I'm a long-time forumer who left Detroit 5 years ago when I was laid off from DPS. I'll be graduating from Michigan in a few short months. I cannot believe I'm nearly finished up here.

By some miracle from on high, there are actually a few jobs in my field here in SE Michigan. [[More information than that, I cannot give. Just know that it is a miracle.) I thought it was all over when I was laid off and that I'd never be able to live and work in the city again. I thought I'd be yet another Detroit expat. That may not be the case... I may not even be interviewed... we'll see what happens, but my field is mega specialized, my credentials are top-notch and watertight, to the point where I can gauge who else might be out there.

This has thrown me such a curve ball until I'm not sure where to go next from here. I've spent the past 4-5 years licking my wounds from my DPS stint, longing for 2000-2004 when I lived in Midtown, and mentally preparing myself to leave everything I've ever known. Now, if I am lucky and blessed, I might not have to. I might just be able to get back into the ring for Round Two.

I debated about whether to post about this here... because I know how you guys ARE... especially at this early stage. I freely admit that I am counting chickens, and I do have applications making their way all over the country just in case. But I find myself thinking about the programs I could start, the grants I could apply for, the folks in the community I could hire... and the places I could live... Midtown, Corktown, EEV. I could afford to buy a home, and take my time to look, maybe commuting from A2 for the first few months. I could plug right back into my networks.

What do you guys think? It's driving me a little nuts to think that this might be a glimmer of hope... and it's taking my heart out of the national job search. My advisors here are extremely supportive of me staying, but I know what some others might say... why gamble on the Michigan economy and potentially getting laid off... again... when you could make a go of it in another state?

But the thought of setting up shop in the Sun Belt or a trendy city is disheartening. I guess you can take the girl out of the 313, but...