Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

For the most part I like what I see so far. But remember, there are still 153 games left!! Don't get too excited over a hot start for this guy or a slow start for that guy. Look how Cabrera started off last year and how he ended up. And who was that kid a few years ago, Chris someone [[?), the redhead, who had 10 homers in the first month or so. Where is he now? It's a long, long season. I think we have as good a chance as anyone, but ... I'm not saying don't get your hopes up, and I hope Inge has a great season, but it's a bit early to be talking about career years based on 9 games. If we can stay relatively healthy we've got a good chance.

Ravine Guest

A post which could be applied to any season at the nine-game point, Jim. I'm sure you have more incisive opinions than the un-dated canned goods you just served up. Don't be shy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    A post which could be applied to any season at the nine-game point, Jim. I'm sure you have more incisive opinions than the un-dated canned goods you just served up. Don't be shy.
    Well...Nine games in this season still looks a lot better than 9-games in last season

It's about time I chime in on Detroit's Boys of Summer. Now since being seriously singed and torched for their debacle last season, my emotional roller coaster has finally eased up and I can finally look at them somewhat objectively again [[although there will always be the distraction of the Lions, Pistons and impending Stanly Cup title defense by the Wings).

I really didn't follow Dombrowski's wheeling & dealing over the summer mainly because I had lost a fair amount of faith in the man [[again, see last season). Leyland seemed like a man who was tossed an anvil in the churning seas as well. The team that had brought us so much joy by getting to the World Series had lost me for awhile.

But since watching peripherally a few games, this doesn't look like the same team on several fronts and yet still has some very good points to observe. Offensively we've still got some solid weapons in Cabrera, a faltering Guillen, Ordonez, Granderson, and hopefully a much needed slap hit from Polanco from time to time. Defensively we seem a bit stronger in the infield [[Inge at 3B has always seem like a good fit to me) although Everett & Laird are unknowns to me so far. Anything straight away centerfield I have no problem but on either side of Granderson, I will have to question their range and strength of their arms. Pitching will always be a conundrum here.

I totally expected Bonderman, Verlander, Galarraga and had high hopes for Miner, Robertson and Willis to regain some form to be the back bone of this team. It seems as though Edwin Jackson has stepped in place of Bonderman and while I'm still not a firm believer that Porcello is the next coming of Nolan Ryan, I really had hopes that he'd still be in the minors honing his craft at the beginning of this season. The relievers were going to be a total disaster based upon what I saw last season but looking at the numbers, Rodney seems to have accepted the role pretty well and seems to be throwing worthy heat. I just hope he doesn't give us all clumps of gray hair like Todd Jones did the last few years- very serviceable but scary to watch as a fan.

And after just checking, the lads are tied for first in their division. Woo hoo. Whether that will last for the next 170+ games will be a trick. They surprised me a few years back getting so close and they did it with very little hype or fanfare prior to. I will always be cautiously optimistic about this team- they are OUR Detroit Tigers- our hometown team. I will bleed blue and orange for them because they are the locals and in a way, represent our fair city. I hope they do better than .500 and will continue to improve. They shocked us all once and just maybe they can do it again. A little bit of confidence, some timely hitting, a few well placed strikes, and a lack of injury to the big guns... and who knows?

Anything straight away centerfield I have no problem but on either side of Granderson, I will have to question their range and strength of their arms
    I never thought Ordoñez was a problem. His leg still wasn't 100% when we made it to the World Series, but he still seemed to get the job done. Guillen, on the other hand, I haven't seen him tested enough to form an opinion. I don't see him running up a wall any time soon, though.

How come there's no sports super thread? These individual threads get pushed down and it's out of sight out of mind.

Willis is pitching tonight. I can't remember a game that I was so excited about, but so afraid to watch. Hopefully he doesn't get shelled.

Inge and Raburn grand slams between the raindrops tonight, the first time since Jim Northrup hit a pair in 1968 [[I listened to that game on the radio) and the first time that two Tigers did so since Al Kaline and Ray Boone in '54.

Inge has 10 homers to lead the team, and is on pace to hit 48...

Inge, Verlander and Jackson's performances have been the pleasant surprises so far this season, and Josh Anderson is hitting around .300, while the old guard of Polanco, Ordonez and Guillen's offense have been disappointing. although Maggs appears to be snapping out of it lately, and Carlos has been on the DL.

Tigers' catching trio of Treanor [[DL for the rest of the season), Laird, and Sardinha have been good defensively but absolutely horrible offensively. Laird is like 1 for 40 and Sardinha is hitting as well as can be expected, which is about twice as often as Laird has lately.

This Tigers' thread is lame so far, compared to last years' but Dontrelle's start tonight was anything but!!

Willis held the good-hitting Rangers to just ONE hit in 6.1 innings and also walking only two and striking out eight, including the side in the second inning..

Tigers with a SHO win 4-0, and remain alone in first, putting a stop to the Rangers 7 game winning streak. Very encouraging outing by the D-Train!!

Tigers' rather pedestrian team offense [[7th in RS and 9th in BA in the AL) has virtually disappeared vs the Orioles Cy Hernandez who made his first start of the season and Cy Bergeson, mustering a total of 3 runs on 12 hits in two games @ the Camden Yards bandbox.. Luke [[Babe) Scott has turned into another Tiger killer ala Joe Crede, hitting two homers in each game, including a grand slam on Willis. Scott has accounted for 9 of the total 12 runs scored by the Orioles. One would think that Leyland might consider IW Luke whenever possible during the remaining two games of the series.

Tigers are extremely fortunate that their pitching and defense has so far helped keep the team above .500, and in first along with the inabilty of any of their competition in the CD to win enough games recently to overcome their losses. But it is of course very unlikely that will continue for an entire season..
    Last edited by Flanders; May-29-09 at 11:24 PM.

Tigers finally win a game at Baltimore 6-3, despite Luke Scott hitting his FIFTH homer of the series in just three games, this one with a man on that tied the game @ 3-3. Scott has now accounted for 11 of the15 runs scored by the Orioles in this four game series. Why could this guy not catch the Swine Flu virus or something earlier this week?? Verlander did not pitch as well as he has for most of his starts in the month of May, giving up 3 runs on 9 hits and striking out 5 in 6 IP..

Clete Thomas was theTigers' POTG, IMO, hitting two solo homers, the last that broke the tie and was the winning run.

Polanco continued his mild season-long struggle at the plate, going 0 fer 5, and now has a .255 BA, and he is also striking out a bit more often, which at his current pace he will K about 45-50 times this season.
    Last edited by Flanders; May-31-09 at 12:18 AM.

I don't see any point in hitting him. They'll just hit a Tigers batter and someone might end up on the disabled list from the brawl that would ensue.

If they were a lousy team and going nowhere I'd be all in favor of giving him a nice purpose pitch thigh bruise.

Absolutely they need to give him some high and inside pitches, but nothing in the strike zone.

Jackson wins his 5th game of the season, 3-0 pitching a two hit gem, with Rodney earning his 10th save in 10 opportunities. It was the Tigers league-leading 7th shutout of the season as well, while being shutout only once themselves. Quite a difference from last season when the team ironically was shutout for the 8th time exactly one year ago.
    Last edited by Flanders; May-31-09 at 03:48 PM.

Get out the brooms, that's 7 wins in a row and they now have the 3rd best record in baseball.

Go Tigers.

Zumaya craps the bed again. He pitches two thirds of an inning and gives up two runs on one hit and three walks. He hit 105 mph on what had to be an inflated gun. I think the speed gun might be the worst thing for Zumaya in that he gets intoxicated with how fast he can throw instead of just throwing strikes. If I'm on the opposing team I'd have the radar gun jacked up even more when he enters the game.

What the hell is up with that little hill that the Astros have in center field? Is this baseball or wacky putt-putt golf?http://waiversharks.com/files/2009/0...-tals-hill.jpg
    Last edited by rjk; June-27-09 at 05:00 AM.

Verlander, Granderson and Jackson make the all-star team.
    It's nice to see Jackson make it since he's been pitching great but doesn't have the record to show for it because he's not getting much run support.
    He gets traded from Tampa Bay because they felt confident with the pitchers they had and now EJ makes the all-star team and none of the TB pitchers didn't make the team. Nice.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009070...don+on+AL+team

Getting way behind then scoring a bunch of runs to make the score close is good schtick.

I was working tonight..Dontrell a 1 Hitter????... I saw him pitch in Miami 3 or 4 years ago a 3 hitter..He was really throwing Strikes and Ground Balls..

Very impressive outing for the D-Train, not only the retiring 17 in a row but the fact that he only had two walks. I hope he can keep it up!

Tigers will go the playoffs. I can feel it.

20. Default

Flipping to the game during breaks in the Wings game, an ardent friend-fan got so frustrated with Luke Scott that he made an old school recommendation. Knock him down. He is simply too comforable at the plate. I don't actually agree with hitting him, but but setting him back on his heels a few times wouldn't hurt.

21. Default

Hit him no but a little "chin music" to wipe that big smile off him is good baseball. Follow that with a big slidr that starts at his head then dives in for a strike. He is way too comfortable.

cheddar bob Guest

I've always been more inclined to the bean ball. I've often remarked, "Why intentionally walk someone, when you could just hit them?".

Ravine Guest

The "chin music" sans hitting a guy is not a viable plan. You want to believe that any pitcher can control their pitches that tightly?
    And, damn sure, I wish we had a guy who could throw a slider that would start out aimed at a guy's face and then gracefully drop right through the strike zone.
    WTF.

I'll keep it brief...

Verlander = gem of a game!

This clearly is a third place team in the Central Division at best.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast