Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would concur with the poster above that the structure seems like it is being watched more closely by police than before. A few months ago when I was there taking a few pictures a cop rode by on a motorcycle and took a long look inside before leaving.

I would also add that all the front columns have been cleaned of graffiti. Now, if they would only power wash the entire front, it would look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    You should get a shirt made that says "Matty Moroun is My Homeboy" so I know who to cockpunch when I see you walking down the street.

I am friends with a tour manager working with ABC, and with Jennifer Hetzel, one of the owners of ABC. I'm on the list to help clean out the building next month , so yeah. I'll be sure to send you pics when i'm in.

MCS is one of the most open buildings in Detroit. If you drive around it, I am sure you will find a way in.

As far as GOING in, I strongly advise against it. I have noticed much heavier police presence there.

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    MCS is one of the most open buildings in Detroit. If you drive around it, I am sure you will find a way in.

As far as GOING in, I strongly advise against it. I have noticed much heavier police presence there.

Completely Agree, getting in is the easy part, staying in without being caught is the hard part! Unless you're Eminem or in the set of Transformers, they'll be looking for you!
    Easiest place in Detroit to get into is the Packard Plant, there is seriously nothing stopping you, just walk in between to concrete barriers that are about a foot tall. Or the Fisher Body 21, entrances on both sides. It's ashame they arent more sealed off, scrappers are ripping them apart!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared9903 View Post
    I am friends with a tour manager working with ABC, and with Jennifer Hetzel, one of the owners of ABC. I'm on the list to help clean out the building next month , so yeah. I'll be sure to send you pics when i'm in.
    You won't be in the building unless you're working with a licensed asbestos removal contractor. After that the only way you'll ever get in there legally is working for a general contracting firm, or unless someone lets you in from the company

How do I know because I deal directly with ABC being vice-president of Michigan Central Station Preservation Society Inc. Also by the way Jennifer is married so Hetzel is not her last name anymore.

Sorry to disappoint
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; September-23-09 at 12:15 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Jared9903 View Post
    Easiest place in Detroit to get into is the Packard Plant, there is seriously nothing stopping you, just walk in between to concrete barriers that are about a foot tall.
    Yes - dont mind the shotgun wielding guards in the black pickup trucks, just walk right in.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Yes - dont mind the shotgun wielding guards in the black pickup trucks, just walk right in.
    haha I never said it was safe to go in, just easy!

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    The best way i have found to get in the building is to simply throw a blanket over the razor wire and climb the fence.
    Are you serious?? Definately not the easiest lol. This is definately one of the easiest places to get into. People shouldn't have to ask how to.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    You won't be in the building unless you're working with a licensed asbestos removal contractor. After that the only way you'll ever get in there legally is working for a general contracting firm, or unless someone lets you in from the company

How do I know because I deal directly with ABC being vice-president of Save Michigan Central Station Inc. Also by the way Jennifer is married so Hetzel is not her last name anymore.

Sorry to disappoint
    My apologies, Jennifer Dennis, I assumed more people would know her as Jennifer Hetzel, and yes, I am talking to many people from the company, as I realized that is my only chance. And no, I am not 100% that I'll ever see the inside other, but I figure being a pessimist will get me nowhere. I am talking to two people in the company who are hoping to have a short-private tour to raise some money for the building. A friend of mine is also good friends with someone who works for ABC, and they are both planning something as soon as the building is cleared.
    Last edited by Jared9903; September-22-09 at 11:58 PM.

ha sounds like the plans I'm hearing about a tour as well, John Mohyi and myself are working on that with Jen and Mr. Maroun's wife [[who is very enthusiastic about the idea) just have to make everything safe first then things are off and running

ha sounds like the plans I'm hearing about a tour as well, John Mohyi and myself are working on that with Jen and Mr. Maroun's wife [[who is very enthusiastic about the idea) just have to make everything safe first then things are off and running
    John Mohyi and Jennifer Dennis are the two I've been getting updates from, I hope it works out, I'd love for this building to have another shot at life. I was signed up to volunteer, but, as I'm sure you know, the City of Detroit wouldn't allow it. I suppose it's a good thing, after hearing about all the news regarding the volunteers that went the previous week.

there ya go, ya john, jen, and myself are the three people you'll want to talk to about those things, [[sorry to have come off as an ass, when you throw out old names i was just making sure you were on the up and up and you proved yourself)....by the way to clear up things John doesn't work for ABC we [[Michigan Central Preservation Society Inc) work along side them. We don't get paid [[yet) by anybody

there ya go, ya john, jen, and myself are the three people you'll want to talk to about those things, [[sorry to have come off as an ass, when you throw out old names i was just making sure you were on the up and up and you proved yourself)....by the way to clear up things John doesn't work for ABC we [[Michigan Central Preservation Society Inc) work along side them. We don't get paid [[yet) by anybody
    haha well thank you for allowing me to prove myself, I did quite a bit of research about the Michigan Central Preservation Society Inc in July [[or early August), I knew John didn't work for ABC, sorry if I was a little unclear, and it made me glad to hear that such an organization exists! I went up to Detroit this weekend and took some pictures of MCS [[from outside the gates, of course) and, though I've seen it so many times before, it was so awe-inspiring, I'm currently using the shots I took for a short video about the ruins of Detroit, and their history for a class at the U of M, I have intros for every building in the video except MCS because I think it's one of the few that doesn't need one. Thank you for trying to save it!

we're doing our best, the best thing is to have the owner and the government on our side its a matter of sprucing it up and making it attractive for a tenant which would convince ABC to do the work; unfortunately the phrase "if you build it they will come" does not hold true in this economy

Take your girlfriend to Coach Insignia.

lol, or to one of the fine restaurants in Mexicantown, low prices lots of food, you won't eat for the rest of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Alright, who's the prankster?

This thread has to be a joke...
    In no timne, police are going to start posting 'dummy threads' [[not to say this is one, but one like this...) to find out what's going on around. It would make their job so much easier! No more hunting for Funk Parties or afterhours events, no more searching the perimeter for access points. Click and read! It's brilliant

For heaven's sake, just take her someplace normal you cheapskate!

it really isn't that hard to find access points, and even if you're feeling lazy just check flickr and you'll find a new set every couple days and the first photo is usually where they got in

The problem scrappers find is recycling places won't cover skin grafts;
    http://www.sbsun.com/breakingnews/ci_13315184

Well, if you play with high voltage live wires and wire cutters, you get burned and skin grafts. No remorse for these Darwin award winners..

these guys are not chev chelios!

mcsdetroitfriend, weren't you and the chorus behind you insisting just a few weeks ago that there was no real asbestos concerns in there? Then how come people can't even enter the train station now without a licensed asbestos removal contractor? Is he required to be there to remove the non-asbestos that you all insisted wasn't to be found in there? I'm confused.

Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonyo exit View Post
    mcsdetroitfriend, weren't you and the chorus behind you insisting just a few weeks ago that there was no real asbestos concerns in there? Then how come people can't even enter the train station now without a licensed asbestos removal contractor? Is he required to be there to remove the non-asbestos that you all insisted wasn't to be found in there? I'm confused.

Do tell.
    A few weeks ago? Try a couple months ago.....I don't remember exactly what I said, I'm pretty sure I tried to alay fears that there wasn't a huge risk, and after talking to an EPA special investigator that remains my belief. The reason I brought up asbestos removal contractor is because you can't take a tour group [[let alone volunteers - now I know) through a building where there is a risk.

The big problem the EPA had was with the kicking up the dust with brooms. However the EPA never tested the dust and I'll say this for probably the fifth time on this forum: They only tested areas where one would expect to find asbestos ie. ductwork.

Now that I know the facts a little better I'd much rather see people view the building from outside unless you've got a good disposable "Devo suit" and a decent face mask or respirator [[though have a respirator I think would be a tad extreme unless you're kicking up dust, by itself the building is airy and there was never any dust clouds by itself) better safe than sorry, because we still don't know exactly what's in the dust though myself and I'm sure many of you have your theories.

Basically anything that could potentially harm the building's future [[people getting cancer, falling down elevator shafts, etc) is a problem and anyway to prevent these problems i will promote and now I'm promoting enjoying the building from the outside
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; September-23-09 at 12:47 PM.

its super easy to get in, there is a giant door under the train bridge on vernor... not that i encorage anyone to go in there... i just saw that opening... and if i had to guess... i would imagine once in there hang a left and walk towards the michigan ave.. till you see light... there just might be an 1' wide opening into the main part of the building.....

but this is all just my guess...
    Last edited by windsor_shane; September-23-09 at 10:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast