Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tom Barrow

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Mayor Bing has been in office for 5 months now. In that time, he has made absolutely no progress in turning the City of Detroit around. ...
    He's talked about lots of different things [[layoffs, restructuring, a fee for Belle Isle, etc.) but he hasn't implemented a single thing. Not one single thing.
    Actually, there have been a few layoffs and the City had a DOWOP [[furlough) day last week. So, there are 2 things he's done. Although these are just baby steps in the marathon to eliminate the budget deficit.

Barrow might have a better chance that thought if AFSCME can rally enough support for him beyond the union ranks. However, I don't think he'll win, just make it interesting.

Did anyone see Barrow on WTVS with Nolan Finley and Stephen Henderson? He looked rather "mayoral" to me.

I haven't campaigned for anyone in a while. It seems like I bring the kiss of defeat. Years ago Barrow was impressive against Coleman, can't believe Kwame got a second term. Same goes for Bush. Don't let me near our ball parks cause if I attend they lose. My contribution this time is to just vote.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    Did anyone see Barrow on WTVS with Nolan Finley and Stephen Henderson? He looked rather "mayoral" to me.
    He seemed rather pompous to me, so I guess I agree with you.

Yes he was a bit pompous. He was also making a lot of promises.

If you don't think this statement is devisive then you and I are not reading this the same way....
    "I'm running for mayor because our city is in a crisis and for the first time City Hall and our schools are being run by people who are not Detroiters,"
    Its not about who is running the city, but how to save the city. The city and suburbs should work together to solve our regional problems together. Stop with the us vs them mentality......That is what got this region in the shape it is in now.

I guess all I can say is, with Bing's time in office, combined with the huge number of volunteers, where are the changes? Where are the big announcements? Who has been working on how to move the city forward? I'm not talking about creating a list of what Detroit can sell off in the near future for a one time cash payment. I want to know what is being done to attract jobs to Detroit? What is being done to attract people to Detroit? What is being done to improve the quality of life in the city making it more attractive to people, and more tolerable for those that live here? Perhaps most importly, where is our mayor? He seems more like the man behind the curtain from the land of Oz, only making the occasional press release in order to relay either the latest doomsday numbers, or to inform us to disregards the last announcement, money has been magically discovered to get us by until [[pick a date).

I'm not surprised Barrow is gaining ground. I also have to question how accurate the polls are anymore? How many people actually have house phones to be polled in the first place?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2