Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Tigers will go the playoffs. I can feel it.

Cheddar Bob may actually have to deliver that apology to Lyon. I never in a million years thought I'd say it, but I'm probably most comfortable when he's in the game compared to the rest of our relievers.

cheddar bob Guest

Brandon Lyon's current ERA: 3.63.

He's brought it down significantly. We'll see how it goes in the second half.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    This clearly is a third place team in the Central Division at best.
    Who's clearly a third place team? Minnesota? You must not be talking about Detroit because they have clearly been a first place team since early to mid-may. It's so clear that they have been a first place team that you could even check the standings instead of taking my word for it. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

Wow the Tigs win a Twin Bill. I can't remember the last time that happened/ Plus, Rodney didn't Jones us in the ninth. It's nice to see Guillen back swinging well too.

Three against a sizzling White Sox team so far.

The Verlander gamer was a gem. The Bonine game was a bonus. The Jackson performance deserved better. But when it was all said and done- we took three from the nearest foes. One more game Sunday night on ESPN. I'm hoping Porcello still has some velocity left in that tender arm of his. His last outing he didn't seem so hot but I'm hoping that was just a quirk, but I'm not so sure because he did have plenty of time off during the All-Star break and didn't exactly come back with his heat. The Bonderman news could also be a nice bonus BUT I'd only have him come out of the bullpen. I'm really shocked at how well Guillen is hitting the ball after his short rehabs stint; he's playing like a guy ten years his junior.

I dunno how they're managing it because their hitting has been spotty at best but they seem to have hung onto first place with some tenacity. Who knows how far they can go with this? But compared to the epic fail of last season, I'm going to quietly and silently enjoy the run that we're on now. I have no idea when the wheels will fall off the wagon but why not enjoy the scenery and the fun this team is having now?

Is it me or does this team genuinely seem to want to play together and scrap for one another? After seeing that celebration at home plate and all of the other victories the last few days- this really seems like a bunch of guys out there having fun again.

Now granted last year sucking the gas pipe so badly probably hurt morale a bit but it makes me wonder if some of the bad chemistry has left the team.

OK we were all thrilled when the Boys took 3 of 4 from the White Sox. But its' been downhill since. The Texas Rangers suck! The Tigers have left their bats at home again. They need a kick in the ass quick.

Default Hurry up!

What is Dombrowski waiting for? Until we are 5 games out of first?
    It is a miracle that they are still in first.
    These games are absolutely brutal to watch. No clutch hitting.
    Cabrera only gets a hit when nobody is on base.
    Inge has reverted back to Brandon Inge of old, nice glove-no bat.
    I don't care if he is injured, he still swings at bad pitches.
    The pitching has been OK but the lack of hitting is hurting them.
    Leyland has to be pulling his hair out.
    DD needs to make a move quick before we find ourselves out of the race.

Tigers are playing at their level. They're not really that good, but then again, no other team in the division is very good either. They've got a great shot at taking the Central with maybe 87 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Tigers are playing at their level. They're not really that good, but then again, no other team in the division is very good either. They've got a great shot at taking the Central with maybe 87 wins.

I agree, I have some close friends who are White Sux and Twinkies fans and they have the same complaints about their teams as do we. It's obvious the division as a whole is mediocre at best with all the teams having serious flaws.

Just watch what happens anytime a team in our division plays the east. They get their ass handed to them.

These games are painful to watch, but if the old axiom that pitching and defense wins, I like ours better than either of those two teams. It will be a nail biter right down to the last week.

I don't always agree with Leyland but he's dead on about this, if they are going to contend they have to have the big boys step up, the smoke and mirrors they were doing it with in the first half will not sustain them down the stretch.

Tigs acquire Washburn for French. Not too bad a deal. At least we aren't faced with 2 rookies in our starting rotation going down the stretch

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

While Washburn has been amazing this year, his average ERA over his career is around 4.02, and he'll be a free agent after this year. His best season prior to now was in 2002 with the Angels when he went 18-6 with 3.15 ERA. Last year he was 5-14 and 4.69. I read somewhere that he wants to go back to Seattle via free agency. Still, teams were bound to start figuring out French, and Robles is just a minor prospect. A good deal for the present, but we need a bat to go along with it.

Didn't see this thread, otherwise I'd have posted here instead of above....

The problem with Washburn is that the Tigers have to feel that they can sign him at the end of the year. That's why Seattle traded him. I really don't think the thought of Washburn coming back to Seattle as a free agent ever entered into it.

I think the deal's a wash. From the M's perspective, they trade a 35 year old pitcher they probably couldn't resign.....and why should they, they didn't really get much for the $37.5m, 4 year contract he inked in 2005.....and get a good looking prospect who, at 23 isn't any older than Felix Hernandez. From the Tiger's view, they get a left hander whose been burning up the league for the past 3 months.

White Sox just got Peavy... watch out when he comes off the DL...

11-1 vs thee "Columbus Clippers"

LOL.

Again, LOL.

If this is representative of the team that will win the AL CD, [[best of the worst division in MLB) I would rather not see Tigers fans being embarrassed by the Tigers' anemic offense and increasingly worsening defense on national TV in the postseason.
    Last edited by Flanders; August-02-09 at 05:39 PM.

I am a Tigers fan for life, not a bandwagon fan, watched them when they had the worst record. Honestly though, they need to step it up a lot if they want to go through the post season. Let's face it, we have arguably the worst devision in baseball.

Sorry about my mispell "devision", should be division. I speak better than I type!

Will someone just shove Povano to a team that the Tigers will never ever have to play? G'Lord- he schooled us again AND in a Twins uniform this week. We all know that our hitting has been suspect as of late, but he really exposes us with his variety of pitches. If I were to be a team contending with the Tigers, I'd be viewing the tapes of this game to see just what Carl Povano threw against us. The Twins were pretty savvy in getting him because his record against the other contender, the White Sox is as just impressive as it is against the Tigers.

I hope Kevin Youkilis catches a flesh eating bacteria and dies an agonizing death. That bitch.

lol, he's an asshat, if they made hats that big

Youkilis charges at Rick Porcello... Here's what happened!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaZUWqzzBV8

Default 5-0 Porcello

According to rules from my days as a high school and university wrestler, Porcello wins 5-0.

2 for the take down, 3 for the near pin. If he hadn't been piled on, I think he would have gotten the pin as he was getting ready to slap on a reverse half nelson. I wonder if he was a wrestler. The take down was a classic, let the charging bull get fully leaned forward, drop straight back to get him airborne and then snap twist him his back just before you hit the ground. Great footwork Rick!

Wow. If Verlander isn't looking like Cy Young material today I don't know who is. Great four hitter for our boys to at least walk out of Beantown with one victory. I loved the fact that he was pitching to guys like David Ortiz with 100 MPH heat and then dropping it down to his 79MPH stuff.

We're still doggedly hanging onto first place. Many thanks to the Mariners last night for pulling out a 1-0 victory over the White Sox to keep our fragile lead intact. The White Sox seems like the most potent for jostling with us for the AL Central crown at the moment. For whatever reason, the Twins have been taking the gaspipe pretty badly as of late- no complaints, but it also shows us all how poor the AL Central is too.

Ryan Raburn goes 2 for 4 and they were long balls on top of that? Who'da thunk it? And I was just agog when I saw him batting third but obviously it paid off for Leyland tonight. To think this was the guy crucified last week for the two errors in the 10 inning debacle.

In a game where I thought we had a weak hitting line-up [[weaker than usual!), they pulled it out riding out another Edwin Jackson gem. There were only three players hitting above .270 and they did it. I dunno what Leyland's putting in the drinking water but it's working. Sure sure I know we're in the weakest division in all of baseball but I'm for one enjoying the fact that we keep staying a few games away from the White Sox. Ozzie Guillen must be chewing on rusty nails knowing that he just can't catch up. And the M&M boys in Minnesota have just faded.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast