Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Just saw the mom fly away with something in her mouth. I hope one of the babies didn't die overnight!

I've been enjoying the falcon cam, but now I have a Kestrel hanging out by my house. I think he's living in my neighbors tree. Saw him catch and eat a sparrow on my neighbors roof the other day. I'll try and get a pic.

I tuned in just in time to see mom fly off. She stayed gone for a little over 1/2 an hour. In that time I got to see their 3 little heads bobbing around somewhat. Nearing the 1/2 hour mark, they started getting a little more active with looking around. Mom swooped in and sat on them for a few minutes - then took off again. She's feeding them breakfast now.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Looks like a Red-tailed hawk. Hawks, accipiters, and falcons have different silhouettes. A fine bird, dutifully helping to keep the rodent population in check!
    looks like a light-phase gyrfalcon to me, possibly a Goshawk . Goshawks have a less-splayed wing shape than most hawks, and the coloring/tail shape is right, but the head says "falcon" - too bad there isn't a better shot

5. Default

I heard on the news in Windsor that there's a pair with hatchings living under the bridge as well.

PEREGRINE FAMILY EXPANDS

2009-05-13 21:17:49
    A family of rare birds is a little larger locally. A pair of Peregrine Falcons that's living under the Ambassador Bridge has 2 baby chicks. It's positive news to the Canadian Peregrine Foundation which says the birds were driven to extinction in the city because of pesticide use. Co-ordinator Dennis Patrick says these are the first babies to hatch in many years.

http://www.am800cklw.com/headlines.php

Is Maroun charging them rent?

If he's not collecting a toll on them, he will probably figure out a way to take credit for them nesting there!

Lunchtime for the Peregrines!

Awwww - thanks Gingel! I've been watching them here and there but have not seen such a clear shot of all three!! This is a really cool post from you!

Mom has gone to get breakfast. The little guys are bobbing their heads around. Soooo cute!

Mom's feeding them their Sunday morning breakfast. They are very active right now.

I think mom and dad took off with the chicks. I checked the webcam out late yesterday and the nest was empty and it is still empty this morning....hummmm

No worries, they're still there. Just watched all 3 feeding. They are getting big but not ready to leave yet. I think they are spending time in another area of the nest that is off camera, because I've checked at times and did not see them.

Awesome! I was just going to type that I didn't see anything when the mother or father walked right in front of the camera and hung out in the corner for a minute. How do you tell which is Nick and which is Hathor?

Whew! Thanks DR for checking on them. We've been gone all day and I've worried about them!!! LOL I guess with all the time I've spent watching over them I feel I sorta have parental rights or something - HAHAHA. I didn't think they were old enough to leave yet.

Alley - I think Nick is the one with lots of spotty looking feathers on the breast. That was the one that was looking around all nervous and stuff while watching them for about 10 minutes one day to give mom a break. And as soon as she came back-he was outta there.

It is just so neat to be able to watch nature this close.

Default Trio of peregrine falcon chicks getting names today

I'm holding out for Larry, Curly and Moe . . .
    Trio of peregrine falcon chicks getting names today
    http://www.freep.com/article/20090527/NEWS04/90527007

They've cleaned the window and repositioned the camera. Wonder if they'll show the banding live?

The chicks have names: Tucker, Wetzel and Cass.
    Amazing!
    That was my second choice for names!
    Guess we'll have to wait for the next brood for Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

WXYZ has a story online . . . and a video!

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story...YMk-Pdcvw.cspx

Thanks for posting that Gingellgirl.

The father [[?) has just been hanging out on the ledge for a while now. It's nice they cleaned the window!

One chick is peeking in the window and another one is prancing around trying out its wings. How cute!

I had to snag a screenshot of that.

Attachment 1497
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-05-09 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks for the picture Jimaz!

I did catch all three of them peeking in the window shortly after I posted the above. It was so cute to see them do that.

On a sadder note, I had to pluck a dead sparrow off the roof today. No signs of injury. No clues to the cause of death. I only mention it in case it becomes significant in identifying a trend. Such trends are often identified in forums like this.

On a brighter note, I've spotted two baby rabbits scampering around the yard and a few adult rabbits. The first firefly/lightening bug of the season appeared last night.

There's a flowery fragrance out there tonight that I would like to identify. It's not the white Locust tree blossoms or the glorious purple Wisteria blossoms spectacularly crowning one of our Maples. What else is blooming now that has a pleasant fragrance?
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-31-09 at 08:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast