Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Okay Danny, start rebutting.

I get DD'S points about Inkster well just "Little Saigon", and as for the planes I live at Mich/Merriman. You get used to the planes. 25 yrs ago I thought Brush Park WAS THE WORST. Burned out mansions, tumbleweeds, and not alot of people. I guess that is why my Uncle let me practice driving. I get amazed by the number of abandoned homes, churches, and etc.
    But this brings me back to another time when my Ex GF lived in Delray and one of my CoWorkers lived a little futher north by Mich/ Livernois. He would tell me that I was nuts for sitting on the porch at night. I said to him well with Fort Green 2 blocks away and the Sherriff,s Patrol with the nightly MSP drive by, I feel safer then at your house.
    But if it ever happens that Rosedale Park becomes the worst neighborhood, then I might say Detroit NO.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalHalf View Post
    I was on Davison and Rosa Parks [[12th st) last night, Friday night, got stopped at the light and all of a sudden it sounded like a bunch of m-80s going off, the kid I was with was in the army, and served in Iraq, he said no way that was fireworks then said it was 6 shots from a AK-47 and 3 return fire shots from something small maybe a 9mm. overall I'm thinking a lot of you who posted were right about the Dexter/Davison/Linwood area. basically a damn war-zone.
    Stay out of war-zones, I guess.

It makes me ask a further question: which part/s of Detroit are much different by night compared to day? Some areas may be relatively safe by day [[even if desolate), but far worse at night.

Is it enough for the DPD to stop your car and warn "don't drive into that area, you won't come back out"?

Is the DPD so under-resourced that they are limited to staying on the perimeter of the "war-zones" and making sure no-one unwittingly goes into those areas?

Not wanting to criticize anyone, but is that how policing works? I can understand it if they are truly stretched.

Does City Hall qualify?

MysticalHalf - I have lived in in the Corridor, Woodbridge, HP & Cultural Center. When I moved to HP my friend used to tell me those booming & popping sounds were back firing cars. One night I said no way... I have since learned to identify AK's, 9mm's, 12 gages and more. I can estimate how far away they are too. Crazy thing is I hear them this time of year during hunting season in the exurbs as well. Duck and cover when ever you hear the 'Fire Works'.

The saddes part about this thread is that - aside from the smartasseswho named some of the suburbs - thee's a very compelling argument for just about every area mentioned area.

Still, I gotta go City Hall as well...

[quote=mcsdetroitfriend;72831..... The area where Harpos Concert Theatre/The I-Rock is on Harper Ave is terrible. T.........[/quote]

Geez, I used to have so much fun all through there! I hate hearing that. But, even in the 70s, we always traveled in groups. It was just smart, especially when drinking. Still, that sucks so bad.

I love neighborhoods that don't look "manufactured", where you can just buy a lot and build. Detroit has so many of these, I hate to see them go to seed like this. You can go for miles without seeing ANY spray-on stucco.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhugger View Post
    MysticalHalf - I have lived in in the Corridor, Woodbridge, HP & Cultural Center. When I moved to HP my friend used to tell me those booming & popping sounds were back firing cars. One night I said no way... I have since learned to identify AK's, 9mm's, 9 gadges and more. I can estimate how far away they are too. Crazy thing is I hear them this time of year during hunting season in the exurbs as well. Duck and cover when ever you hear the 'Fire Works'.
    What's a " 9 gadges" is that a new shotgun shell I'm not aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    How could you leave out Livonia?
    Most certainly Livonia, home of KKK and the police will stop you just for DWB, plus Warren north of 8 south of 696, east of Mound. All trash trash trash. Actually all of the Eastside except GP, GPP and Harperwoods.
    Last edited by exdetroiter; October-09-09 at 09:36 AM.

Trainman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Most certainly Livonia, home of KKK and the police will stop you just for DWB, plus Warren north of 8 south of 696, east of Mound. All trash trash trash. Actually all of the Eastside except GP, GPP and Harperwoods.
    Livonia is home of the KKK? I did not know this? If so, then prove it.

What I do know is that we voted NO for the DARTA which was the Detroit Area Regional Transportation Authority.

The agreement which made DARTA possible did not protect over $70 Million per year in state fuel tax money to operate city of Detroit buses which was to be contracted out to other agencies without stated preferences as agreed upon with labor unions and based on a vote of the public first in SMART and DDOT jurisdictions to agree on funding. This was made well known in the news but maybe you live in a cave?

The city of Livonia is against racial discrimination and did not vote out SMART. The fact is we voted out DARTA.

The choice at the voting booth was

YES, we want DARTA and the elimination of all state fuel taxes to operate buses as this was not in writing.

