Since the city of Detroit can not adequately pay for public bus service without continued revenue sharing from federal and state fuel taxes or other methods at this time, I’m interested in what the public and DY’ers think should be done to improve bus service in order to stop the possible bus service cuts in Detroit

Without improving or replacing DDOT, any effort to get or improve bus service in Livonia or anywhere else in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County will not work to improve our region. This is not my opinion but is a fact. Please challenge, if you disagree with this statement.

What thoughts do you posters have on the following to help prevent the possible bus service cuts that Mr. Bing or others might have to impose in the future? I think we should help the city of Detroit and their leaders.

Extract to change the state constitution

Therefore, it is recommended that we ask our State Legislative delegation to introduce a joint resolution asking the Legislature to place a question on the fall 2006 State-wide ballot, to allow voters to consider a constitutional amendment which would allow metro regions located within the State, no less than one county in size, to authorize a one-half cent sales tax to fund and operate regional rapid transit systems.

While no viable option is in place to fund transit, road funding is also inadequate in our State which features severe winters and heavy truck activity. Therefore, a one-half cent transit sales tax needs to be combined and tie-barred with a one-half cent sales road tax to begin to repair and modernize our infrastructure in a comprehensive fashion.

End of extract

Learn the facts about mass transit funding in Trainman’s save.. under DETROIT LINKS