Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Actually, Macy's is about 10 steps ahead of you, since they stock their stores according to shopper demographics. For instance, they will stock Northland and Eastland with Sean John and Baby Phat products because the target demographic for those products shop there and live nearby.
    While that is true, it still doesn't account for the fact that their "urban wear" is still fairly overpriced for the demographic they're serving. I believe the sales prices of a "Sean John" or "Fubu" item there is around $100 [[give or take). I know of several places nearby where you can purchase the same item for half [[or even 75%) of Macy's SALES price.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If Macy's in Eastland Mall left, then Eastland Mall dies. Eastland needs Macy's to survive.
    Not quite, they still have Target.

Though that location has been on death watch as well in Minneapolis due to it's outrageous shrinkage.

As far as I'm concerned, if a mall's biggest anchor is "Target," I don't think it can honestly be considered a mall.

I love to shop at JC Penney for dress shirts and casual wear. I'll also buy a nice pair of earrings for my wife from JC Penney. I go to JC Penney in Fairlane and it is always busy. I love to shop at Target as well, but I don't think of Target as a mall department store because I rarely ever go to the ones in the malls. I go to Target mainly for dry goods, CDs, DVDs, and electronics. When I go to Sears, I mainly look at small appliances, tools, and electronics. When I go to Macy's, I look at kichen ware. If a department stores focus on what they do well, they will survive.

OHH Professorscott! You have recieved very strong rebuttals from those forumers. That makes your comments NON-SEQUITUR. malls or no malls, department stores are doing just fine. They are growing by the numbers everywhere in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if a mall's biggest anchor is "Target," I don't think it can honestly be considered a mall.
    Wonderland was like that for a while.

"Shrinkage" in the Detroit store was one of the deciding factors when Dayton's decided to close Detroit's downtown landmark store while keeping Minneapolis' downtown landmark department store - large amounts of stock were just evaporating. When I read Mr. Bobb's reports about DPS materials just walking away I think of how we lost Hudson's.

Yeah, Eastland is jam packed on the weekends but it is geared towards a more urban mindset. The stoores are geared towards a certain demographic...lots of shoe stores and urban clothing. It is what it is, but seems to do well. The target at eastland, while very nice looking, has one of the highest theft rates in the country, or so I am told by a manager there.

Oakland Mall is the mosst diverse mall in the region as far as the backgrounds of the shoppers. Middle eastern, eastern European, African Americans, Canadians. it is very diverse, but has a good number of vacant windows. The place needs a moderate facelift as does Lakeside. Partridge Creek is a VERY nice place, but too far out and too packed.

Bring back Hudson's !! Macy's is junk!

Rideron Guest

Macy's at Eastland is a joke. Eastland itself is a joke, Hell, Detroit is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    "Shrinkage" in the Detroit store was one of the deciding factors when Dayton's decided to close Detroit's downtown landmark store while keeping Minneapolis' downtown landmark department store - large amounts of stock were just evaporating. When I read Mr. Bobb's reports about DPS materials just walking away I think of how we lost Hudson's.
    Swamp, this is true. I used to work at the Fairlane Hudson's some years ago. Many folks I worked with came from the downtown store when it closed and told me the same thing. Shrinkage was a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    Macy's at Eastland is a joke. Eastland itself is a joke, Hell, Detroit is a joke
    Nice try... but Eastland is in Harper Woods...

I see more stand alone dept stores being built, with other stores such as Target within walking a wave of the future. It has seemed to work in Canton.

My sister managed a cosmetics counter at the Lakeside Marshall Fields right before it turned over to Macys. This is a few years ago. Even back then there was discussion at staff meetings about how Eastland would probably close in the near future because performance-wise it was horrible. It takes huge losses from theft and it doesn't have the customer based [[numbers) it used to.

I live in Grosse Pointe and shop there, and it is true I am usually one of the only white people there besides staff, but I really don't think it is because white people don't want to shop with black people. If that were the case, people in Grosse Pointe would not shop anywhere local- the retail around Grosse Pointe, especially the grocery stores, are frequented by large numbers of Detroiters. The people I know don't shop at Eastland because they don't like the stock. Most of the fun designers are not available at that location anymore and have been replaced by bad cruise-wear, middle-aged lady wear of the worse kind, or crap that has someone's logo emblazoned across the ass. It is the same reason they don't shop anywhere else in the mall- the stores are just not appealing.

Could some one tell me why professional thieves who could steal anywhere would target inner city stores rather then suburban stores?

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanAlliance View Post
    Could some one tell me why professional thieves who could steal anywhere would target inner city stores rather then suburban stores?
    Could it be that the suburban police departments are more competent and more empowered to actually arrest criminals when they catch them?

Lorax Guest

I remember back as recently as 1997, my mother and I were just walking into the Hudson's men's department entrance off the parking lot, weren't in more than 20 feet or so, and two guys came in behind us, and scooped up an entire rack of Tommy Hilfiger winter coats and ran out to a waiting car and sped off.

Later, we thought about it, and realized that they weren't wired on purpose- probably an inside assoicate who "forgot" to wire them, although they had sensors, and the alarms went off as they were already out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanAlliance View Post
    What inner-city stores are there left for thieves to target?

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    If that were the case, people in Grosse Pointe would not shop anywhere local- the retail around Grosse Pointe, especially the grocery stores, are frequented by large numbers of Detroiters.
    How do you know this?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    How do you know this?
    As someone who lives in Harper Woods, I can tell you that I know this. One of the reasons I think is that there are limited retail options within city limits. One of the reasons I know from taking to Detroiters who shop at [[for example) the Kroger store on Vernier/Harper or Mack near Vernier is that it is simply much safer [[store, parking lot, even the food).

crawford Guest

How do you know this?
    Oh, please. Cut the politically correct BS.

Grosse Pointe was, until very recently, about 99% white.

The East Side of Detroit is easily 90%+ black.

Obviously then, if you frequent Grosse Pointe establishments, and a large proportion of customers are African American, it stands to reason that they are coming from Detroit, rather than, say, Alpena.

Also, anyone who knows Southeast Michigan is well aware that, regardless of race, communities that border Detroit tend to have retail that serves Detroit residents. Examples: Fairlane in Dearborn, Northland in Southfield, Eastland in Harper Woods. None of these malls would even exist if it weren't for Detroit $$$ from Day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Isn't the Macy's at Northland the only one in the region with an in store furniture sales floor? And doesn't it also house the regional offices for Macy's in Michigan? That would explain why it is the largest......

No. Eastland has furniture - I think [[but may be getting them mixed up) Oakland Mall does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that. My husband went to Macy's Eastland looking for a shirt, and he came back frustrated - apparently every shirt in the style he wanted had a huge "Fubu" or "Sean Jean" logo on it. I asked at the handbags counter about Kate Spade purses, and they told me they only stock those at the Somerset store. They had plenty of Burberry and Vuittons, though. I guess you stock what sells, but it does explain the sense of segregation.
    Your husband was looking in the wrong area. The Macys at Eastalnd has apretty solid selection for men including Ralph Lauren and other companies that may fit his demographic better.

i suspect your husband looked in one area and called it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    Solid contribution.

How do you know this?
    Because I live there. And everywhere I shop roughly half the people are black. So unless the demographics of Grosse Pointe have radically changed since the last census count it seems a safe assumption that most of the black shoppers are from someplace else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast