Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Oddly I just had a conversation with 9 young, 20-something creatives, 5 women, 4 guys. They're designers, marketers - and where do they all live? Ferndale, Troy and Royal Oak.

Seriously. I was sorta blown away. It actually changed my view a bit.

They'd never consider the city - I brought it up after a work meeting, just for fun, remembering this thread.

"I won't live in Detroit. No services. Troy just cut their libraries, but my streets get plowed in winter. I don't have a library, but I won't have my house broken into."

"The cops won't come."

"Downtown Royal Oak is way more walkable than downtown Detroit. And I'm not scared I'm going to get jumped."

"There's no homeless people."

"Detroit doesn't like gay people."

"My friends are all in Royal Oak. I wanna live where my friends are"

"Downtown of the metro region is Royal Oak. It's not snobby like Birmingham, but not broke ass like Detroit."

Just food for thought. I think that even the cut services in Troy are better than Detroit's best services, in the eyes of many. They know Detroit, I've taken then drinking in Detroit, they go to Tiger games, they go to Wings games. They all want mass transit so they can come down to events, but typically, they use the Night Move right now and it serves their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    Oddly I just had a conversation with 9 young, 20-something creatives, 5 women, 4 guys. They're designers, marketers - and where do they all live? Ferndale, Troy and Royal Oak.

Seriously. I was sorta blown away. It actually changed my view a bit.

They'd never consider the city - I brought it up after a work meeting, just for fun, remembering this thread.

"I won't live in Detroit. No services. Troy just cut their libraries, but my streets get plowed in winter. I don't have a library, but I won't have my house broken into."

"The cops won't come."

"Downtown Royal Oak is way more walkable than downtown Detroit. And I'm not scared I'm going to get jumped."

"There's no homeless people."

"Detroit doesn't like gay people."

"My friends are all in Royal Oak. I wanna live where my friends are"

"Downtown of the metro region is Royal Oak. It's not snobby like Birmingham, but not broke ass like Detroit."

Just food for thought. I think that even the cut services in Troy are better than Detroit's best services, in the eyes of many. They know Detroit, I've taken then drinking in Detroit, they go to Tiger games, they go to Wings games. They all want mass transit so they can come down to events, but typically, they use the Night Move right now and it serves their needs.
    Just two questions.

1) Are the twenty-somethings all White?
    2) Were they all born in Metro Detroit or transplants?