October 20, 2009

Crews containing fire in River Rouge

BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
An industrial fire in the city of River Rouge is sending black smoke blowing over the city of Detroit, leading fire officials to advise people to stay inside if they see smoke near them.

“The black smoke is heavy in carbon and long-term, healthwise, if they took in a lot of smoke, it is bad,” Detroit Fire Department Captain Steve Varnas said this morning as billows of inky black soot floated along I-75 at the River Rouge bridge and into the Rosa Parks Boulevard area of the city. “When that cools enough to settle, there’s going to be black soot covering stuff. What I would probably do is wait until the fire’s out until I go outside. Usually people would tell them to just stay in the house.”

The fire broke out at 8:50 a.m. on Marion Avenue, according to an officer with the River Rouge Police Department who did not want to give her name. She said the fire looks ominous but is contained.
“If it’s a threat or endangers the safety of a citizen, we would advise them to evacuate, but at this time everything is under control,” she said at 9:30 a.m. “They’re handling the situation.”
Police in Ecorse said they also have fire personnel on the scene assisting.