Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I just love Franklin's donuts! Sorta unbleached flour base it seems. Fried or course but I just can't help it.... I have to get my yearly dozen or two! Heavenly!

Quote Originally Posted by spitcoff View Post
    I will only drink cider from Franklin it is way better than any of the rest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Where is Jjaba? I've not checked the boards until recently for years...
    There is a Where is Jjaba thread here somewhere. Check the list of topics.

Uncle John's Cider Mill in Mid-Michigan is going to hurt this year after E. coli has been found in their stuff.

Yates is our fav. We go there in the summer too for the ice cream.

I like Spartan cider and doughnuts. You can get them @ any grocery store in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Yates is our fav. We go there in the summer too for the ice cream.
    But is there any way or time-of-day to get there without getting sucked into a traffic jam?

Maybe by canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    But is there any way or time-of-day to get there without getting sucked into a traffic jam?

Maybe by canoe.
    Not in my lifetime. I can remember massive jams going there in mid-grade school. I won't say when that was, but at the time Macomb Co. was still 85% farms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Maybe by canoe.
    Easy, just go early. This year we went on a Sunday and got there about 9:30 am. No traffic and no wait for the cider and donuts.

In the Summer I think we went during the week, after lunch and it wasn't crowded at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Easy, just go early. This year we went on a Sunday and got there about 9:30 am. No traffic and no wait for the cider and donuts.

In the Summer I think we went during the week, after lunch and it wasn't crowded at all.
    Thanks. That's good to know.

The fact that Yates creates traffic jams is a testimony to their popularity.

I still think it would be cool to to arrive by canoe though — until there's a traffic jam of canoes. LOL!

Another vote for Franklin Cider Mill, which has the twin advantages of being both close and good. Love those donuts, and have never really found their equal elsewhere.

Of course, some people want their cider with a side of a ride into the country, which you sure won't get from going to Franklin. In fact, it's become quite a bit harder to do that around here. When I was a kid my grandparents would drive us way up Van Dyke to Romeo to go look at country fall colors and farm animals, and to have some cider and donuts. Last time I was up that way, the orchards we used to go to had been covered by a car dealer and Van Dyke had been lined with miles more of craptastic generic suburbia.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And more places are pasteurizing
    To the point where it's becoming pretty damn difficult to find unpasteurized cider. I understand the food safety issues involved, but the heating of pasteurization really flattens out the taste and makes it almost syrupy.

when do the cider mills close down for the year?

^^^ Usually around Thanksgiving...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    To the point where it's becoming pretty damn difficult to find unpasteurized cider
    We just went to Rochester Cider Mill for the first time. It's on Rochester Road a few miles north of downtown, a couple of weeks back, and they sell unpasteurized cider. It was good too. Granted it was cold the day we went, but it was very low key, not like the three ring circus that some of the other places have turned into, and as someone who hates crowds and standing in line for things that you didn't used to have to stand in line for, this was a very good experience.

Just don't everybody start going and ruin it for me, now

So how long has Yates been around? The place looked old when I went as a kid, but we always enjoyed the trip. Anyone know the 'natural' secret to making the cider a little richer color? Found out about ten years ago at Yates.Name:  yates-1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  86.6 KB

I grew up in Romeo. My folks still live there. The only place we ever buy cider and donuts from is Verellen's:

http://www.verellenorchards.com/

Not much of a tourist destination, but the best product.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I grew up in Romeo. My folks still live there. The only place we ever buy cider and donuts from is Verellen's:

http://www.verellenorchards.com/

Not much of a tourist destination, but the best product.
    Is that the one that has a little building on it that sells apple cider floats?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Is that the one that has a little building on it that sells apple cider floats?
    I don't think so, but I could be wrong. It's basically a small roadside stand south of town.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. It's basically a small roadside stand south of town.
    Used to go to one every year in Romeo with friends, but I can't recall the name. It wasn't one of the big fancier operations. Picked apples, cider, doughnuts, but it was a big deal to get the cider shakes, [[not from overindulging). They had a small house-like structure onsite. Like I said, it wasn't fancy, but the apples, cider, doughnuts, were very good.

Hy's cider mill in Romeo. Super-fresh cider [[they pull it off the line and stock the fridge directly) and cinnamon donuts made to order. Our favorite used to be Coon Creek, but they stopped making cider and just sell to other mills now.

Also awesome is Erwin Orchard near Brighton. Their donuts aren't quite as good, but they still sell unpasteurized cider, which is twice as rich and flavorful as the pasteurized stuff.

No, I was wrong. I got hold of my friends, it was Stony Creek Orchard in Romeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No, I was wrong. I got hold of my friends, it was Stony Creek Orchard in Romeo.
    I didn't remember it by name, but I looked it up and remember going a few times in my youth. Good place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3