Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thank you for all your feedback, we are looking at houses tomorrow. We are really excited to move to EEV. I would like to add that crime that is at pointe plaza or whatever it is called.. is not EEV. I find that un-related to crime in EEV. I live in Corktown, I dont consider the crime in mexican village to be related to corktown.

Thanks again! We will have a housewarming once we move to meet everyone!!

Is there a EEV email list/google group/yahoo group? If not.. i would love to start one! We have one in Corktown and it is VERY helpful.

You should email eeveditor@gmail.com and get on the newsletter distribution list.

I lived in EEV, on Grayton just south of Warren, from 1998-2002. It's encouraging to see the optimism from those of you who live there now. I truly enjoyed living in that neighborhood; I still think it's a good bet for those who want to live in the city on the eastside. I hope the area can maintain its overall health and stage a comeback.

Haikoont Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    LOL @ the armchair EEV residents who don't live within 500 miles of the neighborhood.
    LOL @ the armchair Detroit obsessive who lives even further away than that.

Loralei, welcome to the forum!

Cycle - We are just finishing up updating a 3 bedroom Colonial on Bishop, if you are interested you can even choose the carpet colors. You can e-mail me at rat38@comcast.net.

BTW - We are not carpetbaggers, we have owned our own house on Bishop since 2000.

I also agree with most posters - What does Crawford know about anything going on in our city?

stinkbug Guest

Crawford hates Detroit and black people. That's enough, right?

This has been one of the best threads in a while. It talks about the real Detroit, our neighborhoods. Obviously I am biased because I live here. Not sure about scrappers, only one of the thirteen homes [[now all sold) were attacked. The perps surgically removed the kitchen. I assume they wanted it to redo a home they bought. The curent owner got a great price because of the loss. She was able to install a brand new drop dead beautiful kitchen that was customized to her wants and needs.

As a neighborhood we are quite vigilant without being vigilantes. I don't see my world through rose colored glasses however. Our lack of violent crime may stem from a lack of teens. Mostly, we are empty nesters, seniors and young newly weds.
    Not too many kids. That may change with a new "state of the art" Finney high school.

Last year a group of kids from Four Corners thought they would have a bit of fun on our street. They were throwing rocks at a neighbors dog. We challenged them to stop, but they laughed at us. My Mom, 89 yrs old at the time marched over and told them to leave. They did and have not seen them since. She had more guts than we did.

I truely hope you choose to buy here. This is not Mecca or Nirvana. No assurances, but if you want to live in the city this is really a great place to plant some roots.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Last year a group of kids from Four Corners .....
    I've been out of the area for several nears now and don't think you're talking about Colorado/New Mexico/Arizona/Nevada so I assume Four Corners is a reference to either a Detroit neighborhood or possibly gang name. To what area does "Four Corners" refer?

DetroitDad Guest

Default I-94

The thing that gets me is I-94, which is a mess at rush hour. If you need to get to the West side, Midtown, or Downtown for work, I don't see how you could live on the East side.

EMG, I believe "Four Corners" is a private school.

Stromberg2

The neighborhoods that abut each other on the far eastside were called NEAR, DEAR and ONE. Looking for an id respectively they are now Morningside, East English Village and Four Corners.

I find the name Four Corners quite witty. They touch Detroit, Harper Woods and two of the Pointes.

A short response to old memories. Lived on Canyon until I was ten. 7/Mack was a destination. My first chocolate soda was at the Cunningham Drugs on the corner. There was also a Kresges and a Woolsworth there. Which one had the Mynah bird that talked dirty? Also remember an eyeglass place that had catwoman type glasses done in rhinestones. I wanted those glasses so bad. Just fun memories.

stinkbug Guest

I went on the home tour and am pretty much sold. I'm looking at a house on Grayton. As far as Detroit neighborhoods go, I don't think you can ask for much more.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    I went on the home tour and am pretty much sold. I'm looking at a house on Grayton. As far as Detroit neighborhoods go, I don't think you can ask for much more.
    Stinkbug- we saw one house today and are seeing another tomorrow.. we should compare notes! Are you by any chance the guy who lives in N.Corktown?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    The neighborhoods that abut each other on the far eastside were called NEAR, DEAR and ONE. Looking for an id respectively they are now Morningside, East English Village and Four Corners.

I find the name Four Corners quite witty. They touch Detroit, Harper Woods and two of the Pointes.

A short response to old memories. Lived on Canyon until I was ten. 7/Mack was a destination. My first chocolate soda was at the Cunningham Drugs on the corner. There was also a Kresges and a Woolsworth there. Which one had the Mynah bird that talked dirty? Also remember an eyeglass place that had catwoman type glasses done in rhinestones. I wanted those glasses so bad. Just fun memories.
    Aha! I remember the NEAR, DEAR, and ONE acronyms - North East Area Residents, Detroit East Area Residents, and ... not sure about ONE - Organized Neighbors East? At the time I lived there, my neighborhood [[bounded by Morang, I-94, Whittier, and Kelly) was called NU [[Neighbors United).

Default the view from Grayton Street.

I'm looking up and down my quiet block at my neighbors' houses that are kept up and garbage-free, and at the one vacant house where people take turns cutting the grass and making sure the doors and windows are intact. EEV is an island of stability in a sea of chaos, and it infuriates me that we are ignored by people who don't offer any ideas about how to make the city better. To me it seems like cleaning up after yourself, watching out for your neighbors, knowing where your kids are and what they're doing, and simply taking a walk around your neighborhood is a pretty good start. And none of this costs you a thing.

EMG quote: "At the time I lived there, my neighborhood [[bounded by Morang, I-94, Whittier, and Kelly) was called NU [[Neighbors United)."

The Neighbors United moniker struck a chord with me. Way back when - in 1976 - my bride and I purchased a beautiful 3-bedroom colonial at 11711 Riad, between Whittier and Yorktown. What a great neighborhood that was! Great next-door neighbors, too. On one side were the Maloneys and on the other were Mr. and Mrs. Chateau. They had four children - Father Paul, Father John, Sister Melanie, and Mike, who attended seminary but found it wasn't for him. He worked for Catholic Social Services.

Sometime around 1978, I think, the neighbors got together and developed a CB Patrol on Friday and Saturday nights. We'd slowly cruise the neighbor sectors and report any suspicious activities to the guy who pretty much headed up the organization. His name was Joe Penny. Does that ring any bells with you?

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    In your original post you spoke as if you have a clear understanding of EEV yet residents comments contradict yours. So should I listen to direct comments from the residents of the community or antedoctal stories that are second hand from your sister?

You may use Pointe Plaza frequently but it doesn't change the face that the statement 'crime is now creeping across Mack into GPW from that mall on the corner of Moross and Mack' is complete bullshit. Whether your sister is incorrect or you are incorrect is irrelevant. I am often at that strip of businesses and your claims are ridiculous.

You also stated that many homes are now rented and like Harper Woods is 'experiencing a dramatic drop in home prices and rising crime rates.' If you are making the statement the responsibility is on you to prove your assertions espectially when residents state otherwise. Your sisters stories don't count as proof.

Also stating, 'She wouldn't return, and didn't have much hope that the area would get better unless it was broken off from Detroit and became an autonomous city. ' is nothing more than your sisters opinion. This is also the sister claiming that Pointe Plaza is turning into a nexus of crime that is quickly extending into GP.

I don't want to choose if it is you or your sister that is full of shit but it certainly one of you that is exaggerating/distorting.
    No, actually, you're the one full of shit.

If you actually read my post, you'd have seen that I complimented the neighborhood, and the association for their efforts in keeping this neighborhood looking as good as it does, especially compared to the rest of Detroit.

I happen to own two homes in the neighborhood as investments, which have long term renters, one of which I inherited from the previous owner. My properties look great, and are well maintained.

My sister lived on Bishop for years before selling, and being raised in Grosse Pointe, I STILL have friends who live in EEV, and visit often, as I said, monthly.

She loves the area, but doesn't feel safe there being middle aged and single, and moved where she felt safer.

So your assumption that someone who's a neighbor AND homeowner, and doesn't keep on top of what is happening in the neighborhood, just proves you're the one full of shit.

