Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

He also said he's open to fresh ideas for closing the city's budget gap, including an admission fee for Belle Isle. "You'll constantly hear folks say Belle Isle is a gem," Bing said, "and it was, and maybe it can be again, but I don't think it is today."

The city clearly can't afford to maintain Belle Isle as a top-notch park, but Bing's not charging a fee yet.

By Tom Walsh
    Free Press Columnist
    [Bing to Detroit: 'Change ... or get left behind'] 9/23/09-->
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009092...t-left-behind-
    Almost shed a tear while reading this article this morning. Belle Isle has always been a Detroit treasure to me. Not perfect, but that has been part of the appeal.

Rather than questioning Belle Isle [["...maybe it can be again..."), I'd rather hear voices defending it. However, dire circumstances apparently compel.

Are they talking an annual pass, for say $5? Or, pay each visit?

I personally think it's a great idea for motor vehicles. Parks generally don't charge admission for peds and bikes. Charging fees for public use can make it more difficult to get certain grants, but I imagine that would be especially true if peds and bikes were charged.

Someone mentioned this might make Belle Isle sustainable -- perhaps, but likely not. Parks rarely survive just on user fees unless you're pulling in big bucks from camping or other fee-based facilities.

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Almost shed a tear while reading this article this morning. Belle Isle has always been a Detroit treasure to me. Not perfect, but that has been part of the appeal.

Rather than questioning Belle Isle [["...maybe it can be again..."), I'd rather hear voices defending it. However, dire circumstances apparently compel.

Are they talking an annual pass, for say $5? Or, pay each visit?
    Bing is so fucking clueless you just want to shake him and shout, "WAKE UP!" He absolutely no understand of the people or the City on a human level. Maybe it can be again? Jesus Christ man, Detroiters need the bus and like Belle Isle. Fucking capice? What an asshole.

While I support some variation of charging to get on the Isle, this isn't going to go over well. The grassroots groups are going to pitch a fit. Bing's idea of grassroots is the DAC though, I think.

Charge only for vehicles on weekends. It becomes a congested, unsafe, unpleasant, polluted clusterfuck of tricked out cars. They can cruise someplace else.
    Pedestrians and cyclists free. Reduced admission for residents with vehicles[[then you have to show a valid driver's license...). Run the fucking bus on it again. Does Bing know that a bus used to go to Belle Isle?