Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
I have no problem with people interested in finding out about the history of the city, or being curious about the city's abandonment. I think it is great when people learn about the city. The reason that I asked why the person was asking is that there have been a rash of these threads lately, and I wanted to know for what purpose the original poster wanted to learn this information.

At the same time, I do not think anyone can really learn about the city without visiting it. I understand that this may not be easy for many people [[I live far away myself, and only get to the city periodically), but I have been to some of the areas of the city that have been hardest hit, and have become involved with the Georgia Street Community Collective to help one group's effort to improve there neighborhood.

My point is that curiosity is fine, and I am happy to help people learn as much as they can. However, I also believe that learning about a topic like the city of Detroit is not abstract. You can learn a great deal from books, this Forum, and other online sites, but I encourage everyone to visit the city, to explore it, to spend money in the city, and to do whatever you can to help the problems, rather than just marveling at them.
I completely agree with you. The only problem that I have is that spending money in this City doesn't get you or anyone else futher... I hope to god that the City is able to appropriate their finances to fit the needs of their people. We live in Livonia and actually frequent the sports venues and also dine in the downtown area every weekend. I hope that the City is able to gather themselves, create a good school system and bring the citizens of the city together without trying to spend dollars to bring the burbs to the downtown area. FOCUS on the residents who pay their city taxes. Nice post BTW.