Crime is an issue, especially in the Moross/Mack area. My sister lives there on the the Grosse Pointe side, and knows better than you do, so I wouldn't assume if I were you.

So don't give me your chickenshit line about someone not living day to day in the neighborhood and not knowing what's going on.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    I looked at a home to buy as an investment on Grayton, first house behind the Pizza Hut on Warren. It was a lovely little English style house with stained glass interior doors, and was in pretty good condition considering it was vacant at the time.

Ended up buying a home in Southfield, though I have two others in EEV.

Don't know if it's still available- this was back in March or April, but it was only 13 or 14k at the time.

No, actually, you're the one full of shit.
    I doubt it. I am sure I spend more time there and have a better understanding of the community than you but let's address some of your other points.

If you actually read my post, you'd have seen that I complimented the neighborhood, and the association for their efforts in keeping this neighborhood looking as good as it does, especially compared to the rest of Detroit.
    Your second post stated that. Your first, which is the one I responded to stated nothing of the sort. Your first post in this thread is second hand comments from your sister about crime creeping into GPW 'from that mall on the corner of Moross and Mack.' Then you continue on about what you have heard from your sister

You then comtinue on with "
    Her friends who stayed in EEV after she left, have all left now. Not if that's any indication, but many homes are rented in that area now, as they are in Harper Woods, which is also experiencing a dramatic drop in home prices and rising crime rates.

She wouldn't return, and didn't have much hope that the area would get better unless it was broken off from Detroit and became an autonomous city."

You make no mention fo your experiences or opinion just those of your sister. Makes me wonder how you originally went strictly by your sister's statements then suddenly are an expert renter/frequent visitor.

I happen to own two homes in the neighborhood as investments, which have long term renters, one of which I inherited from the previous owner. My properties look great, and are well maintained.
    Interesting. Your original comments are ll second hand bs from your sister now you are suddently vested in the community.

My sister lived on Bishop for years before selling, and being raised in Grosse Pointe, I STILL have friends who live in EEV, and visit often, as I said, monthly.
    Yet, your original post was all second hand from your sister. If you truly are such an expert on EEV I would think that your original post would indicate a little more than 'my sister says' along with claims [[with no support) of crime reeping over from that mall.

She loves the area, but doesn't feel safe there being middle aged and single, and moved where she felt safer.
    I have no qualms about that and think people should live where they feel safe. Of course you previously stated that she moved 12 years ago yet remains an expert [[much like you) on the area.

So your assumption that someone who's a neighbor AND homeowner, and doesn't keep on top of what is happening in the neighborhood, just proves you're the one full of shit.
    I disagree. I also find it intriguing that your original post indicates all your sister's opinion then you suddenly are in the community monthly and own two homes. Either you are full of shit or you should cite your own opinions as opposed to regurgitating what your sister 'believes' to be the case.

Of course you still haven't supported any of your claims with actual information. So please show me:

1. Stats showing all of the crime creeping over to GPW or EEV from 'that mall on..'
    2. Why your original post is strictly the opinion of your sister and then you suddenly became an owner/expert on EEV in the span of a couple more posts. I suspect someone that vested in the community would have originally spoken from more than their sister's opinion.

Crime is an issue, especially in the Moross/Mack area. My sister lives there on the the Grosse Pointe side, and knows better than you do, so I wouldn't assume if I were you.
    Sorry, your sisters antedoctal stroies don't amount to fact. I would like some real information not the crap you or your sister present as fact

So don't give me your chickenshit line about someone not living day to day in the neighborhood and not knowing what's going on.
    What is chickenshit about it? I question the integrity/honesty of the statements that were made by your sister then you. Hell, your changing knowledge of the area in a few posts make me question pretty much anything you state.

I'm going to question anyone that states, "'crime is now creeping across Mack into GPW from that mall on the corner of Moross and Mack'

So call me chickenshit all you will. I await your next post when you claim that you live in EEV or that your sister was mugged getting pizza at Buddys yesterday

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Lorax, I think he was referring to our resident Detroit hater who lives in New York and once again chimed in with his usual b.s. about EEV[[and the D in general) being such a horrible place.
    Riight, I must obviously be a Detroit hater if I don't recommend someone buy a home on the fringe of the most dangerous and depopulated area of Detroit!

