Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    2blocksaway Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post

I didn't give Detroit up....Detroit gave up on itself. Detroit allowed this decline to happen because they allowed corruption, drug dealers, gangs and kids with no fathers to run rampant. Detroiters of today want to have things their way or no way. They don't want help from me or any of the "suburbanites". How can anyone blame others who don't live in Detroit any longer for how it has turned out? Isn't it time that Detroiters take responsibility for their own actions and turn the City around themselves?
    Best. D.Y. Paragraph. Ever. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    Ah yes, the ol' life was better when negroes were segregated argument. Maybe we should start shifting the blame of Detroit's slide from Coleman Young to Ossian Sweet.
    Wow, I didn't read ANYTHING like that in the post. Your determination to make this a racial issue is telling in and of itself.

The family that bought my grandparents' house east of the Packard plant kept it up beautifully. I believe it's still in their family, and though the neighborhood is horrible, their particular street looks pretty good and the house looks painted and pretty.

Trash comes in many colors, Dave. It's the trashy people that have no pride in ownership, or even where they rent that make neighborhoods turn south.

This is one reason why there are Homeowner Associations, now, that can take your house away if you paint your door the wrong color, not to mention keeping that rusted, fenderless Plymouth on your front lawn.

There was no determination to read anything in these posts. I based my comments on what I read--and also what Maxine1958 had posted previously.

Of course "trash" comes in all colors. So does neighborhood pride. But it's easy to turn this into "Detroit" residents versus "suburnanites".

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    There was no determination to read anything in these posts. I based my comments on what I read--and also what Maxine1958 had posted previously.

Of course "trash" comes in all colors. So does neighborhood pride. But it's easy to turn this into "Detroit" residents versus "suburnanites".

Wait, what? What did I say about about race? I said I didn't understand the 'white flight' concept for bashing the city. We had families of both colors in our neighborhood before and after. And the 'trashed' houses were occupied by both colors also. Don't drag my name down that path. That's not what I said.

wow this thread dosnt seem to be going in the right direction..... ok ive got something. i want to recap my Detroit good times from this summer.

My girlfriend and i visited Belle Isle and the Conservatory, it was free.. and a good time, i got lots of photo.. Detroit has got a great park island,.
    We also checked out the new Dequindre cut... once this is all done the connection between Eastern Market and the Riverwalk will be great... i dig that project.
    We went to Eastern Market for the first time this summer and even though it was pouring rain and it was busy and we had a great pizza... im not sure what the little pizzeria was called but we both loved it!
    Two times this summer we went to Dakota Inn. great authentic German food and live music. What a Gem!!!
    A few Tigers games, Greektown and Layfette Coney Island.. mmmmm
    We went to Mexican Town and then saw a concert at the Filmore.. that was a great time.. The Filmore is one of the gerorgous theaters of Detroit.
    Michigan Central Station, though some people will protest, we took a 'self guided tour' of the place and took some great photos. Detroit is a wonderland for photographers and urban explores.
    Slow's..... i can't count how many times.
    Took a few drives... saw Indian Village, Bosten - Edison, checked out the Fisher and Guardian Buildings... wow!

ok so there are good things in Detorit... Thats just my Windorite perspective
    Last edited by windsor_shane; October-16-09 at 11:47 PM.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by windsor_shane View Post
    wow this thread dosnt seem to be going in the right direction..... ok ive got something. i want to recap my Detroit good times from this summer.

My girlfriend and i visited Belle Isle and the Conservatory, it was free.. and a good time, i got lots of photo.. Detroit has got a great park island,.
    We also checked out the new Dequindre cut... once this is all done the connection between Eastern Market and the Riverwalk will be great... i dig that project.
    We went to Eastern Market for the first time this summer and even though it was pouring rain and it was busy and we had a great pizza... im not sure what the little pizzeria was called but we both loved it!
    Two times this summer we went to Dakota Inn. great authentic German food and live music. What a Gem!!!
    A few Tigers games, Greektown and Layfette Coney Island.. mmmmm
    We went to Mexican Town and then saw a concert at the Filmore.. that was a great time.. The Filmore is one of the gerorgous theaters of Detroit.
    Michigan Central Station, though some people will protest, we took a 'self guided tour' of the place and took some great photos. Detroit is a wonderland for photographers and urban explores.
    Slow's..... i can't count how many times.
    Took a few drives... saw Indian Village, Bosten - Edison, checked out the Fisher and Guardian Buildings... wow!

ok so there are good things in Detorit... Thats just my Windorite perspective
    Visit some neighborhoods in the 7 Mile and Hayes area. Check out Chalmers, Jefferson, Lakewood, Newport, Coplin, 6 Mile and Gratiot. Write back after driving through those areas and let me know what you think of Detroit. Downtown may be nice but the neighborhoods are forgotten.

EastSider Guest

Visit some neighborhoods in the 7 Mile and Hayes area. Check out Chalmers, Jefferson, Lakewood, Newport, Coplin, 6 Mile and Gratiot. Write back after driving through those areas and let me know what you think of Detroit. Downtown may be nice but the neighborhoods are forgotten.
    What, no love for Chene & Ferry? How about Vernor & Lenox/Dickerson?

i am well aware of the devastation in Detroit, as an amateur photographer i have taken many self guided tours though the unfortunate neighborhoods... i thought this thread we were focusing in the GOOD
    Last edited by windsor_shane; October-17-09 at 06:25 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

I didn't give Detroit up....Detroit gave up on itself. Detroit allowed this decline to happen because they allowed corruption, drug dealers, gangs and kids with no fathers to run rampant. Detroiters of today want to have things their way or no way. They don't want help from me or any of the "suburbanites". How can anyone blame others who don't live in Detroit any longer for how it has turned out? Isn't it time that Detroiters take responsibility for their own actions and turn the City around themselves?
    Who is Detroit?

Retroit Guest

I affirm to remain positive about the positive and negative about the negative!

For alsodave's information, many blacks are just as upset about what has happened in Detroit as whites are. Many of them are also leaving. Is it racist when good black people don't want to live near bad black people? Your assumption that a reference to a bad neighbor is an indication of their skin color reveals a racist tendency on your part. Good people don't want to live near bad people regardless of color.

Thanks for the information, Retroit, but it's something that I'm already aware of.

Of course good people want to live around other good people, regardless of color. I live, work and shop in areas that are populated by all kinds of good people, regardless of color. There's even a few not so good people around those places, again regardless of color.

Make all of the assumptions you want about me, but I stand by my post.

DetroitDad Guest

The Holiday Festivities!

All those people joined together, just enjoying what Detroit has to offer.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    The Holiday Festivities!

All those people joined together, just enjoying what Detroit has to offer.
    All the black Santas holding hands with all the white Santas.

detroitchef Guest

OH I get it, the only thing worth photographing is the ruins!

Lifting Detroit Up Today and Everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    I get so tired of all the negative conversations, stories, rumors, lies, half-truths, articles and even threads about "our" city. Like it needs more of that!

What can we say today about Detroit that is positive and uplifting.

Today I affirm that people CARE about this city and the metro detroit area!
    Buy American, if you can't find anything GOOD to say, why are you continually commenting on this thread?

Here's my contribution:

- My neighbors who I barely know...offered me the use of their snow blower, called me to tell me that my garage door was open, called me to tell me to be on alert because some suspicious person came to their door and to be careful.

- I was assisted last week by a very helpful City of Detroit employee who obviously cared about and took pride in her job.

- ThinkDetroit/PAL runs a great girls basketball program and the parents are very civil and supportive of their children.

- The Tree Lighting Celebration was beautiful and criminally uneventful.

- There is a beautiful world-class spa located right on Woodward in the heart of downtown...

I could say more, but I'll stop for now.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    Lifting Detroit Up Today and Everyday

Buy American, if you can't find anything GOOD to say, why are you continually commenting on this thread?

Here's my contribution:

- My neighbors who I barely know...offered me the use of their snow blower, called me to tell me that my garage door was open, called me to tell me to be on alert because some suspicious person came to their door and to be careful.

- I was assisted last week by a very helpful City of Detroit employee who obviously cared about and took pride in her job.

- ThinkDetroit/PAL runs a great girls basketball program and the parents are very civil and supportive of their children.

- The Tree Lighting Celebration was beautiful and criminally uneventful.

- There is a beautiful world-class spa located right on Woodward in the heart of downtown...

I could say more, but I'll stop for now.
    Sorry if my being realistic bothers you. About 30 years ago, your contribution could have been my contribution....unfortunately that changed. Like I said previously, Detroit is my hometown but I don't like what it's become.

Sorry if my being realistic bothers you. About 30 years ago, your contribution could have been my contribution....unfortunately that changed. Like I said previously, Detroit is my hometown but I don't like what it's become.
    I don't have a problem with realism. My post was just as "real" as yours -- and mine is not from 30 year ago. Its all from this year -- 2009. My question was why would you comment on THIS thread which is about saying positive things if you don't have anything positive and uplifting to say? No one here is deluded enough to believe that Detroit does not have serious ills. There are hundreds of other threads where you can promulgate your loathing and negativity. A thread where folks can discuss what DOES work in Detroit in 2009 and why should not be "thread-jacked" and derailed.

Does happiness and levity really threaten your view of reality so much? I do appreciate your contributions on other threads sometimes, but please allow those who just want to see nice things on THIS thread about the Detroit of 2009 and beyond to do that without the all too-common DetroitNo! attitude.
    Last edited by mam2009; November-25-09 at 11:31 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

I feel the same way about suburbia.

It's pretty telling when I, and many others are choosing to start their families in Downtown Detroit instead of it's suburbs, even with all the things they claim to offer. Sadly [[as a Detroit city and inner suburb supporter) it is even more telling that many of our other young people are picking up and starting their families out of state.

As much as both urbanites and suburbanites like to think their pooh don't stink, it seems like we all must be doing something extremely wrong in both places.

PS Edit; But I am not sure why you chose to post negative views on Detroit in a thread in which the topic was about positive things happening in Detroit. Generally, the common view that things around here have been bad or have been getting worse is why we needed such a moral boost as this thread. I'm not sure why are trying to hold Detroit down...
    Last edited by DetroitDad; November-26-09 at 10:37 PM. Reason: PS

dharma4313 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I feel the same way about suburbia.
    There's suburbia, and then there's "suburbia". I grew up near Five Mile and Bradner [[Northville Township), and rode my bike down a dirt road to Farm Crest on Six Mile, bought ice-cream cones, visited the actual cows who made the milk right there in the barns. Today the whole place is an horizon-to-horizon ocean of McMansions, TGIF's, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback Steakhouses, etc. In other words, the suck factor went way, way, up. But is living downtown a realistic alternative? Are your kids going to private school, Catholic school? The suburbs in many areas suck because of the plastic, franchised disconnect with any "sense of place, sense of history", but we still have to consider what kind of childhood our children will have. If I move downtown and send my children to private school, that seems so fake-ass. And I sure as heck won't send them to public school. So far what we have here is called a "non-starter".

Windsor Shane, amongst all the negative posts on a post thats trying to balance some positives, it was a good read,, Actually , I am a Detroit resident,. live in Lafayette Park and can relate to your positive experiences. There is no doubt a ton of negatives, crime , bad areas, etc.. but life in Detroit can show balance in certain areas. and no, it most certainly isnt the city it was 40 years ago..but, it isnt a total write off by any means either. When I run along the river front in the morning, or walk through downtown for dinner, sporting events, or jump on the Dequindre Cut over to the market on Saturday morning and talk with neighbors on the way back I have a hard time swallowing these comments that nothing good ever happens in Detroit. It does, albeit in only in some areas, but nevertheless there is a decent life for some of us here and our story needs to be told also.. When I visit other cities I vist, [[ or have lived) friends are always concentrating on living in certain areas of their city, and certainly not in other areas. They view that as part of life. We have alot of work to do here in Detroit and , yes, its up to many of us here to do our best to improve it.. and ,, there are a ton of us who do, For some reason some on here continuously want to negate that. We most certainly have some very real obstacles. but there is group of us here who are trying very hard to contribute. so please dont discount that folks.

Buy American Guest

When it comes to Detroit and its' resurgence, while some choose to look at it through rose colored glasses, others need to look at its' problems headon and do their best to fix them. I don't see that happening yet. What are you doing to change things in Detroit? I tried, as did many of my friends and co-workers. I spoke at school board meetings, I wrote letters to council members, I started a neighborhood watch, I petitioned for a street light on my block. Also, I served the City of Detroit. During a time when City workers were forced to live in Detroit, I had no problem with that. However, there comes a time when your family and their health and welfare are first and foremost. Even back then, my children had to attend a private school because DPS was so dangerous and corrupt.

I have a suspicion that most of the posters on this thread are residing either in the downtown high rent area or in other areas of Detroit that don't seem to have problems. Would someone be honest enough to post here and tell us that they live in the 7 Mile and Hayes area...6 Mile and Gratiot area...Cadillac and Mack area....Lakewood and Vernor area [[I would mention the West side but I am not familiar with that area) and be honest enough to tell it like it is?

Also, although some of my posts have been directed at thugs, drug dealers and gang members, most of my posts have not been directed at the taxpayers in Detroit...my posts have been directed at the corrupt politicians and corrupt movers and shakers in Detroit who have been/are taking advantage of the Detroit taxpayers every single day. I am amazed that there doesn't seem to be any outrage over that.
    Last edited by Buy American; November-27-09 at 12:41 PM.

dharma4313 Guest

OK, having defended the suburbs and suburbia from another gratuitous, cliched attack, let's focus on the positive about Detroit. And it's all here, "hidden in plain sight". This very website. Who comes here? People who care, that's who. This is where anyone can be Mike Royko, Pete Hamill, Jimmy Breslin [[who's the Detroit guy? Maybe Bob Talbert, sometimes as sappy-ass as Mitch Albom, but at least there's roots. Maybe Charlie LeDuff?). What's positive about Detroit? You're looking at it.

Buy American Guest

"but at least there's roots."

Since my roots are in Detroit, that's why I'm here as well.

DetroitDad Guest

There is problems in suburbia, more than you are acknowledging, but we had a separate thread for that. Sometimes I think that parents in Michigan suburbs are committing child abuse, and don't care about their children, or providing the human habitat that would be best for their children. Then I realize that I have a daughter and live in Downtown Detroit.

Point taken.

It's like I'm back at the polls again, choosing between the lesser of evils.

I think Buy American is right, it's time to get to work.

The problem for me is, I do what I can, but I was in a situation where I had to help myself before I could help anyone or anything else. I learned pretty early on that this city is full of rickshaws trying desperately to pull other rickshaws. In the time I've been here we've had posters try to put together various projects to clean up parks or to start businesses, and only a few actually happened, or they happened and then immediately failed. There are reasons that Wiggle Field is still a mess, a certain Woodward Avenue high rise still looks unfinished, our Brush park grocery center sits empty, one of our big Downtown coffee shops is never open, and the list goes on and on. Plenty of rose colored failures can be seen when we take off our rose colored glasses, and see what is dispersed amongst all the successes.

But, we all have been giving it a Hell of a go, haven't we? I think the successes might have, you know, been the failures that kept it up with that amount of fury. Maybe the rest of us will eventually be there too if we keep it up. They say failure is, after all, often a choice.

Then again, I also think most of us are fighting the wrong things. We have to look past the problems and see the solutions. Then again, I think that is really a discussion for another time.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; November-27-09 at 06:39 PM.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dharma4313 View Post
    OK, having defended the suburbs and suburbia from another gratuitous, cliched attack, let's focus on the positive about Detroit. And it's all here, "hidden in plain sight". This very website. Who comes here? People who care, that's who. This is where anyone can be Mike Royko, Pete Hamill, Jimmy Breslin [[who's the Detroit guy? Maybe Bob Talbert, sometimes as sappy-ass as Mitch Albom, but at least there's roots. Maybe Charlie LeDuff?). What's positive about Detroit? You're looking at it.
    Funny how all three examples of the "Detroit guy" were outsiders to the area.

It's important to recognize the distinction. And how people rail on about "outsiders" is destroying the city.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast