Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    dharma4313 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Funny how all three examples of the "Detroit guy" were outsiders to the area.
    My bad. Should have googled Talbert. But what the hay? Half the kids in school were from Missouri or Tennessee [[scrappy bastards), and back then outsiders didn't crap on Detroit, they stampeded all over each other just to get here.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Green Zones RULE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I have a suspicion that most of the posters on this thread are residing either in the downtown high rent area or in other areas of Detroit that don't seem to have problems. Would someone be honest enough to post here and tell us that they live in the 7 Mile and Hayes area...6 Mile and Gratiot area...Cadillac and Mack area....Lakewood and Vernor area [[I would mention the West side but I am not familiar with that area) and be honest enough to tell it like it is?
    Sorry, this is baloney. This whole green zone [[as in Downtown and other areas are not really Detroit, they are safe zones; this has been said a few times by other posters with the same views lately) talk around here is really starting to get to me. First, I will overlook the poor attempt at comparing my home to a war zone. Now, if you told me this as a campus student, or a young hipster or single Downtown professional, maybe this would hold water, as we wouldn't have to leave a whole lot for everyday life. However, it's a whole different game once you get married and have kids.

You really are forgetting how little these so called green zones have to offer. My daughter still goes to the same doctors, hospitals, and dentists as the rest of Detroiters. My wife shops at the same grocery and hardware stores as the rest of you. Meanwhile, my work takes me into the outer neighborhoods every day. How often do you visit all these places you mention? Because I do it daily.

As to living Downtown and schools, I am not 150% sure of what to do about my daughter's schooling yet [[I have several options), but I really don't care if my chosen option is viewed as "fake ass", as one of the above posters so maturely and eloquently put it. I am in an interesting place in my life. Generally, some people I know on Seven Mile and Wyoming view Downtown as an upper income area, while another person I know on Seven Mile and Haggerty calls it the rich area of the ghetto.

With people openly criticizing my chosen lifestyle, I probably shouldn't expect to win a popularity contest anytime soon. I really don't give a !#$%. This is our chosen lifestyle because we wanted something and decided to work for it, here, in Michigan.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; November-27-09 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Grammar and Spelling

dharma4313 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I haven't figured out what to do about my daughter's schooling yet, but I really don't care if my chosen option is viewed as "fake ass", as one of the above posters so maturity and eloquently put it. I am in an interesting place in my life.
    Permit me to continue waxing eloquent and mature. What's the formula here? Move downtown and send your kid to private school? People have gone to hell for less, and believe-you-me, if I lived downtown, I'd be sending my kid to private school too, and I'd be asking you for tips. Ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times". If you want to hammer stakes in the ground, downtown, and send the kid to private school, you have no beef with me.

Stosh Guest

Whooo here it comes....

While we are waiting, let's have a musical interlude, the words are appropriate

DetroitDad Guest

You're right Stosh, it's time to go to work for Detroit... and my family, I think.

DetroitDad Guest

Whooo here it comes....

While we are waiting, let's have a musical interlude, the words are appropriate
    By the way, it wasn't all about me. I'm not sure if you guys are aware that several of the buildings in Downtown Detroit have events or activities for children now, two built playgrounds, and I believe every building in the CBD has at least one or more families with young children. I am not sure if you were aware.

Stosh Guest

By the way, it wasn't all about me. I'm not sure if you guys are aware that several of the buildings in Downtown Detroit have events or activities for children now, two built playgrounds, and I believe every building in the CBD has at least one or more families with young children. I am not sure if you were aware.
    What buildings have playgrounds? Activities? And EVERY building has a child in it? Wow...

DetroitDad Guest

What buildings have playgrounds? Activities? And EVERY building has a child in it? Wow...
    Last edited by DetroitDad; November-28-09 at 02:29 AM.

Stosh Guest

Ha-Ha. You made a funny. And didn't answer the original statement, either.

More Detroit positives...

- Nice families who previously couldn't afford a home are able to purchase homes for bargain prices. A nice family moved into the house two doors down from my dad this past Spring that had previously been boarded up [[in the Hayes & Seven Mile area).

- There a number of community service programs in Detroit that provide services for a variety of needs. For instance, I worked with Franklin Wright Settlements to get the leaves of a handicapped senior citizen raked for free.

- There is a beautiful, well-lit, viable commercial plaza at the corner of Mack & Alter Rd. -- no graffiti, no loitering, fine service at the Rite-Aid, Aldi, Family Dollar, America's Best and Chicken Shack...

A suspected carjacker caught on the same night as the carjacking by DETROIT police? The police actually responded to a call in a timely manner where no shots were fired, no one was bleeding and found the car and the susupect? Now that's gotta be good news to anybody!

http://www.freep.com/article/2009112...ews01/91124033

DetroitDad Guest

Ha-Ha. You made a funny. And didn't answer the original statement, either.
    Yeah... how about that?

Stosh Guest

Yeah... how about that?
    Typical. Can't back up what you say. As usual. A manure truck full of....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3