And I hate metro Detroit so much, that I eventually plan to move back! Gee, what hatred!

No, you're just mad that someone calls you out on the "Detroit proper is on the cusp of a dramatic revival" BS. It's been "on the cusp" for 50 years, and gets worse and worse, year after year.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I doubt it. I am sure I spend more time there and have a better understanding of the community than you but let's address some of your other points.

Your second post stated that. Your first, which is the one I responded to stated nothing of the sort. Your first post in this thread is second hand comments from your sister about crime creeping into GPW 'from that mall on the corner of Moross and Mack.' Then you continue on about what you have heard from your sister

You then comtinue on with "
    Her friends who stayed in EEV after she left, have all left now. Not if that's any indication, but many homes are rented in that area now, as they are in Harper Woods, which is also experiencing a dramatic drop in home prices and rising crime rates.

She wouldn't return, and didn't have much hope that the area would get better unless it was broken off from Detroit and became an autonomous city."

You make no mention fo your experiences or opinion just those of your sister. Makes me wonder how you originally went strictly by your sister's statements then suddenly are an expert renter/frequent visitor.

Interesting. Your original comments are ll second hand bs from your sister now you are suddently vested in the community.

Yet, your original post was all second hand from your sister. If you truly are such an expert on EEV I would think that your original post would indicate a little more than 'my sister says' along with claims [[with no support) of crime reeping over from that mall.

I have no qualms about that and think people should live where they feel safe. Of course you previously stated that she moved 12 years ago yet remains an expert [[much like you) on the area.

I disagree. I also find it intriguing that your original post indicates all your sister's opinion then you suddenly are in the community monthly and own two homes. Either you are full of shit or you should cite your own opinions as opposed to regurgitating what your sister 'believes' to be the case.

Of course you still haven't supported any of your claims with actual information. So please show me:

1. Stats showing all of the crime creeping over to GPW or EEV from 'that mall on..'
    2. Why your original post is strictly the opinion of your sister and then you suddenly became an owner/expert on EEV in the span of a couple more posts. I suspect someone that vested in the community would have originally spoken from more than their sister's opinion.

Sorry, your sisters antedoctal stroies don't amount to fact. I would like some real information not the crap you or your sister present as fact

What is chickenshit about it? I question the integrity/honesty of the statements that were made by your sister then you. Hell, your changing knowledge of the area in a few posts make me question pretty much anything you state.

I'm going to question anyone that states, "'crime is now creeping across Mack into GPW from that mall on the corner of Moross and Mack'

So call me chickenshit all you will. I await your next post when you claim that you live in EEV or that your sister was mugged getting pizza at Buddys yesterday
    Go ahead and question all you want, I don't have to prove "honesty" or "integrity" to someone who at face value decries the very real experiences of another as "full of shit" from the get go.

You better strap on your hip-boots when posting next time.

Go look up the local crime blotter in Grosse Pointe, those crimes that were reported will be there. And, yes, my sister is "lying" about crime only 200 feet from her front door, and decided to get new/better windows installed in addition to a security system and motion sensor lights as a result. This has been happening for a while, it's only increased in recent months.

There have been robberies of, and in the parking lot of the Walgreen's on Moross and Mack, and a carjacking.

And as for your belief that I'm lying about home ownership in the area, you can believe what you want, but you're better off with me owning homes in the area, since I'm responsible as a small investor, unlike the slumlords who own dozens of homes and only sit back collecting rents without maintaining their properties.

When I originally posted, I mentioned my sister's home on Bishop as it relates to the changes from years ago. It is worse off in many ways, as is the whole of Detroit, but it shouldn't negate the devotion of those who live there and work to keep it a habitable neighborhood, and that includes my tenants. I wouldn't care if I didn't have a vested interest in being there.

I don't know what sort of chip you're walking around with, but ad hominem attacks don't accomplish anything.

