Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

98.7fm is calling itself AMP Radio...

like a former DJ, former station engineer friend of mine [[we both worked at 97 KROY in sacramento when Trudi Daniels was out there) has said many times...

"radio sucks and everyone except those in radio know it"

and i agree. i used to have in depth conversations with the station manager at the college radio station about how corporate greed and ignorance was ruining radio. this was in 1982-1986...

Ravine Guest

Mallory posted:
    "Because, according to Mr. Kepler, smooth jazz listeners do not like the flute."
    I figure that Kepler's statement is probably true. As far as I can tell, a big part of the deal with the "smooth jazz" concept is that the categorization of certain records as "jazz" is based not on the musical approach, but on the instrumentation.
    So, [[countless hacks bleating through a soprano sax)+[[tiresome, horribly cliche reverb effect)="jazz," while flute, I'm supposing, is perceived as being only a half-step away from "classical."
    Again, I stress that I mean no disrespect to the folks who enjoy "smooth jazz." I just happen to hear it as being "pop" music, and I don't mean to be terribly derogatory, with that statement; I like "pop" music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Mallory posted:
    "Because, according to Mr. Kepler, smooth jazz listeners do not like the flute."
    I figure that Kepler's statement is probably true. As far as I can tell, a big part of the deal with the "smooth jazz" concept is that the categorization of certain records as "jazz" is based not on the musical approach, but on the instrumentation.
    So, [[countless hacks bleating through a soprano sax)+[[tiresome, horribly cliche reverb effect)="jazz," while flute, I'm supposing, is perceived as being only a half-step away from "classical."
    Again, I stress that I mean no disrespect to the folks who enjoy "smooth jazz." I just happen to hear it as being "pop" music, and I don't mean to be terribly derogatory, with that statement; I like "pop" music.
    Bobbi Humphrey sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    "radio sucks and everyone except those in radio know it"

and i agree. i used to have in depth conversations with the station manager at the college radio station about how corporate greed and ignorance was ruining radio. this was in 1982-1986...

Veering off the Jazz angle for a minute. I can remember listening to FM radio all night and never hearing a commercial. Back then, they'd put an album [[remember those?) on and let it play through. The only sound you heard was the DJ flipping the album over to start the other side. No blather, no hype, no talk, sometimes not even a station ID for hours.

Mallory posted:
    Well, there was Jean Luc Ponty.

As for other non-traditional Jazz instruments, think Noel Pointer [[violin).
    Last edited by Meddle; October-09-09 at 05:10 AM.

And the reason that you perceive it as "pop" is because of the aforementioned Allen Kepler and his consultancy dumbing down the genre to whatever THEY dictate as smooth jazz. Until I listened to them, I didn't know that the Spinners, Temptations, or Alciia Keyes were smooth jazz acts. It's because THEY say so.

There are some great artists right now, several of whom double as DJ's for this consultancy, who are actually being screwed by the consultancy. The more the format is dumbed down, the more stations around the country start to drop the format, hence, less exposure for their music. Ridiculous business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Well, there was Jean Luc Ponty.

As for other non-traditional Jazz instruments, think Noel Pointer [[violin).
    Two of my favs

Now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I was thinking of Jean Pierre Rampal on the flute. Ponty was violin too, right?

Brass goes into a whole different group including Gillespie, Severinsen and so many others.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Two of my favs

I second that, Jean Luc Ponty was great, wonder if he's still playing that violin?

Jean-Luc can play, for sure. I remember hearing Stephane Grappelly at the Pontch, and he joked about the blue electric violin he'd received from JLP as a gift - he was afraid JLP was trying to electricute him. I could not imagine Stephane playing an electric violin.

Ravine, my man, I love your "formula" for Smooth Jazz. Smooth Jazz is one of those hot button topics among jazz people. I can't use it, the rhythm doesn't work for me, but KennyG [[who is NOT related to my screen name) can play. It's just WHAT he plays with that talent...

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    You can thank Broadcast Architecture and its president, Allen Kepler for the destruction of the smooth jazz format. Broadcast Architecture is an overpriced consultancy who claims to be the be-all when it comes to smooth jazz. According to Mr. Kepler, he pretty much invented the format, except for the name "smooth jazz." He has these stations playing a mixture of pop vocals and smooth jazz, and if he doesn't like it, it doesn't get played. Only HE knows what is and is not smooth jazz. Case in point, NONE of his stations were alllowed to play Alexander Zonjik, except for V 98.7. Because, according to Mr. Kepler, smooth jazz listeners do not like the flute. But you can bet that the few stations left in his care play "Just My Imagination" by the Temptations incessantly. Why? Because HE says it belongs in the format. We all know it doesn't but HE says so, so there!

Many cities across the country have had to part with their smooth jazz stations, including Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, and ALL consulted by this joke of a company.

Your best solution is to check out smoothjazznow.com. It plays such a great variety of what smooth jazz should be, without a ton of pop vocals. It is programmed by a guy who fired Broadcast Architecture when he took over a station many years ago. Can't get it in your car [[yet), but online, it is a breath of fresh air.
    Mallory, I see your point. Sometimes I would hear Regina Carter [[Cass Tech alum) on the smooth jazz station on sirius, but I would never hear her on 98.7
    and you would think they would give a Detroiter some play. I guess because she is a jazz violinist Mr. Kepler figured no one would want to listen.

Ravine Guest

Mallory, despite your sporting attempt to explain, to me, the reason for my perception, I'm going to do a better job of explaining it. Here goes:

Any time I hear music that is referred to as "smooth jazz," I hear music that does not sound like jazz, to me; it sounds like pop.

