned the size of dinner plates.

And the he pointed at me and started screaming, “They said she was FBI! They said she was FBI!”

He and the rest of the guys started saying, “You’ve got to go, you’ve got to go” while pointing down a hallway that led to the side entrance.

I was pretty freaked out as well and walked a little faster than normal. When I got to the door, the man called out to me again and said, “Hey! Please don’t tell anyone.” I told him, “I don’t want your guys to get hurt either.”

As I walked outside, turned right, and started back toward the truck, I ran smack dab into the clinic lady again. She was picking up pieces of stuff that came off the building when the helicopter landed and trying to put it back on the building.

I immediately said, “I didn’t tell you I was FBI!” She was super calm and barely looked at me before saying, “It isn’t everyday a helicopter lands outside the building.”

Ugh.

I went back to the live truck. My boss called and asked what was happening. I said I didn’t know. She pressed me further. I said a dog might be dead. She was pissed that I “didn’t know more.” We sent back the video of the helicopter landing and went back to doing my H1N1 story.

A day or two later I was on a story with my photographer Ted Pregitzer in Detroit’s Westside when the assignment desk called to say some guy named David Ashenfelter wanted me to call him. The desk didn’t seem to know who he was and said he was a newspaper reporter. I figured he was someone I met on a scene and wanted to hang out or something. So, I’m not even sure if I wrote down the number, or where I put it if I did.

All of a sudden, there’s a picture of me looking like I just got off a broomstick on the front page of the Detroit Press saying I posed as an FBI agent!

I’ve never been so livid in my life. I called two of the four agents in charge of the Detroit branch and lit them up with endless rants. I finally got it out of one of them. I kept saying, “Your guys.,,,rah rah rah!!!”

His response, “Natalie, those weren’t our guys!”

They were flow in from National to do the raids across the Detroit metro. And I kept my promise to not say what they said.

My credibility, the only thing you truly have as a reporter... gone.

And for what? Yes, I was invited to and attended that years FBI Christmas party. I even spoke with Sandra [[who was tipsy) while there. She was pissed because after I left the clinic, she had to wait 3 hours to be appropriately vetted before going in. I can’t believe I actually laughed out loud while she was complaining about it. I apologized of course.

So, there you have it.

Feel free to call or email with questions.

Natalie Sentz
    507-219-1714
    nsentz@gmail.com
    "Santa clause"?

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    "Santa clause"?
    You quoted the entire post for that silly bit? You know you can edit quotes to just a snippet, right?

Natalie Sentz, thank you for tying up loose ends from your
    career as a news reporter. It seems, and we truly hope,
    that you will have a loving and fulfilling life from now on.
    Snarky comment about the sick dog aside, being a reporter
    is an incredibly difficult task on many levels, and your story
    shows this.

From the FBI agent at the clinic's comment, it SOUNDS as though
    someone in Imam Luqman Abdullah's party shot the FBI K-9.
    If that is true, and if the report that the dog was tearing up Imam
    Abdullah is also true, then the shooting could have been considered
    as self-defense. There are no clear statements from any of the
    reviews of the investigations that lay out the sequence of
    events in the shooting incident.

Since the local and national mainstream media is cautious about
    reporting on this, what with FBI concern, and concern on the part
    of many Americans about Muslims in the United States, it is fortunate
    in a limited way that we have reporting from organizations that
    would have a particular slant.

https://ummahwide.com/5-years-later-...t-89459db3abd0

"So the whole thing reeks of fraud."
    Last edited by Dumpling; October-16-17 at 12:42 AM. Reason: quote.

[QUOTE=Dumpling;535920]
    Snarky comment about the sick dog aside, being a reporter
    is an incredibly difficult task on many levels, and your story
    shows this.

Thank you. I’m a little confused about what you’re referring to regarding a snarky comment about the dog. I don’t recall making one. Perhaps you’re referring to someone else’s comment?

Quote from Dumpling
    “From the FBI agent at the clinic's comment, it SOUNDS as though
    someone in Imam Luqman Abdullah's party shot the FBI K-9.
    If that is true, and if the report that the dog was tearing up Imam
    Abdullah is also true, then the shooting could have been considered
    as self-defense.”

To my knowledge, the dog was sent in to subdue Abdullah in case he was armed. He was. He then shot the dog. The dog is a member of law enforcement. Officials opened fire to keep him from shooting anyone else as well.

All I know is this; if I had a gun and was attacked by a dog, I’d probably shoot it in self-defense.

The difference is that I don’t have a gun. If I did, I wouldn’t be walking around with it in a gathering place unless I had a permit to carry concealed.

The man was armed because he felt he might need to shoot someone. He carried the concealed weapon on him in that location for that reason. Those are simply facts. An officer went after him, he shot that officer, and others returned fire.

All I know is this; if I had a gun and was attacked by a dog, I’d probably shoot it in self-defense.
    Just ask any of the cops that have shot family dogs all over the country.

'Course, cops don't live by the same rules as the rest of us, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Just ask any of the cops that have shot family dogs all over the country.

'Course, cops don't live by the same rules as the rest of us, do they?
    I really don’t understand what you’re getting at. My reply was to the previous poster who suggested the man was acting in self defense. I was using myself as an example of how what they assume may very well be correct. I then followed by simply adding my reasoning why I don’t believe the man was exactly innocent. Just trying to be fair and look at different sides of the situation.

This has nothing to do with cops shooting family dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    That there was a sick Dotson the man had in the clinic.
    Ah ha. I now understand what you meant. I wrote about the man with a sick dog for a reason. People often need seemingly useless details to believe what they’re hearing/reading is true. Your comment didn’t seem snarky. I actually thought the sender was loony or posting while drunk!

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    "Santa clause"?
    Yes. At the time, only the elderly and young children were given shots because of the limited supply. The guy dressed as Santa showed up in costume to plead his case and receive the immunization. He argued that since he was exposed to so many kids, he should be on the priority list. He was pretty passionate!

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    You shouldn't expect fairness from many of the people who post on this forum. The fact that you are a journalist is reason enough for them to slander you, purely for their own ideological reasons.
    I agree. That’s why I added the disclaimer. Interestingly, Michiganders are not like most viewers/readers in other markets. They tend to have a lot more negative things to say than people in other areas.

If you really want to get them fired up,misspell a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If you really want to get them fired up,misspell a word.

Hillari-ous!

I really don’t understand what you’re getting at. My reply was to the previous poster who suggested the man was acting in self defense. I was using myself as an example of how what they assume may very well be correct.

Which is exactly what police say when they kill family dogs. Or kids with game console controllers. Or residents with water nozzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Which is exactly what police say when they kill family dogs. Or kids with game console controllers. Or residents with water nozzles.
    Oh, dear.

Well, when you take my words out of context and only quote the part that fits your narrative, then you’re right. If the suspect allegedly shot the dog in self-defense, then...

Alas, I’m clearly not bright enough to understand the connection to cops shooting residents with water bottles.

On the upside, I now work with kids and young adults diagnosed with autism and related developmental disabilities. I actually have real issues needing my attention these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I'll second that...

Natalie,
    Thanks for your posts. Also, keep up the good work...
    Thank you.

Ms Senz,

I am curious as to why you re-started this long-closed thread.

Do the events bother you in some way? Are you disturbed by the mis-reporting, has it hindered your career path? Did the false charges change your feeelings about the news business and force you to another field?

The "clear the air" or "set the record straight" seems only part of the rationale behind re-starting this thread.

I would imagine you could ask Lowell to scrub this thread altogether, he has done such things for other reasons like calling someone a poo-poo head, so it your case -if you feel your character has been besmirched- I would not be upset if Lowell used his scrubbing bubbles wand and made this thread disappear.

Oh yeah, I never thought you did anything wrong but I do wonder why the FBI would fly a dog to a vet.

I really don’t understand what you’re getting at. My reply was to the previous poster who suggested the man was acting in self defense. I was using myself as an example of how what they assume may very well be correct. I then followed by simply adding my reasoning why I don’t believe the man was exactly innocent. Just trying to be fair and look at different sides of the situation.

Get used to being taken out of context on here if you plan on hanging around, which I doubt you will.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Ms Senz,

I am curious as to why you re-started this long-closed thread.

Do the events bother you in some way? Are you disturbed by the mis-reporting, has it hindered your career path? Did the false charges change your feeelings about the news business and force you to another field?

The "clear the air" or "set the record straight" seems only part of the rationale behind re-starting this thread.

I would imagine you could ask Lowell to scrub this thread altogether....
    Thanks for asking, Gnome.

I decided to add to this thread because when you google my name, it appears. I don’t want the article scrubbed for a coulple reasons. For one, the Detroit Free Press took down the original story, but you can still read the headline which makes me look terrible - as the reader doesn’t have access to read my side of what happened. DetroitYes is the only website I’m aware of that posts the full article. In addition, it appears to be the only place that still allows you to reply to comments. Also, I have more respect for this Forum than I do for most others. I consider DetroitYes members as being more thoughtful, intelligent, and professional. I responded to MLive a few years ago, but the author of that article only quoted me saying that Ashenfelter apologized. I didn’t care for the way he picked apart my response and only quoted the part he decided was important. So, I wasn’t going to leave another reply for them to edit as they seemed fit.

I respond now - nearly seven years later - because the mother of one of my clients googled my name and was upset after reading the article. She asked me about what happened. Afterward, she said she was relieved because the article made her concerned and she felt I wasn’t someone she should trust to provide ethical treatment for her 3-year-old son with Autism. She especially believed the accusations because I never wrote to set the record straight. That hit a nerve with me. I wonder how many of my other families read the article and feel the same way.

Does the mis-reporting bother me? Yes. Every time I meet someone knew [[e.g., Chair of my Grad School Dept., students, boss, coworkers, clients, etc), I worry that they will read the headline and believe I’m sketchy or someone not to be trusted.

Has it hurt my career? Most definitely. Soon after it was published, WDIV management exercised the “out” in my contract. They said they were removing my position from the budget. But, I know from speaking to our GM, that this played a huge role in making that decision. She said she believed me but couldn’t take the risk of keeping me on staff “just in case” someone decided to press charges. It would have made them look bad if that happened and they still kept me on staff.

Not only that, but NewsBlues [[highly read industry news website) posted the article [[1st version before he edited it to include my response), and made me look terrible to news directors and news staff across the nation.

My employment options were severely hindered. Even my News Director in Sacramento said he had to fight off HR and other managers just to put me on staff. After I started, every single one of my photographers said they were warned about me. Our main editor even told people to be careful because I was underhanded and unethical based on what she read.

The article wasn’t the reason why I chose a different career path. I do wonder, however, what my career would have been like if it had never been published.

I hope I answered your questions. Thank you for asking. I’m sure others were also wondering.

I like this Forum, and definetely don’t want the thread scrubbed. In fact, I wish it appeared higher up in search results. There are a few other sites that currently show up ahead of this one. Some of them won’t let you read more than the first half of the article before clicking on “read more” and being redirected to a page that doesn’t exist because Detroit Free Press removed it. I can’t get those pages fully removed. That’s why I wish this one at least came up first.

As for putting the dog in a helicopter? I honestly don’t have an opinion on that. My only guess is that they treat the K9 the same way they’d treat any other member of law enforcement. Just a theory.

Let me know if you have any more questions or are unclear about any of this.

Natalie
    507-219-1714
    nsentz@gmail.com
    Last edited by NatalieSentz; October-22-17 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Misspellings and run-on sentences

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Get used to being taken out of context on here if you plan on hanging around, which I doubt you will.
    Thanks, jcole. I have no problem calling people out when they take what I say out of context. I’m sure they don’t do it intentionally. I will always respond if they do; hopefully without embarrassing them.

So you know, I receive an email when someone posts to this thread. I plan on hanging around just enough to respond to questions. I only read posts on other topics. I usually don’t comment on them.

Wow! Natalie came up in here swinging at y'all! And nearly 10 years later at that.

In all seriousness, it's always great to have the record set straight by the actual individual[[s) we discuss around here.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Wow! Natalie came up in here swinging at y'all! And nearly 10 years later at that.

In all seriousness, it's always great to have the record set straight by the actual individual[[s) we discuss around here.
    Ha! Thank you. It wasn’t easy. This website doesn’t let you comment unless you become a member. They make you jump through a few hoops before accepting your application!

Ms Senz,

I like the way you think, act and rationally defend your actions. Good for you.

So, one of recurring themes has been that you feel betrayed and that you do not trust your former brethren. In your opinion is the news business just a depository for snakes, rats and other vermin?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Ms Senz,

I like the way you think, act and rationally defend your actions. Good for you.

So, one of recurring themes has been that you feel betrayed and that you do not trust your former brethren. In your opinion is the news business just a depository for snakes, rats and other vermin?
    Thank you for the kind words, gnome.

I don't think my feelings can be summed up as saying I feel [[or felt) "betrayed." The term "betrayed" makes me think of a person with loyal followers that turned on them. I wasn't a veteran reporter with a ton of connections. My coworkers and fellow staff didn't really know me outside of work. Ashenfelter had no reason to doubt his sources over a girl he never met. So, I wasn't really betrayed.

But, I was hurt beyond belief.

Of all the people I went to college with, and fellow reporters I worked with in former markets, I saw myself as nearly the only person who always did the right thing. I even got in trouble for doing things like refusing to interview a father with his young son who happened to show up at the railroad tracks while I was there shooting. The woman was killed 8 hours earlier. There was no way on earth that I was going to stick a camera in their face at that moment. My anchor/producer threatened to tell our news director if I didn't. So, I lied and said it was too late and that they were leaving. I then went and got some coffee while giving them space and went back to get more video of the scene after they truly left. My point is that I was a really good reporter and cared more about doing what was right than caring about getting an exclusive or lead story.

My opinion of the news business hasn't changed since I was in college. I knew the type of people I'd be working with. I guess I just thought I could just do my thing and not have to worry about them. Oh well. On the upside, there are still quite a few good ones still working. You can find most of them in smaller markets.

I’d be amiss if I didn’t add one thing regarding your primary question about feeling betrayed. You specifically asked about the news media. You didn’t ask about the FBI. My answer would have been very different if you had. I’m sure, since you didn’t ask, that you likely don’t care. I’m okay with that.

Yes, I felt betrayed by the FBI. They invited me to be in their Citizens Academy not once, but twice - in Tulsa, OK and Detroit, MI. I actually attended every one of the sessions in both locations. I was exhausted from working all day and would have loved to be anywhere other than in s classroom with 10-15 strangers while listening to FBI agents pontificate about the importance of their occupations.

I felt bad that they too had to be there. Many of the agents in Tulsa complained nearly every session about having to drive 2 hours from OKC to speak to us.

The people in the Detroit group seemed a little more professional and appreciative of the people they hand selected to attend. But, we still had to listen to the agents drone on about their importance and intelligence. Thank god they were nice people. Huge nerds, but nice.

I am fortunate to have made friends with many of the agents in both cities. I still have my graduation photos and memorabilia.

When stuff hit the fan, I was floored mostly because I thought the guys would have recognized me, or at least knew that I wasn’t their PIO, Sandra.

I didn’t know they were flown in from National.

But, even afterward, not one of the FBI agents that I spent valuable time listening to talk about how awesome and elite they are as individuals and a group... not one of them said anything publicly, on record, using their real name to anyone. Not. One.

So, yeah. I do feel betrayed.

Natalie
    Last edited by NatalieSentz; October-25-17 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Additional information

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2