Go ahead and question all you want, I don't have to prove "honesty" or "integrity" to someone who at face value decries the very real experiences of another as "full of shit" from the get go.
    My comments on 'full of shit' were about crime spilling over from 'that mall at .....'. You still haven't proven otherwise. Your antedoctal evidence or that of your sister doesn;t mean much of anything. Claims need facts. You are not showing any.

You better strap on your hip-boots when posting next time.
    Okay, not too sure what you mean by this but that is fine I will go purchase some hip-boots.

Go look up the local crime blotter in Grosse Pointe, those crimes that were reported will be there. And, yes, my sister is "lying" about crime only 200 feet from her front door, and decided to get new/better windows installed in addition to a security system and motion sensor lights as a result. This has been happening for a while, it's only increased in recent months.
    Can you give me a link. I tried to find them but my searches were unsuccessul. Of course your sister is the one stating this and you are backing her so the least you could do is supply a link.

It may not be a matter of lying but matter of perspective. Perhaps she happened to know two victims so the appearance is that crime is increasing. This is antedoctal. I ask for facts and you supply more antedoctal evidence. I'm a fan of facts and will happily admit I am wrong if you have any real facts.

And as for your belief that I'm lying about home ownership in the area, you can believe what you want, but you're better off with me owning homes in the area, since I'm responsible as a small investor, unlike the slumlords who own dozens of homes and only sit back collecting rents without maintaining their properties.
    If you do own and maintain your properties you are certainly better than the slumlords and even some homeowners. i questioned it simply because it was not brought up until your rebuttal about how well you know the neighboorhood.

When I originally posted, I mentioned my sister's home on Bishop as it relates to the changes from years ago. It is worse off in many ways, as is the whole of Detroit,
    So you use a home that she left 12 years ago to compare to EEV now bt you ue antedoctal stories about crime increaing recently. Using timelines of 12 years and a couple months as evidence to support the same claim is questionable at best. i hope that you are not a member of the scientific community with your liberal use of data and inputs.

but it shouldn't negate the devotion of those who live there and work to keep it a habitable neighborhood, and that includes my tenants
    Agreed 100%

I wouldn't care if I didn't have a vested interest in being there.
    I appreciate your honesty that you care only about your investment and not the neighborhood or the residents.

I don't know what sort of chip you're walking around with, but ad hominem attacks don't accomplish anything.
    Not so much a chip but your claims are predicated on second hand info from your sister and your claim of knowledge/investment have changed/increased throughout the course of this discussion.

Now, please prove me wrong and post some facts that prove I and the residents of EEV that have posted here are wrong. momma's cousin's sister's brother's claims of changes/crime/mall being the nexus of evil dont count as real facts.

Now just one more question - If the mall is so terrifying and full of crime why are you frequenting it so often?

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Riight, I must obviously be a Detroit hater if I don't recommend someone buy a home on the fringe of the most dangerous and depopulated area of Detroit!
    No, your a Detroit hater because all you ever do is talk about how horrible the D is. And EEV is hardly on the fringe of the most dangerous area of Detroit, but you wouldn't know that from NY.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    And I hate metro Detroit so much, that I eventually plan to move back! Gee, what hatred!
    If you do move back to Southeast Michigan, I seriously doubt you'll move to Detroit. More likely than not, you'll move to northern Macomb County or Oakland County and be one of those clowns who gleefully boast about how its been years since you ventured into Detroit proper.

Lorax Guest

Since you're a lover of "facts" here's a few for you to digest.

I'm sure you have your local 48224 stats, I can't find them from here, only the city of Detroit stats are available. Best I can do from Florida on a Sunday night.

It took me a while to find it, but here's the most comprehensive stats up to 2007 I can find on Grosse Pointe Woods:

http://www.citymelt.com/city/Michiga...-MI/Crime.html

You'll notice that the last three years of records show a historical increase in overall crime, though GPW is well below the national average of crimes per capita.

And for Harper Woods:

http://www.citymelt.com/city/Michiga...-MI/Crime.html

Harper woods is far above the the national average for crimes per capita.

No, I wouldn't care about what I cannot control or influence in a neighborhood I don't have a vested interest in. Nor would you. By your metric, why not come to Miami and do some community outreach in your spare time.
    Last edited by Lorax; October-18-09 at 11:03 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast