Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A Water & Sewerage van went down my street as I was coming in the door last night with the yellow light flashing. It was almost 8 pm I think.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I noticed that patrolling by volunteers began dropping off around 11 or midnight last night, but there was quite a number of them out b4 that. If any of you are able to sleep in tomarrow, or get up really early, please consider doing a later or early morning patrol. I stayed out until 4 and will do so again tonight. I also noticed clusters of volunteers in the same neighborhoods, probably their own, closer to downtown. But neighborhoods on the farther east and west sides are the ones getting hit with arson most recently, like Brightmoor and Gratiot/Harper areas. When I was in Brightmoor this morning, I was the only flashing light out there.

Yesterday I heard there was a shooting incident between a patrolling officer and some people over by the Fairgrounds and John R. Some folks don't like "outsiders" coming into their neighborhoods patrolling, especially if a lot of drugs are sold there, so please keep your phones handy. If you have some form of protection, bring it with you, just in case. And don't be afraid to flag down another patroller for any kind of information or assistance, you meet good people that way!

Thank You to all the volunteers, God watch over us all as we work together to protect whats left of our city.
    My group patrolled our neighborhood till 2 and 3am. From Gratiot/Harper/Vandyke/Grinnell it was quiet. Tonight is quiet also.

Sludgedaddy Guest

I could have sworn I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    You can listen in on the DFD here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1308.
    Greetings--

Does anyone know why the DPD is no longer available on this site?

Thanks

I think RR is having problems tonight, they're not showing any Detroit links active. I had to get to DFD from a saved link.

devils night only exists in detroit. People in L A have no idea what that term means. Its quiet and calm even in the worst of hoods. Keep your fire extinguisher handy and best of luck.

Radio's distorted tonight but it seems overly quiet. Several runs, most of them false alarms. Is it raining there?

Default Really appreciated the police presence tonight

and the dozen or so citizen patrol cars rolling around north corktown.

Is it storming there? Seems to be a lot of electrical problems, wires down, transformers arcing, wires arcing and so on.

We are getting some strong wind gusts here on the eastside.

Ravine Guest

Cub, we're getting the same, over here on the NW side. The kind of gusts that cause the house to make odd noises.
    And the "reception" from my stupid digital converter box [[I don't bother with having Dish Network in my grubby little man-cave in the attic) really, really sucks.
    Good thing, that I don't really care. I just thought maybe I might find an old horror movie, or something like that.

3 dwellings, McClelland & E. Jefferson

Picking up some.

2 at Mettetal & Tireman
    1 at Minock & Kirkwood
    Whitehead & Gilbert, 2 story Apt Bldg
    Archdale & Wadsworth

There's something on Dolphin too, but I missed that one. Several other smaller ones around town.

Ellery & Lutton [[Mack & Gratiot area)

Apparently another one at Archdale & Capitol.

Central is starting to get confused now. They've got several going nearby each other and companies passing each other responding.

I figured this would happen after all the yellow blinking lights went in for the night.
    Last edited by Meddle; October-31-09 at 03:51 AM.

14th & Ferry Park, commercial

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    My group patrolled our neighborhood till 2 and 3am. From Gratiot/Harper/Vandyke/Grinnell it was quiet. Tonight is quiet also.
    Sorry cub, didn't mean that no one was patrolling over there on thurs., I wasn't over there myself, just saying that your neck of the woods could use the extra help, that's all. Hope everything went well over Devil's night on the east side. Corktown, Brightmoor, and Howell Park were my patrol areas and you could hear a pin drop in all of the them.

Here's a harsh reality: many neighbors in the 1980s torched abandoned homes that had become crack houses. They'd kick open the door, if there was one, and announce ""We're burning this place in fifteen minutes. Get out!"
    Once the ruins were dozed, the neighbor got a yard and a half for the promise to pay taxes, and no more junkies living/dealing next door.
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by Paintnprint View Post
    Here's a harsh reality: ""Get out!"
    GT
    I'm not so sure of the accuracy of your tale, and I'm not going to try and contradict it.

However, keep in mind, the Tigers in October of 1984 [[October 15 I boolieve) is when they won to MLB Championship and the town fell down and made national headlines. I personally remember being on the corner of Keeler and Burgess when all hell was breaking loose by 5:00 pm that day. And wouldn't you know, Devil's Night was just around th corner. Crack had barely hit the streets in 1984. Many houses were still around. They burn down. And that roof... well, heh... ya'll know the tune.

Back to the lab.

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    I'm not so sure of the accuracy of your tale, and I'm not going to try and contradict it.

However, keep in mind, the Tigers in October of 1984 [[October 15 I boolieve) is when they won to MLB Championship and the town fell down and made national headlines. I personally remember being on the corner of Keeler and Burgess when all hell was breaking loose by 5:00 pm that day. And wouldn't you know, Devil's Night was just around th corner. Crack had barely hit the streets in 1984. Many houses were still around. They burn down. And that roof... well, heh... ya'll know the tune.

Back to the lab.
    Yes indeed. I remember well the stories of people in the neighborhoods burning down crack houses, more so in the late 80s, and removed from the 1984 World Series celebrations. For awhile the action was pretty prominent in some areas. The local band, Cynacide, even had a song titled "Burn the Crack House Down".

While I was volunteering and serving food to the Patrollers at the Centril District Police Station, I met a man who was from Yonkers, New York.

Friday, the 30th, was his first time in Detroit. He was visiting Michigan for a Journalism convention in Grand Rapids. He came to Detroit afterwards to meet a friend on the 31st, a Saturday. He decided to help out Detroit a day before he met his friend. He ended up doing a foot patrol by himself in the Midtown area around Cass, Second and Third.

I thought that was fantastic! Detroit attracts some amazing visitors, and even more amazing people live here.

On top of that, I met some fantastic Detroiters, all enthusiastic about volunteering to support their community.

I served food next to a judge who works in the 36th district court, downtown.

Not exactly a 'devil's' or 'angel's' night prank, but
    about 20 years ago some fed up Brightmoor residents were tired of no action from the city tearing down abandoned houses occupied by squatters as crack houses.
    They hooked up chains to their pick ups and pulled down the house, onto the street to expedite the clean up by city crews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2