Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Mom still has her 50+ year old rotary phone [[in the basement)... but got the updated cordless phone in the living room... Still has the same TUXEDO phone number after 49+ years.... [[note: not her number in image...)

Basic Black AT&T phones... they were built to last 50 years or more and have withstood the test of time. Unlike the throwaway imported crap that doesn't last more than 8 years...

Ever try using one of these for those phone response systems.... "Press 1 for English...."
    Last edited by Gistok; October-30-09 at 05:19 PM.

George Young Nursery - Long time gone from 9 mile and Scotia in Oak Park -- LIncoln 15465......

Nobody from VErmont?

Gistock, I remember having that phone. I'm amazed it still works with today's technology. Having "cordless" lets us travel all over the house, outdoors, up & down stairs talking even on the home phone land line.

No one born after 1975 prob'ly remembers having to sit or stand right by the phone base. Maybe you had a 5-ft cord that you could stretch across a room [[and clothesline people with). You held your conversation where ever the phone was located and, if your dad was like mine, your time limit was 5 or 10 minutes. If you received more than a couple of calls in a day, dad told the next caller you were done with the phone for the night. LOL

Does anyone remember calling the weather by dialing W-E-A-T-H-E-R?
    Last edited by Corn.Bot; October-30-09 at 05:44 PM. Reason: I can;t type right to save my effing life is why

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    TUxedo 2 - 1267 from Farmbrook [[between Southampton and Frankfort)
    Detroit, 24 Michigan. [[lo, these many years ago). Don't know who has the number now.

Had a friend in high school who lived on Newport between Charlevoix and Vernor. His phone number was VAlley 2 - 1067. But he lived in the house his mother inherited from her folks. She mentioned that the phone number used to be VAlley 1054 - only six digits instead of seven.
    Same in Lincoln Park. My grandparents phone number was ATlantic and 4 digits.

EL [[elgin) 7-0579
    9 & Beech, Southfield

Man, they don't make phones like that any more. Remember how heavy those things were? They were usually hardwired to the wall -- no plugs. They had real physical bells. Dingalingaling!

Once I took one apart [[possibly a crime since it was the phone company's property) and added a jack to tap into the switchhook. That allowed me to control it with software to demon dial it from the cassette relay in the back my TRS-80 computer. When the software detected a carrier it would honk a horn that I could hear from another room. I optimized it to dial as fast as the phone company could handle. Fastest BBS dialer in the west!

Ever try to dial your own number and hang up quick so your own phone would ring ? I guess it would only work with the old technology. Several years ago my wife and I had the chance to take a guided tour of the switching station at Fort and Vinewood in Wyandotte. We were told the floor was extra thick reinforced concrete to withtand the vibration of all the mechanical relays that were used to connect the phone calls. I can remember dialing a number and getting a message that all lines were busy. My aunt who lived in Ecorse Township, later Southgate had a party line for many years. Her exchange was AVenue.

Ours was TY-7XXXX [[Tyler I think) Detroit 04 Grand River/Joy Rd

Grandmother's was UN-3XXXX [[University, since it was near U of D) 6 Mile/Puritan

We still have our old black dial phone on the basement wall and I have one that I can plug in when the power goes out. Cordless phones aren't worth two dead flies when the power is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Nobody from VErmont?
    why thanks for askin'

VErmont 8-7942
    Detroit, 27 MI
    [[NW corner of Ardmore and Eaton)

Mine was WEbster 5-XXXX, we spent the summer with ACademy 7-XXXX.
    I had friends with TExas and VErmont numbers. My first job had a NOrmandy exchange.

When I moved to Stockton CA, I was given one of the original seven digit numbers, I must have asked thirty people before I found the name was HOward.

Yes, I dialed weather, and in CA we dialed POPCORN to get the time recording, now retired.

Hey jjaba!! Let's go to Brothers for a #1 special! Plymouth Road bus to Greenfield will work for me.

Now that I think of it, the Brighton number was a party line. I think it was three short rings.
    Last edited by Mackenzie68; October-30-09 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Mom still has her 50+ year old rotary phone [[in the basement)... but got the updated cordless phone in the living room... Still has the same TUXEDO phone number after 49+ years.... [[note: not her number in image...)

Basic Black AT&T phones... they were built to last 50 years or more and have withstood the test of time. Unlike the throwaway imported crap that doesn't last more than 8 years...

Ever try using one of these for those phone response systems.... "Press 1 for English...."
    My mom still has hers also. We had to use it a while back to see if her line was out or her phone was bad

Taking you to the suburbs, we had ORlando67 or Pontiac was FEderal, 33

Or should we go back even furthur, We have a calander that only has 5 numbers for a phone on it.

Lived in Sherwood forest the number started with UN, university.
    Lived on the Eastside the number started with VA, valley.
    Lived in Farmington, the number started with GR, Greenleaf.

Moved around a lot. Now in 89 exchange is that the old Twinbrook?

Birwood was WEbster 5-8307

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Welcome back Jjaba, you'll be glad to know that we cleaned up the vermn on the Eastside by eradicating ES61 & GoBlue, so feel welcomed to that side of town anytime.
    Yes, Jjaba. Welcome.

Eastside streets, parks, churches and schools are perv / pred free. Those bloviating leechers are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    Calling from the KEnwood....
    That was ours also!

VInewood 2-0927, girlfriends, TWinbrook 3-3884, TEmple 2-7943
    914 Lawndale, Detroit, 9, MI. TW was on Riopelle off 7 Mile, TE was on Cochran off Grand River.
    Last edited by larrym; October-30-09 at 08:41 PM.

Jefferson/Chalmers south of Jeff - EDgewater 1-6701. A lot of my friends were VAlley.

My friend knew a number to dial that made his phone ring until someone answered and used to drive his grandma nuts!

TRinity 2-4383, Detroit 2, Michigan. Wow! Can't believe I still remember it. Lived on Stanley between Trumbull and Hamilton. Anyone know the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Eriedearie, we must not have lived too far from each other in Zone 13. Our phone was WAlnut2-7936. At some nebulous point in the late 60s, our phone got turned off. When it was turned back on a few months later, our WA had morphed to 92... boring! No lilt in saying "923-7170."
    As I recall from your posts you lived on Georgia Street, not too far from where Cub now lives. I lived on Ruth Street. You would go up Georgia to Fisher Street, turn right on Fisher to Ruth Street. Turn left on Ruth. My block was only one small block. Next street over from us was Marcus. So yeah, we lived real close by one another.

And Corn.bot you are right - an address such as Detroit 13, Michigan - 13 was the Zone you lived in.

When I lived in Virginia we had a party line. There were about 7 homes on our party line. When the phone would ring, you had to really pay attention to the sound of the rings. Our house was assigned 3 long rings - one after the other. Another might be assigned 3 short rings - one after the other, with a brief pause in between. If you were talking on the phone, quite often someone on the party line would pick up the phone and listen in. How rude!

So when we moved to Detroit, and had our own personal phone line my parents thought they had hit the big time!

And welcome back jjaba! Good to see you back!
    Last edited by eriedearie; October-30-09 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Addition of last sentence

Remember when there really used to be operators standing by... now dial zero and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Remember when there really used to be operators standing by... now dial zero and see what happens...
    Actually, they were seated........................

For some reason, our number didn't have the exchange thingy. It was 933-3362. all of our friends had the WE. Thinking back, I felt cheated somehow. Then we moved and our new number had BR [[broadway).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast