Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Fifty years from now no one will care. Time heals all wounds.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that "no one will care". I still hear people talk about the Old City Hall demolition from time to time and that was 48 years ago. A better description, in my opinion, is that politicians usually find something else to screw up, thereby moving the public's attention/rage elsewhere.

All of this, of course, would be much easier to deal with if there was another development on that site to replace the OTSC deal.

Which reminds me, today is Day 116 of the Wait for George "Worst Person in the World" Jackson to Announce His Fully-Funded Plan for the Tiger Stadium Site.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Which reminds me, today is Day 116 of the Wait for George "Worst Person in the World" Jackson to Announce His Fully-Funded Plan for the Tiger Stadium Site.
    I'm just waiting for how many days it will be before the DFP announces that Illitch will buy the site for a buck. Any guesses?

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I'm just waiting for how many days it will be before the DFP announces that Illitch will buy the site for a buck. Any guesses?
    Hmmm.....

Well, something like that seems more likely to happen after the election. Perhaps the first Friday after Election Day?

It's amazing how small it looks from the air after all the structures were gone. It looked huge when it was standing.

It's amazing how the sod and the baseball diamond are still there.

Remember Kwame saying all that's stopping retail, manufacturing, etc. from building in Detroit is the lack of large, clear tracks of land and that if he had the Tiger Stadium site there would be lots of developers clammoring for it? Funny, he had such an honest face.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    ^Agree 100% about how many houses could be torn down instead. That's why I thought it was a huge waste.
    From what I read the salvaged scrap metal from the stadium paid the demolition costs in full, so this was not an issue of using funds that could have been used otherwise. The reality of the matter is that maintenance costs for the empty stadium were costing the city around $25,000 per month. How many abandoned homes could that demolish?

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    It's amazing how the sod and the baseball diamond are still there.
    Why not preserve at least the diamond?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Why not preserve at least the diamond?
    When I was down there on Saturday morning, I was chatting with a guy who seemed to be connected to the Tiger Stadium Conservancy. He mentioned the possibility of preserving the diamond and building a small museum to tout the site's history. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

The only thing "unique" about the "treasures" of Detroit is the decades they stand derelict before demolition.
    I would disagree. The only thing unique about our treasures is that we systematically vacate & abandon them in the first place.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; September-22-09 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    He mentioned the possibility of preserving the diamond and building a small museum to tout the site's history. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
    All respect to the OTSC and everyone involved with it, but I'd rather have New Olympia Stadium, to be honest. Let's look forward, not try to save something that for all intents and purposes no longer exists.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; September-22-09 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    From what I read the salvaged scrap metal from the stadium paid the demolition costs in full, so this was not an issue of using funds that could have been used otherwise. The reality of the matter is that maintenance costs for the empty stadium were costing the city around $25,000 per month. How many abandoned homes could that demolish?
    The salvaged scrap metal was supposed to have paid for the demolition, but prices for steel dropped, and the city will pay about $400,000 to have the demolition completed. See this article from September 1, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Nope. The conservancy was paying for all security costs. I believe that the scrap salvage rights paid a large portion of the demolition, but the Conservancy was forced to pay $300,000 out of Escrow, and the DEGC chipped in another $300,000, plus another $100,000 or so after the "elevator debacle." Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You can't expect people to miss or remember something that was closed [[Hudson's-'83) or ceased to exist [[Rotunda- '62) before they were born.
    Bailey, I'm not expecting anybody to miss or remember anything. I'm just echoing Ray's comment that pretty much over time people forget things that are gone. I think more so he was saying that the fight to save the stadium won't be remembered with the same passion as it is right now. People get over stuff with time.

The old Tiger Stadium lot would be a great 'PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY' for a new Red Wings Arena covered with retail and restuarants to fill all of Corktown's needs. That would fill the predestrian life on Michigan Ave. and Trumbull area.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The old Tiger Stadium lot would be a great 'PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY' for a new Red Wings Arena covered with retail and restuarants to fill all of Corktown's needs. That would fill the predestrian life on Michigan Ave. and Trumbull area.
    Interesting idea Danny.

Yes, that's a super idea! Too good to be true, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yes, that's a super idea! Too good to be true, I'm afraid.
    It does kinda make too much sense.

The old Tiger Stadium lot would be a great 'PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY' for a new Red Wings Arena covered with retail and restaurants to fill all of Corktown's needs. That would fill the pedestrian life on Michigan Ave. and Trumbull area.
    Brilliant!!! Assuming, of course, that you're goal is to kill all of the existing businesses in Corktown.

Brilliant!!! Assuming, of course, that you're goal is to kill all of the existing businesses in Corktown.
    How so Fnemecek?

DEGC looking for proposals that could result in the redevelopment of the entire site so that even the footprint of the field would be lost. Another fine job by Geo. Jackson.

http://freep.com/article/20090924/BU...veled-stadium?

7andkelly

Mr. Bing,

Tear down that fence!

Return this field to the people.

How about some civil disobedience and get the DYers to tear down the fence and have a ball game. Can you imagine the feeling of being on that same field of DREAMS.

Maybe we can plant corn around the infield next spring.

Loved that place worked there as a vendor in the 70's.
    Have not been to Comerica park, even though I had the chance.
    my private war.

Quote Originally Posted by PCE View Post
    How so Fnemecek?
    For starters, there's parking.

An NHL arena in most cities requires an enormous amount of parking, which is only in use for 33 days per year [[+ few more if the team goes to the playoffs). When there's no game, the area around the arena is essentially a dead zone. There's no traffic - pedestrian or otherwise - so there's nothing to build a business on.

The best way to mitigate this is build stadiums within walking distance of one another.
    This enables the various teams to share parking so that it's in use for more than just 33 days out of each year. This constant use keeps the area around those parking facilities from becoming a dead zone.

For starters, there's parking.

An NHL arena in most cities requires an enormous amount of parking, which is only in use for 33 days per year [[+ few more if the team goes to the playoffs).
    There are actually a minimum of 46 home hockey games a year. 42 regular season and at least 4 preseason. Plus the possibility of up to 16 home playoff games.

A 20,000 seat hockey stadium only needs half the parking of that 40,000 seat baseball stadium would require.
    Last edited by ndavies; September-24-09 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    There are actually a minimum of 46 home hockey games a year. 42 regular season and at least 4 preseason. Plus the possibility of up to 16 home playoff games.

A 20,000 seat hockey stadium only needs half the parking of that 40,000 seat baseball stadium would require.
    Lots of room for parking structures in the vacant land between Rosa Parks and Trumbull, north of Michigan Ave., south of I-75.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Lots of room for parking structures in the vacant land between Rosa Parks and Trumbull, north of Michigan Ave., south of I-75.
    Yes, but room isn't the issue. It's the fact that said parking structure would only be in use for, at the maximum, 62 days each year. For the other 303 - 319 days, the structure would be completely vacant.

I should also point out that parking structures are much more expensive per parking space than an open parking lot. This is particularly important for something that would be vacant 85% of the time; thereby making the economics that much less feasible. Since such an arena would almost certainly have to use an open air lot for all of its parking, this increases the amount of land that is essentially condemned to always be a part of a dead zone.

In contrast, if the new hockey arena were to remain within walking distance of Comerica Park and Ford Field then the crowd essentially shares the parking spaces. This, in turn, minimizes how much time that parking area is vacant, helps to maintain a steady flow of traffic in the area and makes the development of new retail-based businesses possible.

Oh, and Ndavies - thank you for the correction on the number of home games in an NHL season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast