The many threads about Tiger Stadium -- and comments I've made, like "tear that **** down" -- had me thinking about preservation of the past. First, I want to clearly state that I am absolutely in favor of maintaining buildings and artifacts of years gone by. I've become an avid history buff in my later years, and recognize the need for their preservation when possible and practical.

Practicality did not exist with Tiger Stadium. It was a tired structure, badly in need of serious repair, and not condusive to any use other than a sports arena. Comerica Park is an excellent replacement for he old ball park, thus I cry not. Sure, I have memories there....hell, I go back to the Hank Greenberg days when Harry Heilmann was the radio announcer. But in the case of Bennett Park/Navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium, there was no practical use to maintain he structure once Comerica Park opened. Thus, begone.

For an "old" building to continue its life, it MUST be maintained. If it is not maintained, it begins to crumble and deterioriate. I could use MCS as an example, but I'll use a newer one. Detroit Police Headquarters at 1300 Beaubien, built in 1921, was a beautiful, Kahn-built structure. Beginning about 1960, I could see it beginning to fall apart. The city did not maintain it at all. Ah, they swept the floors and emptied the trash [[occasionally), but there was no system in place of regular preventative maintenance. I put the blame for most of that on the high ranking police administrators, from Edward Piggins on down to Bill Hart and whatever clowns they have running the place today. The plumbing leaks like a seive, the sewers are constantly plugged, and the steam heat is erratic. The fifty or so window air conditioners in the building cost more in electricity in one summer than it would be to install central air.

Anyway, 1300 Beaubien within 50 years will fall if it doesn't fall apart on its own. That's just one example.

Some of the Victorian buildings along Michigan and Grand River and Gratiot are excellent examples of period architecture. As they are in private hands, I can only hope that the current owners treat them as the treasure of the past that they are. A great example is that triangular building right next to Tiger Stadium at Michigan and Cochrane.

Small towns in Michigan are rich in buildings from the 1800s. Drive down the main drags in Milford, or South Lyon, or Kalkaska and I'll guarantee you'll see buildings with "1874" proudly displayed on the cornice. I hope these buildings are around for hundreds of years to come....but they've got to have good maintenance.

Nope, I love "old". I love America's heritage. But Tiger Stadium received its deserved fate.