Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Has this past week been one of the best emotional stretches for the Wings or what?

•March 15th- 1:19 left in the third period and Tomas Holmstrom beats the Calgary Flames with an amazing tip-in.
    •March 19th- Brian Rafalski ties the game to at least net us one point with two-tenths of a second left in regulation.
    •March 20th- Henrik Zetterberg wins the game in OT with a nifty backhander over Roberto Luongo as the buzzer goes off.
    •March 22nd- While Detroit handles the Penguins pretty well in a 3-1 victory, seeing the rookie netminder Jimmy Howard come to the defense of his team mate, Henrik Zetterberg at the end of the game is what makes certain goalies in this town legendary. His face wash of the perennial NHL darling/ punk Sidney Crosby will be the talk of sports radio in the AM. I think fans will remember moments like that for years to come. We've had a pretty good history of our goalies in this town not afraid to scrap and hold their own for this team.

Way to go Jimmy Howard. Way to endear yourself to your team mates and this town!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkOdCEgnv3U

Having never been much of a fan of the shootout to determine winners in any game [[to me, it's nearly tantamount to a skills competition), I will have to admit that the Wings/ Predators game did get interesting once the shootout started going deeper into the roster.

The only forwards that didn't shoot for the Wings were Darren Helm and Derek Meech, who is technically a converted defenseman playing up in the place of Dan Cleary. Seeing Kronwall tuck that shot between the pads of Rinne was nice to see. It was also nice to see Bertuzzi finally crack the armor of Rinne too with his slow [[nearly plodding) methodical approach in the shootout.

I also wonder how much ribbing poor Patrick Eaves got for tumbling on his way into taking the shot.

While it was nice for the Wings to have won the game, ideally I still wish we would've won this game in regulation therefore snaring the sole two points. Instead the shootout win gave the Predators an extra earned point. It is nice to see the Wings relatively healthy and playing with some grit. The game earlier wasn't anything special to bring me out of my seat and it wasn't like a true defensive struggle either. Maybe it was the horrific ice conditions that made both teams tentative to make the first mistake, but it was a snoozer up until the shootout. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Wings end up 5th place overall in the division if they continue playing this well- they've ground out some pretty gritty games against some pretty good talent as of late.

I just hope that this team does not play down to Edmonton's level the next game. I think we took them too lightly the last time in Alberta and nearly didn't get a point out of it. I hope that Babcock scowl will continue to motivate this team and help its confidence peak at the right time. I don't think there are going to be too many teams wanting to play a healthy veteran Wings team surging into the playoffs.

We haven't had our regular lineup since the 2nd game of the season with all of our long term injuries of some of our best players , what we are seeing now is our regular lineup has all returned with some games under their belts and we are now back to the Red Wing hockey we are used to . Alot of these players have missed many many games , but they haven't experienced the grind of the entire season which adds up to players that won't be tired come playoff time .

Eaves was pretty funny, once we finally won. That will be on sports blooper shows for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Eaves was pretty funny, once we finally won. That will be on sports blooper shows for years to come.
    It's funny NOW because we won. Imagine if we would've lost. I know the team would've teased him mercilessly but if the Wings would've lost the game, he would've been teased even worse claiming that HIS shot would've been the game winner.

The ice was awful in Nashville, nobody could score in regulation or OT or the Shootout.
    I remember being critical of Howard earlier this year, now he seems to be more confident. Looking at the big picture, the team out there now is the same team that was in the finals last year. Earlier in the year we were a mere shadow of were we are now. That sure would make a goalie look better.
    Looks like we are a lock for the playoffs now, things could start to get interesting. We a re probably the freshest team in the NHL at this point.

Bring on the Coyotes!

Hard to believe this is the longest time that the Wings have had to open a playoff series on the road. But then this is a veteran team that I'm willing to bet that no one in the league wants in the first round. The Wings have been on an amazing stretch of games winning them in every fashion, so let's see how this team will fare.

I'm optimistically reserved this time around- unlike years before where I was pretty darn sure they'd make it to the Big Dance.

Did I hear Versus say they will show back to back games for 7 straight nights? Wow. Add that to the Wings games on Fox, and games on CBC. I have to stock up on chips and beer. Fresh batteries for the remote, too.

Dammit, we were the only visiting team not to win tonight.

Now, that was tough. Unable to watch the Wings' game while working nights for 1984 wages. Could have been worse, though. The last time I worked for1984 wages, the "Detroit Dead Things" were the laughing stock of the NHL, and had to give away cars, in order to sell tickets...

Special teams let us down, but its only one game. Gotta win Friday, though. Then we have them in our barn. Pissed me off that the Coyotes were hitting after the whistle on numerous occasions and not getting called for it. No call on the stick to Lidstom's face was a joke, too.

Wow. I'll be the first one to admit that our Wings were a determined bunch last night. From the first puck drop to the end of the game, I thought they just exerted their will against the Coyotes. They just wanted the game more and it showed. The skill level of our skilled guys came front & forward. It was a delight to see the support & forecheck of the forwards in our defensive zone; the breakouts seemed relatively effortless and much much smoother. It was also nice to see so many shots being fired at Bryzgalov too; when was the last time we had 50 shots at anyone's net? It was truly a dominant performance against considerably one of the hottest teams since the Olympic break in Phoenix.

It was one of the best performances I've seen from the Wings in a long time. Unfortunately, we have to see it on Fox Sports Arizona here [[Versus blacked out) and listen to Dave Strader, et al bemoan the Coyotes' fate. At least Dave Tippett later said that the Wings simply dictated playthe entire game and raised their play to a level the Coyotes couldn't equal. Bring on the Sharks.

I thought we had much better player movement on the power play, rather than everyone standing still and just point shots. The pk was great, getting in the lanes and not letting Schneider tee up. Great goal by Stewart putting us up three with secs left in the 2nd period and was really the dagger in the throat. Loved Homers big hit on Jovanowski behind the net. Anyone see Hallak shutdown Ovechkin and the Caps in game 6 and 7? Some of the best playoff goaltending ever.

I agree.

I also find it interesting that the 1, 2, 3 & 5 seeds won in the west, but the 4, 6, 7 & 8 seeds won in the east. If things go well, could it be the Wings and Penguins again?

Wings inability to hold the lead along with their turnovers and poor defensive play have bitten them pretty hard. Going to be tough to win 4 straight, but it can be done.

The sharks are just better than the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Wings inability to hold the lead along with their turnovers and poor defensive play have bitten them pretty hard. Going to be tough to win 4 straight, but it can be done.
    Well put. They are being outplayed when it counts, and outfoxed when the referees are watching. It will take a stellar performance, four games running, from Howard, to even have a chance. Didn't see this last night.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Well put. They are being outplayed when it counts, and outfoxed when the referees are watching. It will take a stellar performance, four games running, from Howard, to even have a chance. Didn't see this last night.

Call me ye of little faith, but I got up from my seat at the game last night when they tied it and said " fuck this they are going to lose I 'm going back to the bar!" You could just see it coming.

I like what Babcock said; Someone comes back from 0-3 about every 33 years, so its time. The Sharks are feeling a tightness in their throats now, thinking they must win game 5 or risk going back to a raucous Joe Louis arena. The thoughts of previous Shark playoff chokes is on their minds as well.

I would love to win 3 more, that would be cool. Last year the Pen's won 4 out of the last 5 against us to win the cup, so things can change quickly.
    I think there are other powers that be that will stop us from winning however. To many strange calls so far. Not to take away from San Jose, but the quick start to the series, the one sided penalties. I think they want a west coast team or Chicago in the finals.

Well, in the words of Bobby Womack, it's all over now. I don't care who wins the cup, as long as the Penguins do not...

Thumbs up

I think we have been spoiled by having such superior teams over the years. This Red Wing team got about as much mileage out of themselves as could be expected.
    The best thing is Jimmy Howard became the #1 goalie this year.
    They need to tighten the D big time. Too many coughed up pucks this year. Like a nightmare happening over and over again, when a simple dumpout would do Kronwell or Stuart would muff a pass and all hell would break loose.
    Lindstrom also looked shaky at times this year and I think age is catching up with him.
    Maltby and Draper should retire. If they get another scorer and a few faster skaters,
    I think they should contend better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Lindstrom also looked shaky at times this year and I think age is catching up with him.
    For a guy who's played marvelously here for 18 years, why is it fans still call him "Lindstrom"?

It's LIDSTROM! There's no N in his last name. Is this the most misspelled, mispronounced name in all of recent Detroit sports history?? I swear people in this town have an easier time with Ndamukong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast