Grew up on the west side, Greenfield/W. Chicago area, in the 1950's-60's. Would go out as soon as dusk approached, right after dinner. Would go to every house between W. Chicago and Plymouth...Sussex and Coyle. There were a lot of kids in our neighborhood, so there was usually a crowd going together, with one or two parents walking with us. Sorted our stuff just as MaxDetroit said. We also went out on "Devil's Night"-- just ringing doorbells.

We also decorated our house---one year my dad carved a pumpkin, built a stand for it, made a scarecrow body--very cool, until someone blew it up with a cherry bomb [[around 1958). We LOVED Halloween in our house---and I still love Halloween today. I consider it part of celebrating my parents legacy to me to celebrate Halloween.

Nowadays, a bunch of neighbors bring out the grills, coolers, fire pit and we have a barbecue in our driveway, and hand out stuff. We give beer to the adults and candy [[full size) to the kids. It will always be a special night to me.