Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My mother worked at a Kroger industrial bakery when I was a kid. They used to put the bread, cakes, brownies, donuts, etc that did'nt ship because they were underweight or something in an area for employees to take home. Eventually Kroger had to stop the practice because employees were taking all of the rejects and more, they had started to steal the items that were going to ship. The policy had to change to one of nobody walks out of the door with anything from the factory. They discarded the non-shippable items instead because of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Once I saw a guy come out of the Avalon Bakery and at least a dozen loaves of bread in the dumpster in the alley. I seriously thought about getting a loaf out - but I thought they'd easily see.
    Avalon used to be very cool about letting their bread go. I would often stop by after hours and knock on the door asking if they had any day old. Most of the time they would come out and politely open the back door to their truck and let you have all you wanted from the leftovers. Lately though, theyve been kinda rude about it and Ive had to resort to the dumpster. Its all good, day old and on top of all the other refuse, no maggots, just flour and water mostly.

My housemate is an amazing dumpster diver, he comes home with the most amazing electronics. Our entire house is stocked with computers, radios, dvd and cd players, speakers, and various stereo equipment, my god it almost looks like Gannons house. My other housemate collects the food. He does go a bit overboard and brings home way to much stuff but theres always plenty to eat. He mostly gets his stuff from Cappucine though. Ive never gotten sick and think anyone who wouldnt eat food out of my kitchen is a damn Pansie.Admittedly Id rather be eating out of Lodgedodgers kitchen. Has anyone seen her pies?

Quote Originally Posted by dfunkycity View Post
    I appreciate the offer but my partner and I recently relocated to NYC because its a little easier to find work here.

NY is nice but there is no sense of community at all here.
    What, worse than LA? What part of NYC are you in, exactly? Not criticizing, just wanting more info. Detroit may not have the jobs, but other parts of the US may.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Avalon used to be very cool about letting their bread go. I would often stop by after hours and knock on the door asking if they had any day old. Most of the time they would come out and politely open the back door to their truck and let you have all you wanted from the leftovers. Lately though, theyve been kinda rude about it and Ive had to resort to the dumpster. Its all good, day old and on top of all the other refuse, no maggots, just flour and water mostly.

My housemate is an amazing dumpster diver, he comes home with the most amazing electronics. Our entire house is stocked with computers, radios, dvd and cd players, speakers, and various stereo equipment, my god it almost looks like Gannons house. My other housemate collects the food. He does go a bit overboard and brings home way to much stuff but theres always plenty to eat. He mostly gets his stuff from Cappucine though. Ive never gotten sick and think anyone who wouldnt eat food out of my kitchen is a damn Pansie.Admittedly Id rather be eating out of Lodgedodgers kitchen. Has anyone seen her pies?
    Destitute, or just playing the capitalist [[and charitable) system?

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post

I do find the supposed political point of the "freegan" movemement to be perplexing. How are they making a point by protesting the excesses of capitalism by behaving in such a way that makes their subsistence depend on those excesses?
    It is similar the the way E.L.F gets their point across by burning down Land Rover dealerships and new housing developments. I think it goes over like a lead baloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Destitute, or just playing the capitalist [[and charitable) system?

I wouldnt call myself destitute, Im fairly comfortable but my standards are probably lower than most, I really dont need much. Playing the capitalist system? If Cappucine is throwin out veggies and bread I really dont consider that playing the capatilist system, just using whats going to waste.

Im really not familiar with the freegan movement or their ideals, Ive dived dumpsters for many years but havent in a few, Ive left that to others in my household for the most part.

That is the best vivid descriprtion of Eastern Market I have ever read . You capture the very spirit of the place.

Thank you.

PK

I used to get huge flour sacks full of bread from Avalon to freeze. You can get all the bread you need for three months in one run if you have a chest freezer. It is a very clean dumpster too, as the only thing that goes in it is bread.

When I lived in Seattle the Trader Joe's dumpster was legendary. Much good produce taken from there and from a nearby co-op.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3