NO, we want Livonia Transit and we want to fight with the blacks of Detroit by going against the illegal DARTA agreement.

The vast majority of Livonia residents are against the transit cuts from Lansing which are indeed discrimination against not just blacks but all races, the handicapped and the low income without acquiring alternative facilities and industry support first as agreed upon by a vote of the majority.

Alternative funds were not acquired first in the case of the Livonia Opt Out, which is legally why your taxes will not be lowered if you vote NO next August 2010 regarding the SMART property tax renewal. It makes no difference how you vote unless this tax is raised and then only the increase can be defeated.

Please learn the facts before you post.

See Trainman’s save… in DETROIT LINKS

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I'd have to say the area bounded by Jefferson, Woodward, Larned, and Randolph.
    You took the words right out of my mouth, 'Retroit'.
    A little more REAL help from that area would be nice.
    Maybe lines of protest, with participants bearing torches.

Have to say that the area west of Central and south of W Warren, back by the tracks along MacDonald, down to about Radcliff turned to the scariest part of the city almost overnight. A buddy had a welding shop down there and I'd cut thru frequently. Probably the one and only time I've ever driven down a street in Detroit, and made the mental note not to go that way ever again.

I had no idea the Dexter/Davison/Linwood area was so high on people's lists. I live there now on a street that dead-ends at Central High...haven't had any problems and neither have my neighbors. Very quiet at night, buzzing during the day with kids playing, neighbors walking dogs and what not. Even lost one of my dogs letting him out once and several in the neighborhood helped me look for him [[he was found). Lots of middle-aged to senior citizens in the neighborhood that keep their yards up and look out for each other. Two fairly large churches in the area, too, and have had very few run-ins with panhandlers at gas stations. The number of liquor stores in the area is concerning, but not a problem.

The area directly northeast of Russell Woods, sandwiched between Livernois and Dexter, is a bit rough -- particularly Elmhurst Ave. The streets east of Dexter/west of Linwood/north of Davison with two-family flats [[Webb, Tuxedo, Cortland, Sturtevant, etc.) are hit or miss IMO. There's an elementary school right in the middle of that area, but the blighted apartment buildings and empty flats aren't pretty.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by afoley View Post
    I had no idea the Dexter/Davison/Linwood area was so high on people's lists. I live there now on a street that dead-ends at Central High...haven't had any problems and neither have my neighbors. Very quiet at night, buzzing during the day with kids playing, neighbors walking dogs and what not. Even lost one of my dogs letting him out once and several in the neighborhood helped me look for him [[he was found). Lots of middle-aged to senior citizens in the neighborhood that keep their yards up and look out for each other. Two fairly large churches in the area, too, and have had very few run-ins with panhandlers at gas stations. The number of liquor stores in the area is concerning, but not a problem.

The area directly northeast of Russell Woods, sandwiched between Livernois and Dexter, is a bit rough -- particularly Elmhurst Ave. The streets east of Dexter/west of Linwood/north of Davison with two-family flats [[Webb, Tuxedo, Cortland, Sturtevant, etc.) are hit or miss IMO. There's an elementary school right in the middle of that area, but the blighted apartment buildings and empty flats aren't pretty.
    When people start pulling out the "this neighborhood scares the bejeezus out of me" anecdotes, it really speaks more to which parts of town they're the least familiar with than which ones are objectively the worst. People are much less likely to be afraid of an area where they've lived or spent a lot of time than an area that they've driven through once or twice, whether or not it's actually any safer.

I would say it's the Dexter-Linwood area from Davison down to Grand River, there might be a few elegant addresses in there like along Boston Blvd and Chicago and that but, 14th Street, 12th Street and so on those areas are hit, 14th ends at Purtain and 12th ends at 6 Mile and those areas could be included in this too. Also the area around 7 Mile and Van Dyke is pretty bad, I use to live in that area on Stockton and on Quinn, it wasn't that bad when I lived there but I've gone back and it seems to have gotten a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Recycling Guy View Post
    Campaigned all over the city. Had a gun pulled on me and staff in Delray. I live in the corridor, so my normal baseline neighborhood gives me a slightly unique perspective. Brightmoor is rough. Dexter Davison is tough. Saratoga neighborhood [[7 / hayes-ish) statistically is the most dangerous as far as violent crimes per capita.

Personally, the most dangerous area is royal oak around midnight on weekends when the tequila and jager shot gangs of drunken 23 year olds are staggering around thinking that they are superman. No reasoning with them apples.
    Where was the gun pulled on you in the D-Ray?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3