Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Who ya callin' chicken?!?!
    The babies are growing up!

What a great shot of the triplets Gingellgirl thanks!

I wouldn't want to be a pigeon in Mt. Clemens.

There is a lot of fragrant honeysuckle blossoming in our neighborhood right now.

A bird can die of a cause that would not show outwardly. In the spring, lawn chemicals could be the culprit. As a rehabber I have seen many parent birds and their babies die from pesticide poisoning. The homeowner who brings the babies [[often a whole nest) often seems clueless and declares that they don't use any chemicals, just lawn chemicals [[as if lawn chemicals are somehow exempt). There is a reason the guys who apply the lawn chemicals wear thick rubber gloves and place those tiny skull-and-crossbones signs on the lawn.

I suspect it's honeysuckle.

Lilacs, maybe? I love lilacs!

I've been watching the chicks practice their take-off skills! I don't think they're going to be on camera too much longer. They just may leave the nest today for good. IMO

Then what will I use to waste my time on?

They're flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are photos!

Thanks Gg for the photos!

The trio is doing a lot of the same this morning and showing off their wing span to one another! I have not actually seen one of them fly away from the outer ledge yet. But they sure are active now.

Bon voyage my fine feathered friends. Its been a blast watching you grow. Happy hunting.

Lorax Guest

I hope they eat Batts, since we've got a plump one here on the forum.

Just ten minutes ago I watched a flock of sparrows chasing a hawk. The hawk was missing a few feathers. I don't know how it ended. They flew out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I hope they eat Batts, since we've got a plump one here on the forum.
    I don't think that will work - they do tend to regurgitate.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    I don't think that will work - they do tend to regurgitate.
    LOL!!

No nutritional value in Batts, I guess.

Or any other kind of value.

^^

Have not seen the babies in several days. I think they've gone off to fend for themselves!

Now what can I waste my time on?

Update....

The three new falcons fledge; Cass, Tucker and Wetzel ready to leave nest soon
    MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich., June 16, 2009 – The three new falcons fledge; Cass, Tucker and Wetzel ready to leave nest soon – The new baby Peregrine falcons have begun to stretch their wings and take to the sky. Kariann Anderson, falcon caretaker from the Department of Natural Resources and Fledge Watch Volunteer Sue Stevens saw male falcon Wetzel circling the County Building in Mount Clemens on Monday, June 15.
    Soon afterward, the two female falcons – Tucker and Cass – decided to leave the southeast ledge on the 11th Floor to take their first flights, too.“Wetzel had a bit of an awkward landing, but he made it safely to the roof,” said Anderson. “Cass and Tucker look like strong fliers, too.”Anderson gave a bird’s-eye account of the new falcons’ first flights.“I saw Tucker on the roof of the County Building while Cass flew to the ledge,” said Anderson.
    “Then Tucker flew toward the Court Building and came back to land on the County Building next to one of the stone heads near the top. Cass then crossed Cass Avenue, flew to the Administration Building and then returned to the southeast corner of the County Building. Wetzel was in the corner of the top tier above the nest the whole time Tucker and Cass flew.”Cass, Tucker and Wetzel are going to hone their hunting skills under the guidance of their parents, Nick and Hathor, and then soon leave their home in Mount Clemens to find territory of their own.

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/index.htm

I miss 'em

Are there falcons roosting at the 1st precinct building at 1300 Beaubien? We went to Greektown last night, and parked at Beaubien/Macomb, and there was some major loud squawking going on. I didn't know if it was real birds, or a recording to keep birds away, but it was coming from the level below the roof. It looked like a good falcon location to me.

There are a pair of Peregrine Falcons who nested at the AT&T Building again this year. They had 2 young who are now flying and hunting around downtown Detroit. On June 17th, they would still have been young enough to be calling to the parents to let them know where they were located and asking for food.

Anybody know if any falcons are nesting on the Macomb County building again? Do they still have that camera?

They were in 2010, and hopefully again in 2011.
    http://www.macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/index.htm

The webcam at http://www.macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/webcam.htm isn't functioning now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3