Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Peregrine Falcons On Camera Again Nesting On Building

From today's Detroit News: Falcons on camera again nesting on building
    Two peregrine falcons that nested atop the Macomb County Building in downtown Mount Clemens last year are back this spring with a new nest on the building's 11th floor, and county officials have reinstalled their Web cam to watch their progress. The nest has three eggs that should hatch by late April or early May. The falcons, which county officials have named Nick and Hathor, had three chicks last year. To view the birds, go to www.macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/index.htm.
    The webcam [[direct link) isn't working for me at the moment.

Awww - how neat. Thanks for the link Jimaz

what magnificent creatures. worth getting rid of DDT, aren't they? now if only a bald eagle pair would take up semi-permanent residence on Belle Isle

There's some Peregrine nests in Kensington Metropark.

I worked in the Guardian Bldg when peregrines nested on the roof. That was pre-internet days, so there was a closed circuit TV setup in the lobby. It was quite a treat to watch the nestlings, and have one light on the window sill outside my office before zeroing in on an unwary pigeon.

Default Falconcam Still Inop?

You're most welcome, eriedearie.

Can anyone get the webcam image? In the webpage source code I found what looks like an even more direct link: http://209.131.7.179/home/JViewer.html. 209.131.7.179 is responding to pings normally.

Oh! This link is working for me now. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    There's some Peregrine nests in Kensington Metropark.
    Peregrines at Kensington? This would be very cool. Where at Kensington? Maybe you are thinking of osprey?

Thanks for posting that, Jimaz. Can't wait to see the babys. Birds of prey are awesome to behold. A couple months ago, a hawk flew about 10 feet over my head and lit on the sign in front of the food store at Grand River and Beech. Scared the heck outta me. Wowwee, to see him up close was so cool.

There are/were a pair of nesting hawks in Oakview Cemetary at Main and Rochester, Royal Oak. Haven't seen them grab a squirrel yet, dang it. It's a nice quiet place to sit and have lunch. There are foxes in there too.

Lunchtime for the Peregrines!

Awwww - thanks Gingel! I've been watching them here and there but have not seen such a clear shot of all three!! This is a really cool post from you!

Mom has gone to get breakfast. The little guys are bobbing their heads around. Soooo cute!

Mom's feeding them their Sunday morning breakfast. They are very active right now.

I think mom and dad took off with the chicks. I checked the webcam out late yesterday and the nest was empty and it is still empty this morning....hummmm

The father [[?) has just been hanging out on the ledge for a while now. It's nice they cleaned the window!

One chick is peeking in the window and another one is prancing around trying out its wings. How cute!

I had to snag a screenshot of that.

Attachment 1497
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-05-09 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks for the picture Jimaz!

I did catch all three of them peeking in the window shortly after I posted the above. It was so cute to see them do that.

On a sadder note, I had to pluck a dead sparrow off the roof today. No signs of injury. No clues to the cause of death. I only mention it in case it becomes significant in identifying a trend. Such trends are often identified in forums like this.

On a brighter note, I've spotted two baby rabbits scampering around the yard and a few adult rabbits. The first firefly/lightening bug of the season appeared last night.

There's a flowery fragrance out there tonight that I would like to identify. It's not the white Locust tree blossoms or the glorious purple Wisteria blossoms spectacularly crowning one of our Maples. What else is blooming now that has a pleasant fragrance?
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-31-09 at 08:35 PM.

Lilacs, maybe? I love lilacs!

I've been watching the chicks practice their take-off skills! I don't think they're going to be on camera too much longer. They just may leave the nest today for good. IMO

Then what will I use to waste my time on?

They're flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are photos!

Thanks Gg for the photos!

The trio is doing a lot of the same this morning and showing off their wing span to one another! I have not actually seen one of them fly away from the outer ledge yet. But they sure are active now.

Are there falcons roosting at the 1st precinct building at 1300 Beaubien? We went to Greektown last night, and parked at Beaubien/Macomb, and there was some major loud squawking going on. I didn't know if it was real birds, or a recording to keep birds away, but it was coming from the level below the roof. It looked like a good falcon location to me.

There are a pair of Peregrine Falcons who nested at the AT&T Building again this year. They had 2 young who are now flying and hunting around downtown Detroit. On June 17th, they would still have been young enough to be calling to the parents to let them know where they were located and asking for food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast