Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I hate to clue you in on things, but people were having children they couldn't afford long before any liberal programs provided money.

As evidenced by Bush and Cheney- the two best excuses for birth control I can think of.

Can something be done to stop these people from procreating?

http://www.people.com/people/article...301647,00.html

Quote: "Can something be done to stop these people from procreating?"

I agree it is crazy. If they have a handle on the situation, more power to them. Strange hobby.

Ravine Guest

Devout, practicing Catholics have been known to just keep on keepin' on, faithful that The Lord Will Provide.

Somehow, other mortals seem to wind up getting roped into the providence.

Then again, the Lord has a sense of humor, especially for backslid Catholics. We had been on track for the textbook life: 2 kids, 1 boy & 1 girl, and I was able to stay home until they were both in school. After a decade of fretting over less-than-reliable birth control, and a spouse who would not get snipped, my 40th birthday present from me to me was scheduling myself a tubal ligation.

Surgery was in September. I conceived in November. 5 days after my 41st b-day, I gave birth to kid #3. So much for doing everythng by the book and trying to stay within budget... sometimesone's life plans are the windshield, and other times, they're the bug. Could we afford 3 kids? Somehow, we did. I surely could not quit my job to stay home with him as I had the other 2, especially since I was the one with insurance. I had to give up a few dreams.... did I resent this? Yes, often. I also got over it.

Ravine Guest

Here's hoping that Child #3 ends up making you very happy, very rich, and very comfortable.
    I figure you're not looking for any of that, but I hope you get it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Yes, this thread has really veered away from the original article. This couple didn't necessarily have children they couldn't afford; but as working parents they still can't get insurance for their kid. That's the point. You can't point fingers at those parents - they're working, they're trying to provide for their child. The only way they've failed, in the neocons' eyes, is not being born wealthy or having "good" jobs with insurance. "Compassionate conservatism," my ass.
    I probably shouldn't have posted that cartoon [[though it IS funny.)
    I waited until I was finished with college and married to have a child. I knew I could afford one child with my spouse or with out. I have worked as a contractor since it became the new rage. That entailing me having to pay for my own healthcare. My spouse was self employed and so I covered all of our healthcare. Upon my spouses unexpected death, I have been able to provide for my child myself. This couple in the article knew they didn't have healthcare coverage when the engaged in the act to conceive a child, they new they were earning wages that barely covered their needs, so what on earth stopped them from spending $5.00 for condoms. Their irresponsible, selfish attitudes or their dependent personalities caused them to go forth with the irresponsible act because they knew the government provides assistance.

According to sociologists over 70% of African American females are making babies over 20 minutes causing their hopes and dreams for a productive life to become narrower. Most of the babies they make are African American males leading them to life without a father and difficult times ahead.

Quote: "According to sociologists over 70% of African American females are making babies over 20 minutes causing their hopes and dreams for a productive life to become narrower."

My calculator is smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    According to sociologists over 70% of African American females are making babies over 20 minutes causing their hopes and dreams for a productive life to become narrower. Most of the babies they make are African American males leading them to life without a father and difficult times ahead.
    Why didn't you provide the stats for European White females? I stress European because no white people come from American.

so what on earth stopped them from spending $5.00 for condoms.
    Maybe they did, condoms can break. [[Or something else can fail as in Cornbot's story above.) For the most part I agree with you, but we can't judge people too harshly when we don't know the whole story.

According to which sociologists?

Such a bold statement requires some kind of backup reference to be taken seriously. Otherwise, it sounds like stereotypical tripe.

And is the follow-on statement "causing their hopes and dreams for a productive life to become narrower." a statement by the unnamed sociologists, or did you just attach your own opinion as if the sociologists said it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Maybe they did, condoms can break. [[Or something else can fail as in Cornbot's story above.) For the most part I agree with you, but we can't judge people too harshly when we don't know the whole story.
    It also doesn't say in the story, but it's possible they were doing better financially at the time she got pregnant.
    Making an analogy about buying houses you can't afford is ridiculous - you can't just leave a kid on the sidewalk and walk away. How loud would the "compassionate conservatives" scream if child abandonment became the answer for low-income parents without insurance?

I say lock 'em up for defrauding the public, sucking at the public tit.

Throw 'em in jail for criminal irresponsibility and sterilize 'em so they can't do it again.Take the kid and raise it as a ward of the state. When it's old enough, put it in the army for life.

That'll teach 'em.

Clearly, it's the fault of the children and they should be punished.

Answer the question using your best logic/reasoning rather than ludicrous remarks.

No great amount of logic/reasoning needed.
    Okham's Razor explains it succinctly:
    A) They're stupid.
    B) They're foolish.
    C) They're both stupid and foolish.
    End of list.
    Last edited by elganned; October-14-09 at 02:01 PM.

ccbatson Guest

The children are, of course, innocent. To a large extent, so are the single teenage parents....the deceptive governmental benefactors are at fault.

Solution? Grandfather existing recipients, and phase out the isuance of new benefits.

You are such a liar. The father in the story is 24 [[not a teenageer).

And this debate isn't about teenagers or the government. It is about adults who should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    The children are, of course, innocent. To a large extent, so are the single teenage parents....the deceptive governmental benefactors are at fault.

Solution? Grandfather existing recipients, and phase out the isuance of new benefits.

ccbatson Guest

Sorry you misunderstand, I was speaking in more general terms...not about one instance, but about all instances.

Teenage pregancy is a totally different subject. Obviously, children should not be having kids. This is about ADULTS that choose to have children that they can not comfortably provide for.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Sorry you misunderstand, I was speaking in more general terms...not about one instance, but about all instances.

ccbatson Guest

Totally different? Or the same thing different by degree?

I should add one to my Okham's Razor list:

D) It was an accident, and they don't believe in abortion. So now they're stuck, and just have to hope for the best.

[[This option doesn't apply to the couple in the article; it is included only for completeness.)

ccbatson Guest

Correct [[item D)...hoping for the best might include adoption btw.

Also, ejames01, you should understand that Cc never speaks to the specific instance; he only uses it as a springboard to launch into a polemic about a Universal Principle or "axiom" from the Book of Rand. Much easier to talk in the abstract than to actually address the question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast