Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    cheddar bob Guest

Ravine, he doesn't seem to have any late movement on his fastball. They're flat when they get to the plate. I'm wondering if he's using a four seamer more and maybe a two seamer would get some more movement.

Ravine Guest

Cheddar Bob, I'm curious: Do you go to Tiger games frequently? [[Being a totally broke person keeps me at home.)

Before the season began, I felt that if three of our starters could put together decent years, we would have a shot. While the first five games are no measuring stick for much of anything, I am pleased to see three of our starters having good first outings.

I wasn't thinking of Zach Miner when I made the original statement, but what the hell! Go, Zach! The stars have aligned to provide him with one more opportunity to firmly establish his value to the team. I'm pulling for him.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Until we can get a sports mega-thread, here's a tigers thread for the year.

Brandon Lyon is going to be a piece of shit this whole season. I didn't realize the Tigers signed an eight year younger Todd Jones. The less I see him pitching, the better.
    I hope Brandon Lyon is younger version of Todd Jones.

Most Tiger fans don't realize how good Todd Jones was at converting saves. In the last 4 seasons [[2005-2008), Todd Jones had 133 saves out of 153 save opportunities [[87%).

In the last 4 seasons [[2005-2008), Mariano Rivera had 146 saves out of 158 save opportunities [[92%).

Todd Jones was never a dominant, unhittable closer, but he was very effective at converting save opportunities.

Every team in our division has problems. I think the Tigers will be ok this year. They should contend.

cheddar bob Guest

Ravine, I usually go to 5-10 games/year, but I watch almost every game. I'll probably go to 10 games this years because I have a 15 game package, but I live about 60 miles from Comerica so it can be a haul. I went yesterday and what a game to see. Watching Cabrera hit that slam was a great moment. I told the woman that Larrish was going to hit a HR to right in his first AB. I was a little off.

I think Miner will be a serviceable starter to bridge between the more dominant starters, like Robertson was in 2006.

I know Jones was statistically a better closer than people gave him credit for, but it always seemed like a rollercoaster because he was not a strikeout pitcher. I don't necessarily want a closer that pitches to contact because sometimes that contact goes a long way. While he may have successfully closed games more often than not, he took years off of my heart.

Ravine Guest

Cheddar bob, I asked that question because being at the park provides a perspective, on certain things, which is not provided otherwise. I value your opinion on these guys, and I may want to pick your brain, later, if it is not already irredeemably chewed up.
    On the Lyon/Jones issue, it looks as though you, Erikd, & I pretty much agree, actually. I, too, fear that we will be wishing Brandon Lyon was more like Todd Jones. Jones was maddening and hair-graying, but over the years many of us came to see him with some affection, as a homeboy. I mean, the guy fuckin' loved being a Detroit Tiger. Kind of difficult to stay mad at a guy like that. Lyon, however, enjoys no such status.
    My original impression was that Lyon was brought here to be the Closer, and I was annoyed by the fact that so many better candidates had been snapped up while the Tigers thumb-twiddled. I think I may have even made a snide remark, here, about the Tigers "scraping him up off of the pavement."
    Since that time, things have changed; now, I'm hearing that Rodney will be closing, at least for the time being. Also, while my bottom line on Lyon is pessimistic, a look at some of his record shows that he can be effective in the set-up role, so if that's where he's going to be, maybe it just might work...
    And to top off the cautiously-cheerful picture I'm trying to paint, our boy 'Nando comes out, today, and throttles the Rangers in the ninth!
    So what the hell. Who knows? Maybe something good will happen this season, after all. I think a lot of us are still somewhat traumatized by last year's ugliness, but I'm sure we can snap out of it pretty quickly if we see some signs of life in these guys.

Lyon pitched poorly the 2nd half last yr, continuing through spring training. Oh well, only 4 million blown this time. It sure looks like we have our closer of the future in Perry. Rodney looked very good yesterday. Good life on the fastball and the change-up was sinking. I hate it when he fools batters with the change but it's belt high. Someone eventually sits on one. Robertson's slider looked decent but if he can't throw 88-89 his fastball is going to get hit because he's never been the guy who can spot it on the corners consistently. All in all a great day for the pitching staff - 5 guys and a total of 2 hits from a tremendous Texas line-up.

I think if Robertson can embrace his role in the pen, then he can be solid. He'll pitch 1-2 innings every 2-3 games, and doesn't have to worry about carrying a game into the 6th. He can be more aggressive with his pitches and worry less about pitching, and more about imposing his will on batters.

I think the first series of the season can be a little misleading, the dust still needs to get shaken off because you're still technically in ST mode. I think if Jackson, Gallaraga, and Verlander pitch well, and we get good outings from Miner, then we should be fine...

Great comeback win today. Jackson settled down and kept it within reach. Inge's single was even more impressive than another home run. Taking the ball back up the middle is what made him a decent hitter in 06.

D.mcc: I agree with you that Robertson needs to accept his relief role [[and maybe hope for a spot start here and there so they don't put too much wear and tear on Porcello's arm). However, his velocity yesterday only got up at 88-89, not the 92-93 that he topped out at in 2006/07. He's got to learn to pitch differently than he used to, because he just doesn't have the speed to bust hitters inside any more.

Great come from behind victory today. I thought it was poetic justice that Jackson didn't get the L when he probably deserved one, since he didn't get the W last week when he left the game with a 3-1 lead.

Ravine Guest

If Robertson's arm has leaked away some mustard and he has to adjust to pitching somewhat differently, I would guess that Nate is the guy most likely to be able to make that adjustment. All it takes is a few minutes, of listening to Nate talking, to notice that he's no dumb-ass jock.
    Zach Miner is Bereft Of Groove, today. A cold, rumbly day. No fun to be at a game like this one, but it sure is OK watching it in HDTV from my couch. Think I'll go turn the heat up a notch.
    Last edited by Ravine; April-13-09 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Not telling cuz it proves that I'm an idiot

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    A cold, rumbly day in Chicago. No fun to be at a game like this one, but it sure is OK watching it in HDTV from my couch.
    Apparently the HDTV isn't helping much. How's the weather in Detroit, where the game was actually played?

Ravine Guest

BASTARD! I JUST NOW edited that post, to avoid proving what a MORON I can be!
    Best Ravine-Burn ever, my esteemed agent-provocateur associate.
    That will teach me to not turn the game on and "monitor" it while doing other things, eh?
    Heh. Seems like the other team coming to the plate at the top of the inning would provide sufficient cause for me to wake the fuck up.
    But, I have no defense; alas,I am bested & beat, with the ragged likes of Cheddar Bob having vanquished me!
    The shame is too great.
    "Woman! Where is my gun? Bring it to me, forthwith, and dawdle not!"

Busted.

Wherever they were playing, the pitching still sucked.

Ravine Guest

Busted, indeed. I had just returned to the thread, after editing that post, to find Cheddar Bob smirking after pulling my shorts up over my head and slapping me.
    Only in baseball do you have crazy shit like a guy hitting his 300th HR immediately after a guy hitting his 300th HR.

Inge is #2 in OBP and #1 in HRs.

Maybe the new wide stance is allowing him to make contact with more balls?

cheddar bob Guest

Hey at least you knew the game was on and could watch it. I took a nap thinking that I would be able to look forward to watching the game tonight. I got in the car to go to work at about 3:30 and was pissed and dissappointed to hear the game already on. Fuck.

I have 2nd row club tickets for tomorrow's day game.

Let me know if you want them... I can't go and will let them go for LESS than face value.

I made it to 6 of their first 7 games this season, only missing Porcello's debut. I'm pretty hopeful from what I've seen so far. Game 1 was a nightmare, but it's only gotten better.

Couple thoughts/predictions:
    Inge is going to have a career year.
    Cabrera hits the ball harder than anybody I've ever seen. He'll contend for the triple crown all season.
    Our pitching staff is going to surprise everybody I think.
    Miner is not a major league starter. Robertson will make it back into the rotation.
    This division is wide open and the Tigers, assuming a few things go their way, will be contending late into the season.
    Brandon Lyon will never be named the team's closer.

Happy baseball season.

I'm glad to see Rodney looking like 06 Rodney.

Inge changing his stance may be the greatest thing ever.

Josh Anderson should be a full time outfielder. Can you imagine how much ground him and Grandy would cover out there? Keep Santiago at short and you have 3 guys that can lay down bunts, steal bases, and manufacture runs. Those are the types of teams that win the World Series.

Solid win today, Rodney closing well again. Couple of wild pitches by n00b Ryan Perry let the ChiSox threaten, but he got out of it.

Time for the song:
    http://bethepower.com/music/gogetemtigers.mp3

Ravine Guest

Everybody knows I love Inge, but Galarraga is really winning my admiration. What a fuckin' stoic. He looks like he would wear the same expression even if all hell broke loose, but there is no way for us to test that theory, because when he's out there, it never does.
    I realize that the Jurrjens trade directly fed into the Galarraga acquisition, so the following What-If is not really applicable, but Damn! What If...

For the most part I like what I see so far. But remember, there are still 153 games left!! Don't get too excited over a hot start for this guy or a slow start for that guy. Look how Cabrera started off last year and how he ended up. And who was that kid a few years ago, Chris someone [[?), the redhead, who had 10 homers in the first month or so. Where is he now? It's a long, long season. I think we have as good a chance as anyone, but ... I'm not saying don't get your hopes up, and I hope Inge has a great season, but it's a bit early to be talking about career years based on 9 games. If we can stay relatively healthy we've got a good chance.

Ravine Guest

A post which could be applied to any season at the nine-game point, Jim. I'm sure you have more incisive opinions than the un-dated canned goods you just served up. Don't be shy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    A post which could be applied to any season at the nine-game point, Jim. I'm sure you have more incisive opinions than the un-dated canned goods you just served up. Don't be shy.
    Well...Nine games in this season still looks a lot better than 9-games in last season

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast