Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I can't remember all the shows I saw at the Raven's Gallery. A wonderful venue - intimate and great sound, not to mention the performers. Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee played the Soup while I worked there. I've told this story a few times, but for many years I was hesitant to repeat it because I thought my recollections might be innaccurate. After hearing others confirm it, I felt better because my memory was correct. Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee played together for something like 25 - 35 years. They were an inseparable musical duo, traveling the country and world. Inseparable, unless you mean they were good friends and they communicated. Sonnie and Brownie came to the Soup for their show. I attempted to speak to them together. They'd barely look at each other. They even feigned not hearing me and didn't respond. I was quite perplexed. Finally I discovered the problem - they wouldn't speak to each other, going as far as to not acknowledge the others presence, even on stage. How long did this take place and how did they manage to perform so well and be such an important musical act? Got me. But, I quickly learned to speak to each of their aides and have them speak to the artists. The aides would then return to me to confirm important communications. Sonny and Brownie's shows were always excellent and their fans loved them.

1Kielson brings back memories...I remember seeing Ron Coden at the original Raven Gallery, just off Woodward in Birmingham. This was the mid 60's...Coden was just out of the army at the time. Later, we saw him at the Raven in Southfield. Remember seeing Esser, Bredius and Latimer at the Sheraton Cadillac in the 70's...a dinner theatre production called "Personals". Also saw them perform in a similar type show at Mercy College. Great talent displayed by all artists...wish they were still performing regularly [[although I know Coden is often at O'Mara's on 12 Mile in Berkley).

1KielsonDrive:

"...Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee played the Soup while I worked there..."

Just one of many probable times we have likely met. I saw them at a Soup Kitchen gig one time. Great show.
    I sure miss that place!