Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Sports Talk Radio

What's everybody think of the new local WDFN?

The morning and afternoon shows are good. However, I think that Shep and Sharp is one of the worst sports talk shows ever. I'd like to know if I'm alone on that one.

I'm just happy that there is again an alternative to the babble on 1270.
    Shep and Sharp have their moments, but admittedly can come off as a little unpolished. But that can be a good thing.
    That said, I really miss Stoney and Wojo. They were fun to listen to on my drive home.
    In the afternoon, Jim Rome is so full of himself, I have a hard time putting up with his west coast attitude.
    One thing I cannot stomach is when they talk about the Lions. I realize it's our home town team, but they have been losers for so long, they lost me as a fan when Barry left and any talk of them makes me turn the station off. Stafford or Culpepper? Who really gives a crap!!!
    I also don't like it when they get into social issues [[racism, politics, etc).
    It's called sports radio for a reason.

I do agree with Jefferson that having a sports alternate radio station in this town is great.

Sean Baligian and Tom Kowlaski in the AM is a pleasant listen on the morning commute [[Jay Towers is NOT my idea of entertainment in the morning). Sean & Tom both seem pretty knowledgeable and have interesting observations. Admittedly I did like it when Killer was more of the Lions Insider back in the day.

Jim Rome? FEH! Why in the world would anyone want to call in and be a clone of his? I have no problem with people calling in and debating the hosts. What's wrong with an opposing view or having an intelligent discussion? He runs people for opposing views. Rome rants, raves and really has horrific questions for his few guests. In so many ways, I think Jim Rome is the Rush Limbaugh of sports talk.

Can't speak to the quality of WDFN specifically. It is certainly not unusual for local sports talk radio to broadcast presumptuous, heavily opinionated content. Said better, sports radio commentary is conclusive and decisive based on fact and opinion.

What I'm enjoying most is that with more resources available now, sports fans are empowered to make their own talk. The independence requires additional time, however it gives integrity to the fan who rejects being spoon fed. Navigating online statistics, blogs, webisodes, tube clips, TiVoing, and otherwise finding informed content is like a treasure hunt ending in pleasant surprises. Rules-based big media [[Rome et al) typically fails to provide edge.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; October-31-09 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added "Said better, sports radio commentary is conclusive and decisive based on fact and opinion."

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Rules-based big media [[Rome et al) typically fails to provide edge.
    And listeners who are referred to as "clones" don't help the case. They often hang on for hours on end to get their miserable little sound bytes in too. I don't mind listening passively to radio but to hang on for hours on end just to imitate the guy seems nutty to me.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    And listeners who are referred to as "clones" don't help the case. They often hang on for hours on end to get their miserable little sound bytes in too. I don't mind listening passively to radio but to hang on for hours on end just to imitate the guy seems nutty to me.
    The group to which you refer represent a valid business entity.

Quote Originally Posted by ghein View Post
    What's everybody think of the new local WDFN?

The morning and afternoon shows are good. However, I think that Shep and Sharp is one of the worst sports talk shows ever. I'd like to know if I'm alone on that one.
    I can't believe how offbase Drew Sharp has been, not just in his Freep articles but on the air- he's just rank amateurish at best on the airwaves.

Flog me if you want, but I like Valenti. Yeah, he's an a-hole, I like that about the show.

But I agree that these guys need to stay away from the social/political topics. If I want to listen to people intelligently discuss local issues, I'm not going to be tuning in to sports radio. Their analysis/understanding of the topics is often shallow at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Flog me if you want, but I like Valenti. Yeah, he's an a-hole, I like that about the show.

But I agree that these guys need to stay away from the social/political topics. If I want to listen to people intelligently discuss local issues, I'm not going to be tuning in to sports radio. Their analysis/understanding of the topics is often shallow at best.
    No problems with Mike Valenti here. He's opinionated and can hold his own pretty well. When challenged he can defend his POV pretty well. The majority of his opinions are pretty well thought out and are pretty spot on. Now some people might have issues with his "Angry Italian" sort of approach but beyond that, I think he's pretty enjoyable. Teaming him up with Terry Foster is great too. They pretty well informed and don't always agree but can play off of one another with some measure of decorum. It's not always clowning and I'm perfectly fine with them.

I'd take Valenti over Gregg Henson any day of the week.
    Last edited by smogboy; January-05-10 at 04:07 PM.

Ravine Guest

I like Valenti, too. He's fun. Some of his schtick has not aged well [[such as the sigh before laying out The Truth According To Mikey V.,) but he's got some fiber in his bread, and Foster-- older, more even-handed-- is there to add a nice balance.
    I have discussed that other matter with a guy from The Ticket. They are all directed to feature at least one non-sports topic on their shows. Agree with that approach or not, enjoy the results or not, bear in mind that they are carrying out a directive from The Boss.

Skipping through the radio dial a few weeks back, I heard whom I consider to be one of the best and most informed sports people on the air again. It was Jennifer Hammond back on WDFN again; she was across the table from Ryan Ermani. I remember "Hammer" back when she was with WDFN just doing the scores & updates before she jumped to FOX2 television.

We'd occasionally see her doing the sideline gig during the FOX football games, doing the sports for FOX2, and I'd always remember seeing clips of her in the post game of all the Lions games regardless of what station was in there. You'd always see her fighting & clawing her way in that madhouse trying to get a clip. During some of the pre-games shows, you'd know that she had done her homework as well Tom Kowalski or Dan Miller; she'd always be the consummate professional out there.

Never once have I ever heard her embarrass herself. She'd have opinions but they were always based in the facts and observations that she gathered; it'd never seem like blustering that you'd see guys like Rob Parker would make. Jennifer Hammond has always come across as a professional sports journalist to me- no schtick, no gimmicks, and just does her job very well. She's not just a fluffy female sports reporter, she's a top notch sports journalist that just happens to be female.