The term "smooth jazz" implies a sort of wrinkle-free jazz, jazz which does not have any rough edges. Wrinkles and rough edges are part of what jazz, in my view, is all about.

It isn't all about Kepler and his machinations. Many folks just, mistakenly, associate certain instruments with "jazz." If they enjoy soft, dreamy-landscaped tunes played on those instruments, they will say that they like jazz, even if the music is less adventurous than the unwrapping of a Clark bar. For the same reason, if I was to drive by them with John McLaughlin's electric guitar solo from "The Noonward Race" ripping through my car speakers, they might not know what to call it, but I don't believe that they would regard it as jazz.

I think a lot of people just want to get into that which was once called "easy listening," and that's fine; in fact, some really good jazz makes for some really easy listening. Coltrane's "Naima," anyone?

The thing is, if the music was produced with "easy listening" in mind, as a goal, then I am forced to conclude that the intention was to produce something easily accessible to the general public... And, to me, that spells P-O-P.

A lot of people would call Noel Pointer 'smooth jazz' but I certainly wouldn't call it Pop.

Where does Chuck Mangione fit in? Herb Alpert?

Is Al Hirt more 'jazz' than Doc Severinson?

Mallory, despite your sporting attempt to explain, to me, the reason for my perception, I'm going to do a better job of explaining it. Here goes:

Any time I hear music that is referred to as "smooth jazz," I hear music that does not sound like jazz, to me; it sounds like pop.

The term "smooth jazz" implies a sort of wrinkle-free jazz, jazz which does not have any rough edges. Wrinkles and rough edges are part of what jazz, in my view, is all about.

It isn't all about Kepler and his machinations. Many folks just, mistakenly, associate certain instruments with "jazz." If they enjoy soft, dreamy-landscaped tunes played on those instruments, they will say that they like jazz, even if the music is less adventurous than the unwrapping of a Clark bar. For the same reason, if I was to drive by them with John McLaughlin's electric guitar solo from "The Noonward Race" ripping through my car speakers, they might not know what to call it, but I don't believe that they would regard it as jazz.

I think a lot of people just want to get into that which was once called "easy listening," and that's fine; in fact, some really good jazz makes for some really easy listening. Coltrane's "Naima," anyone?

The thing is, if the music was produced with "easy listening" in mind, as a goal, then I am forced to conclude that the intention was to produce something easily accessible to the general public... And, to me, that spells P-O-P.
    Nice perspective Ravine, my music loving compadre . Music can be a visceral experience.

You inspired me to play "Floating Point". John is certainly one of my favs. Heck, I have a lot of favs!

I have this weird tendency to associate music with whatever is going on in my life. Admittedly an emotional exercise, from a guy who is definitely not overly emotional. Spyro Gyra [[don't laugh) and JLP both invoke memories of my carefree bachelor days . Same with Michael Franks.

Parliament recalls my exuberant, super-duper heavy partying days. Chic, the dancing days. Disco days when I truly learned not to be homophobic, for example. That is why I hold an appreciation for certain genres - for what I learned or experienced during the time. It works for me.

That said, and I'm no purist, I also seek variety. Smooth jazz serves a purpose for me - easy listening while solving some technical issue. I virtually listen to music whenever I can while working and uninterrupted by questions etc...

Now Miles, for example, involves more of me in the experience. "Deep", as they say. And "deep" does not serve well in a community activity like the work environment. So many opinions etc... Get it?
    Last edited by vetalalumni; October-10-09 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spyra gyra s-b spyro gyra :)

Once thing that has not been mentioned is how these moves are going to drive people to purchase HD radios. I have been looking into purchasing one, its seems that HD radio is giving you lots of choices and the sticker price for the radios doesn't seem to be that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A lot of people would call Noel Pointer 'smooth jazz' but I certainly wouldn't call it Pop.
    Noel Pointer's "All My Reasons" is a rare prized LP.

Ravine Guest

What the hell does having, or not having, an HD radio have to do with this?

The smooth jazz format of 98.7 FM is continuing, at least for now, on one of the station's HD subchannels.

What the hell does having, or not having, an HD radio have to do with this?
    Ravine, you are a humorous fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I second that, Jean Luc Ponty was great, wonder if he's still playing that violin?
    JLP site --> http://www.ponty.com/index.php?section=concert_dates

JLP toured mostly Europe so far this year. Couple of upcoming dates:

Anthology is a very nice venue.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Once thing that has not been mentioned is how these moves are going to drive people to purchase HD radios. I have been looking into purchasing one, its seems that HD radio is giving you lots of choices and the sticker price for the radios doesn't seem to be that bad
    Buying an HD radio for ONE station does not make much sense to me. Plus, eventually, they'll pull the HD smooth jazz station and say that no one is listening to it [[though they won't admit that no one listens because no one has an HD nor wants one). Thank goodness for the invention of the mp3 player. Anyone for "Popsicle Toes" by Michael Franks? Mr. Kepler's stations won't play it, but my iPod sure does.

Ravine Guest

Seems like Michael Franks would fit right into a Keplerian playlist.

Smooth Jazz=Elevator music for a new generation. 1958: Montovani 1998: David Sanborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimg View Post
    Jean-Luc can play, for sure. I remember hearing Stephane Grappelly at the Pontch, and he joked about the blue electric violin he'd received from JLP as a gift - he was afraid JLP was trying to electricute him. I could not imagine Stephane playing an electric violin.
    That imagery made me chuckle a bit. Not my favorite work by JLP [[I have the first 5 tracks from the "Jazz Violin Summit"). You can acquire tracks from the "Jazz Violin Summit" for .99 cents each at Amazon --> http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Violin-Su.../dp/B00002DDOL
    Last edited by vetalalumni; October-15-09 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast